Self-driving cars to be allowed on UK roads this year

Joe516

VIP Member
Self-driving vehicles could be allowed on UK roads by the end of this year, the government has said.
The Department for Transport said automated lane-keeping systems (ALKS) would be the first type of hands-free driving legalised.
The technology controls the position and speed of a car in a single lane but only up to speeds of 37mph (60km/h)
But insurers have warned the government's definition of ALKS as 'self-driving' is misleading.
Self-driving cars to be allowed on UK roads this year

You can't use your phone when driving becusse it classed as unsafe but your car can drive you to Scotland whilst your on the backseat having a nap, seems legit to me, when can I get one of these motors :ROFLMAO:. my mate said to me "well plane's go into autopilot, so why not cars" hmmm I don't see 5000 planes in the air in 3 separate lanes :unamused: bless him.

You can't use your phone when driving becusse it classed as unsafe but your car can drive you to Scotland whilst your on the backseat having a nap, seems legit to me, when can I get one of these motors :ROFLMAO:. my mate said to me "well plane's go into autopilot, so why not cars" hmmm I don't see 5000 planes in the air in 3 separate lanes :unamused: bless him.
I am still getting my head around, auto park my foot still hovers over the break pedal..let alone going to sleep whilst car is on auto pilot..

This stuff scares me.

I've an anti crash sensor on the front of my car and i hate it. The number of times its locked on the brakes solid when there been absolutely no need nearly having some poor sod behind me hit me is ridiculous.

Not only does it lock on the brakes to the point the antilock system is grating away they remain locked on for 10 seconds after its stopped you so you can not pull off again.

First time it did this was a crisp packet that blew in front of it it was still stuck on the sensor when i got out, second time it didnt like a HGV in front of me as i was closing in brakes already applied under perfect control with nothing alarming entering my head at the time till it shat itself locked on and scared me to death.

Took it in for looking at no faults found.

Eventually we may see car ownership / personal motoring as anachronistic as penny farthings

Cars are our second most expensive purchase yet they are unused 20 hrs a day + for many.

Can imagine autonomous Ubers allowing us to cheaply pay per mile. Drivers wages are a huge expense.

Maintenance and spares for a large fleet would be cheap and the cars could be in continuous use, wouldn't have to wait, esp if willing to share. Computers can solve all the logistic problems

Some economists think autonomous cars will allow a sharing economy: why buy a power drill that is used 2 hours in its lifetime? Simply open Amazon book a drill and a Uber drops a power drill in your Amazon pod and picks it up half an hour later to take it to the next person.

Owning rarely used items might not be a thing.

In theory it sounds cool and what not and no doubt this is what the future could be.

But so many issues can arise with this and could potentially be more hassle than it's worth.

It's something Amazon is already prepping for.

It's likely Uber and amazon will be the direct competitors for the sharing econom

Will people who have not passed a driving test be able to use one ? Would be a market for that i should think

Back