security issues

rockford

Hi there,I have Toshiba laptop on vista, until reciently i had microsoft security essentials,I contacted a virus had to do system recovery, tried to reinstall m.s.e. but had problem with rebooting, blue screen telling me cant load windows, did another sys recovery, things seem ok with macafee,but not totally protected and would prefere another free internet security provider, please advise thanks..p.s. I lose the will to live when i ring Microsoft.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Just thought of something, in safe mode would it ok to reinstall m.s.e without uninstalling macafee,any sugestions please thanks.

If you wish to switch from any antivirus software to another, you need to be sure that you have completely removed all traces of the old one. Most of the large commercial antivirus suites have their own removal tool available. If that cannot be found then at least remove with something along the likes of RevoUninstaller that will be able to track down any remnants and registry files. This will greatly reduce the headaches and possible security vulnerabilities that you have in the future resulting from conflicts between the differing programs.

If you wish to switch from any antivirus software to another, you need to be sure that you have completely removed all traces of the old one. Most of the large commercial antivirus suites have their own removal tool available. If that cannot be found then at least remove with something along the likes of RevoUninstaller that will be able to track down any remnants and registry files. This will greatly reduce the headaches and possible security vulnerabilities that you have in the future resulting from conflicts between the differing programs.
Thanks for your advice.

Hello again, microsoft security scanner says Trojan:grin:os/Alureon.A partially removed manual steps required, any advise please, thanks.

Download tdsskiller from the following link and save it to your desktop.

If you are unable to download the file for some reason, then TDSS may be blocking it. You would then need to download it first to a clean computer and then transfer it to the infected one using an external drive or USB flash drive.

Once the file has completed downloading, you should now have the TDSSKiller icon on your desktop

Rename TDSSKiller to something else or it may not be allowed to run.

Once the file is renamed, you should double-click on it to launch it. When you run the program, Windows may display a warning.

I f you receive this warning, please click on the Run button to allow TDSSKiller to run. If you did not receive this warning, then TDSSKiller should have started.

When it has finished cleaning the infection you will see a report stating whether or not it was successful

You should then scan your system with Malwarebytes just to tidy everything up.

Last edited:
Downloaded tdsskiller no problem have it on desktop, renamed it to anglein.com on desktop, when double click usual window opens saying tdss rocket removal tool kaspersky lab...continue...or...cancel... Is it ok to continue? Thanks.

When I said rename it I meant the first part of the name only, not the extension too.

Name it anglein.exe and run it.

Have ran angeline .exe and re installed m.s.e. all seems good thanks and I have learned from the experience, all the best.

Back