SD channels quality

Rambo in hd note the black bars top and bottom which is normal.View attachment 37614

User interface as i went back into mine a little tweak is needed as i have white space above my grey box which is the tv,ha ha picture must be rolling by itself from top to bottom and side by side so wont need any adjustments.View attachment 37615
Bit off topic but what do i scan to get this channel?

I'm fairly sure the pixellation being discussed is the blockiness of an ugly upscaled SD picture rather than bad reception. The difference between various SD channels is very real.

The difference in SD quality between boxes is also very real and nearly always down to the scaling and deinterlacing algorithms used to convert SD (576i) to HD resolution for 1080p or 1080i (or 2160p) output. Aggressive sharpening is the worst culprit as the amount of bit-rate compression often applied to SD signals means that any fast movement or panning can create compression artefacts (blockiness) that is exacerbated by oversharpening.

A lot of this depends on the cpu being used (SH4 vs MIPS vs ARM...) and also the driver revisions (i.e., manufacturer implementation).

As an example, I have a 4k ARM box (a Gigablue) and the SD quality improved greatly when Broadcom released a new SDK and Gigablue implemented it in their drivers. I had both images on multiboot so could easily switch for a comparison. Night and day differences there. SD was poor before and very good now. HD quality at 1080i did not change but 1080p/2160p did change also as a different deinterlacing algorithm was used.

SkyHD boxes seem to give a rather soft SD picture which some find too soft but is more forgiving of an overcompressed (blocky) channel than boxes that sharpen aggressively.

By the way, all 28.2e HD is transmitted at 1080i, so if you output at 1080i you are leaving deinterlacing to your TV. Switching to 1080p simply moves the task of deinterlacing to your box which may do it better or worse than your TV.

Also worth noting is that if your TV is 4k and your box is 4k, if you output at 2160p then you are only upscaling once. If you output at 1080i/p then the box is doing 576i->1080i/p and then the TV is doing 1080i/p->2160p and you are upscaling twice.

TL/DR: The point is really, there are scaling and deinterlacing jobs being done, and your box may do these better or worse than your TV, so try all the settings and don't let anyone who has different equipment try to tell you that one setting is better than another. Only trust your own eyes.

As for HDMI cables, it is a digital bitstream that the TV can either lock onto or it can't. The 1's and 0's get there or they don't. It will not affect picture sharpness or how vivid the colours are, it is sending data. It's not like a SCART lead. Don't waste your money on fancy HDMI cables. Think about it, if HD is sharp, the UI is sharp, but your SD is crap, it's not the connection between box and TV.

A good test for SD bitrate if you have a Vermin line: when the footie is on Sky, compare Sky Sports Main Event to Sky Sports PL showing the same match. The SD on Main Event is very good and the same match on PL is rubbish, despite being the same resolution (but at a lower bitrate).

Most people seem to say that ARM (4k) boxes have better SD picture quality.

Sorry, didn't mean to get so carried away! :)
Very interesting post, you said you have a 4k ARM box (a Gigablue) and the SD quality improved greatly when Broadcom released a new SDK and Gigablue implemented it in their drivers.

I have a Mut@nt HD51 do they also have a new SDK implemented in their drivers?

I got a 80cm fixed dish with 2 quad lnbs on 19.2 and 13 .
I dont use abm as i use vhannibal plugin 1-2 updated to 1-4 all from vix feeds.
Using the quad setting i see 13,19.2,28.2 and also lists 23.5 which i never use.
Every now and again it automatically updated to the latest date.
I think if you wanted to use abm you may have to visit kingofsat to see what providers are in use for those channels.

The difference in SD quality between boxes is also very real and nearly always down to the scaling and deinterlacing algorithms used to convert SD (576i) to HD resolution for 1080p or 1080i (or 2160p) output. Aggressive sharpening is the worst culprit as the amount of bit-rate compression often applied to SD signals means that any fast movement or panning can create compression artefacts (blockiness) that is exacerbated by oversharpening.

A lot of this depends on the cpu being used (SH4 vs MIPS vs ARM...) and also the driver revisions (i.e., manufacturer implementation).

Looking for a way forward to a picture quality issue I have encountered and it was suggested that the issue had been covered many times before. looks like this tread is one of them.

I just tried IPTV on a Firestick and the picture quality is in my set up worse than IPTV on my Zgemma. Picture quality is definitely better with Freeview/Feesat than the IPTV channels but on the Zgemma its not a huge difference. The Fire Stck is in my opinion a step down.

Right now I am leaning towards scaling and de-interlacing being the problem. With the Zgemma I can output at native resolution but with the Stick conversion in done in the stick.

Trouble is the Zgemma is painfully slow, lack of RAM is suspect.

So whilst I was thinking of an updated andriod box I am now thinking an E2 box with more ram might be a better way to go.

Looking for a way forward to a picture quality issue I have encountered and it was suggested that the issue had been covered many times before. looks like this tread is one of them.

I just tried IPTV on a Firestick and the picture quality is in my set up worse than IPTV on my Zgemma. Picture quality is definitely better with Freeview/Feesat than the IPTV channels but on the Zgemma its not a huge difference. The Fire Stck is in my opinion a step down.

Right now I am leaning towards scaling and de-interlacing being the problem. With the Zgemma I can output at native resolution but with the Stick conversion in done in the stick.

Trouble is the Zgemma is painfully slow, lack of RAM is suspect.

So whilst I was thinking of an updated andriod box I am now thinking an E2 box with more ram might be a better way to go.
What zgemma are you using ??

Freeview on the cable side, freesat on the sat side. Nothing wring with Picture quality its great on freeview/freesat/IPTV but it is very slow. Channel changes etc are fine but any system changes very slow and often lead to crashes. Recent refresh hasnt improved mattes- I think IPTV is hogging too much Ram.

Tried a Stck to release ra, ie unistall ITPV but picture quality on the stick is worse, cant see a way to get native resolution out the stick but boy is it fast responding.

Freeview on the cable side, freesat on the sat side. Nothing wring with Picture quality its great on freeview/freesat/IPTV but it is very slow. Channel changes etc are fine but any system changes very slow and often lead to crashes. Recent refresh hasnt improved mattes- I think IPTV is hogging too much Ram.

Tried a Stck to release ra, ie unistall ITPV but picture quality on the stick is worse, cant see a way to get native resolution out the stick but boy is it fast responding.
Something simple is causing this,What firmware did you reflash it with ??

atv6.4 with WB on top.
Thats your trouble,I set up a few the last couple of weeks that were running slow,Remove the wooshbuild and do a bare bones openatv 6.3 as still some bugs on the atv 6.4, Just setup your freeview and iptv on it without any more plugins than is required,Make sure you have a usb installed and mounted which will give you the extra memory/ram required. Then see how it runs because if you have not got that usb or hard drive it will lockup the box big time

Thats your trouble,I set up a few the last couple of weeks that were running slow,Remove the wooshbuild and do a bare bones openatv 6.3 as still some bugs on the atv 6.4, Just setup your freeview and iptv on it without any more plugins than is required,Make sure you have a usb installed and mounted which will give you the extra memory/ram required. Then see how it runs because if you have not got that usb or hard drive it will lockup the box big time

spent several hours playing, ended up using Grogbuild with new settings. Added a 2gb swap file and all seems to be running far more smoothly now. many thanks

Back