SD channels quality

I see nothing wrong with your screenshot, quality is fine. That is the quality of the image that is being supplied by your line.
If the picture on the TV is much worse - unwatchable, you said - then it is either
The TV, It is new, so unlikely
The HDMI cable
The box

If you use your phone to take a photo of the TV, we could compare, but one thing is for sure, it is not your providers problem, the finger is pointing straight at you.

I know it's not provider issue. I never suggested it was.

As the quality of the SD channels applies not just to the premium channels but also FTA.

I am not imagining the quality. As I have seen SD quality with my own eyes being much much better on legit boxes than my own.

i think he's using Poundland HDMI cables
there's plenty of clues

How many times am I going to repeat myself.

Yes I have HDMI cables from eBay which were cheap. But how you even meant to know which HDMI cables are the best.

But I am not using those from the box to tv. I am using the original HDMI cable provided by sly. Guess that is from poundland right?

I see I am having more patronising comments being made.

So will leave it as it is now. I know there is issues with the quality. Yes there is issue on my end. But honestly now with some comments on here it's not worth it anymore. Even with crap quality will accept it how it is.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
ther'es nothing wrong with the quality, it's similar to mine, you can't use an expensive box and a 50 inch TV and connect them together with a 50p HDMI lead
borrow one from someone else and see if it makes a difference, the sky hdmi lead might be damaged
cheap ones are trash
you've made 50 posts before you sent a picture, you can't blame people if they are sceptical about things, it looks like you are making excuses

What constitutes a good HDMI then?

I paid pounds for HDMI cable and tested all of them including the sly one.

Not making excuses at all. Done tests that were advised. Used different HDMIs.

I know there is issue with the quality. But not getting anywhere now with that.

I hate a bad sd picture even on kodi lol.Whats needed is your screenshots of settings on box and tv.

Have you tried sky and vm on the same feeds on same tv,remove box tm to see.

Simple things get missed hence the screenshots needed.

What model of tv also asked.

I have got bad hdmi cables with box and it sucks as not sharp,went for a better quality one and all good,but you have said you changed them and still there.

Dam images wrong way round as the bad one is the nano via streaming and the better one is et 8000 sat sd

Attachments

• tm.nano.jpg
    tm.nano.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 16
  • sd quality.jpg
    sd quality.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 17
15 mins ago my sat feed was blotchy and square pixelated due to very bad hail stones on 19.2.
Have you rechecked all ends on feed cables as i had that on cable years ago due to bad loose connection.

Ye changed connectors on both sat and cable feeds some months ago as had few spare new connectors and they firm and tight on the feeds and tight in tuners.

Ye changed connectors on both sat and cable feeds some months ago as had few spare new connectors and they firm and tight on the feeds and tight in tuners.
Is there enough of the cable wire going into the box to get a connection, the same with any wires going into any splitters that you are using.

Is there enough of the cable wire going into the box to get a connection, the same with any wires going into any splitters that you are using.

Yes the sat feeds coming in are enough. By that I mean it's enough cable coming in.

The cable feeds are about 2m and again going in the splitter and tuners.

I'm fairly sure the pixellation being discussed is the blockiness of an ugly upscaled SD picture rather than bad reception. The difference between various SD channels is very real.

The difference in SD quality between boxes is also very real and nearly always down to the scaling and deinterlacing algorithms used to convert SD (576i) to HD resolution for 1080p or 1080i (or 2160p) output. Aggressive sharpening is the worst culprit as the amount of bit-rate compression often applied to SD signals means that any fast movement or panning can create compression artefacts (blockiness) that is exacerbated by oversharpening.

A lot of this depends on the cpu being used (SH4 vs MIPS vs ARM...) and also the driver revisions (i.e., manufacturer implementation).

As an example, I have a 4k ARM box (a Gigablue) and the SD quality improved greatly when Broadcom released a new SDK and Gigablue implemented it in their drivers. I had both images on multiboot so could easily switch for a comparison. Night and day differences there. SD was poor before and very good now. HD quality at 1080i did not change but 1080p/2160p did change also as a different deinterlacing algorithm was used.

SkyHD boxes seem to give a rather soft SD picture which some find too soft but is more forgiving of an overcompressed (blocky) channel than boxes that sharpen aggressively.

By the way, all 28.2e HD is transmitted at 1080i, so if you output at 1080i you are leaving deinterlacing to your TV. Switching to 1080p simply moves the task of deinterlacing to your box which may do it better or worse than your TV.

Also worth noting is that if your TV is 4k and your box is 4k, if you output at 2160p then you are only upscaling once. If you output at 1080i/p then the box is doing 576i->1080i/p and then the TV is doing 1080i/p->2160p and you are upscaling twice.

TL/DR: The point is really, there are scaling and deinterlacing jobs being done, and your box may do these better or worse than your TV, so try all the settings and don't let anyone who has different equipment try to tell you that one setting is better than another. Only trust your own eyes.

As for HDMI cables, it is a digital bitstream that the TV can either lock onto or it can't. The 1's and 0's get there or they don't. It will not affect picture sharpness or how vivid the colours are, it is sending data. It's not like a SCART lead. Don't waste your money on fancy HDMI cables. Think about it, if HD is sharp, the UI is sharp, but your SD is crap, it's not the connection between box and TV.

A good test for SD bitrate if you have a Vermin line: when the footie is on Sky, compare Sky Sports Main Event to Sky Sports PL showing the same match. The SD on Main Event is very good and the same match on PL is rubbish, despite being the same resolution (but at a lower bitrate).

Most people seem to say that ARM (4k) boxes have better SD picture quality.

Sorry, didn't mean to get so carried away! :)

@Boag

Thanks for great post mate.

Unfortunately to advanced and technical what your saying.

Thought about reflashing box to latest image but not Gina improve SD quality.

Honestly given up on SD quality now too stressing. Will accept crap quality as it is.

How many people have asked you to post settings of box and tv?
Reflashing box should put it back to default just in case you meddled.
I will argue with hdmi cables as they are not the same as replaced a few because of poor picture and better sharper crisper viewing with newer ones.
What about dirty power feeds and also having an effect on viewing?

I did post settings of box which were 1080p, 50hz, pillarbox, letterbox. What other settings you need for box?

What settings you need for TV? All it shows is settings for brightness, contrast, sharpness etc. Is this what you require for tv settings?

Tried 3 brand new HDMIs already. Pointless trying more.

Both cable and sat feeds are clean. No dust dirt on them.

I did post settings of box which were 1080p, 50hz, pillarbox, letterbox. What other settings you need for box?

What settings you need for TV? All it shows is settings for brightness, contrast, sharpness etc. Is this what you require for tv settings?

Tried 3 brand new HDMIs already. Pointless trying more.

Both cable and sat feeds are clean. No dust dirt on them.

you didnt post any screenshots of actual settings
your TV will have settings for resolution etc ,
clean feeds is nothing to do with dirt, it is electrically clean,
are they near any mains cables etc,?
are they good quality cables and connectors,?
this is getting more and more like you are going to need someone to come and actually check all is good as you keep circumventing the questions asked of you.

If I was you I'd tune into 19.2e as there's loads on there in HD

For sports and movies ye tune in HD on cable.

But for Indian and Pakistani channels especially the latter its only SD which is what family watch mainly. No idea why there is no HD for them.

you didnt post any screenshots of actual settings
your TV will have settings for resolution etc ,
clean feeds is nothing to do with dirt, it is electrically clean,
are they near any mains cables etc,?
are they good quality cables and connectors,?
this is getting more and more like you are going to need someone to come and actually check all is good as you keep circumventing the questions asked of you.

You want screenshots for box and tv settings via.phone as no idea how else to get screenshots?

For TV picture settings are viewing mode, backlight, contrast, brightness, colour and some other settings. Doesn't state resolution.

Yes they are near other main cables/plugs.

Don't think there top quality feeds and splitter.

On laptop/pc if you type in your box ip into browser it will open webif=mirror of your box and you can screenshot any setting.
Cable feeds would need good quality and good splitter but would have no bearing on sat quality.

On laptop/pc if you type in your box ip into browser it will open webif=mirror of your box and you can screenshot any setting.
Cable feeds would need good quality and good splitter but would have no bearing on sat quality.

Im on openwebif mate but where do I go on settings to screenshot them?

Have talked to my mate was supposed to hook me up with VM cable and splitter but not heard back from him. Was going to see if you original VM cable and splitter would improve quality.

But sat is same with crap SD quality. Just not cable.

Back