Sell Laptop as spare parts or..?

dan-ger-ous

VIP Member
Right, so my first ever laptop Acer Travelmate 2420 which i bought 3 years ago has now developed a number of faults over the years, and i've to now consider taking it apart and selling it for spare parts or just selling it off as it is..

I was coping just fine with it until today. Looks like the wires in the charger have given up and so the laptop wont charge anymore. Since i've been using the laptop for a very long time, the condition of the battery life has weaken, it can now only hold 20 to 30 minutes of battery life before dying out. I took the battery out, put the charger in, tried to start the laptop without the battery but it would not work. So i took the charger back out again, put the battery back in, but the orange charging light did not appear. The light on the charger itself is on, so im guessing theres a problem with the rest of the wire, after the AC adapter up until the charger output.

Over the years, the laptop has taken a few bumps and falls :whacko: 2/3 USB ports dont function aswell i.e. you need to fiddle around with the port for devices to work correctly. Theres also a crack on the laptop cover behind, and ever since this has developed i have not closed the lid so i dont take it completely off its hinges (the screen is stable as of now still). Not really much of a laptop now, cant use it for a long time without the battery dying on me, and cant really close the lid.

I bought the laptop for £400 from Comet. I know its probably not even worth 1/4 of its price now, but i was wondering, selling it as it is, or taking it apart and selling the parts as spare parts. Hopefully this'll boost the investment of a new laptop.. :)

Other than that, anybody know of any good deals going on.. :)

Uses: general surfing, watching movies, probably not MUCH gaming to be honest, although its something i may look at as ive been stuck with the TM 2420 for a very long time and its specs are just appauling compared to whats on the market now.

Thanks in advance.. :)

RE: Ports,
Have you gone into Computer management and deleted the usb ports Dan?

If you reboot the Laptop after deleting them, check Device Manager again & they should work.

Dont know much about the charger end of things though.

Ahhh no i havent noel. The thing is, they seem to be physically damaged. All USB ports do work, but two of them are a little damaged because the laptop has taken one or two falls in its day. So i may find that i can only put in the USB device half way for the device to function at all.

I'll probably ponder on this for a few weeks now, i'll be quite picky in getting a new laptop.. ; \

Hi dan-ger-ous

You could try and get hold of a 19v charger,or a universal charger off someone to find out if that is the problem or if its the DC power jack on the laptop.
If it is a charger fault, you could pick one up cheap enough on ebay. If its the DC jack then a repair would cost around £40 to £60 i would guess.

You could try noelyfs suggestion regarding the USB ports, but to be honest if they work when you fiddle about, it looks like more of a motherboard problem.
I would not have thought it would be a software problem, but I dont suppose it would do any harm to restore it to origional state with recovery CDs or recovery partition.
Especially if you are thinking of selling it as you will get more money if the motherboard is fully functunal, and your data will be wiped off the hard drive (well sort of)

The two most expensive parts on a laptop are the LCD and motherboard, LCD is fine but if you can get the motherboard sorted (USB) it will help the price on ebay etc.
If you do not get anywere with the software side of things as noelyf and myself have stated, then if you are comfortable with stripping it down to give a clean, and check USB connections etc, you might find something. Hopefuly the other fault is the charger rather than the DC power jack, as the jack is a soldered one which makes it a much harder do it yourself job.

As far as sell as whole, or strip down. You will make more stripping down and selling, but can you be bothered with all the postage and packaging that comes with it, If so go for it and check other ebay prices for a guide. I do not think i coul be bothered lol

For what you want I would say anything around the £270 to £300 mark will do you if you are buying new, I think Gman is the person regarding specific deals, he seems to do a lot of research regarding that type of stuff.

As Jodav said the most expensive parts are the screen and motherboard.
Even if you were to sell the laptop as whole and restored and so on you would probably get more just by selling the parts individually then selling it as faulty.
Mention a crack on the back cover behind the screen and people will just look the other way!
Sell motherboard as faulty if you feel the usb ports are damaged
Screen individually would get you a nice few pound, then there's RAM, Hard Drive, wireless card,keyboard, bluetooth module if there's one on it.
Its a pain in the neck as jodav said but i personally would feel robbed otherwise :)

If i were you i would wait until next year for a new laptop, their pricey these days as manufacturers seem to be slapping in graphics cards and HD screens or an option with 3D, unless you wanna go for something cheap with a tiny screen, next year should see a price drop in these as they will definitely be making a push on 3D more and SSD's which are sky high at the moment for their size, not too mention whatever new comes between now and then.

Get yourself a cheap usb hub to run from the working usb port on the laptop and wait :)

if you sell parts...be prepared for the barrage of moaners who expect new from used parts....been there done it...aint doin it again

Just tell'em to put their reading glasses on and read the description!!!
Some people are absolute idiots though id agree :)

Cheers guys, will give it a think through. Although i've to say putting them on eBay is probably going to drive me crazy along with stripping it down. If i find its a charger issue, i can easily replace the charger so as long as it works for the mean time then i'm all.. (y)

IF you want to just get rid then some stores will do a deal when you buy a new laptop - some are happy even if your current one is faulty! best check out your local electrical stores for details and as eater is coming up their may well be good deals!
Or if you do want to sell on ebay just sell as faulty. You can probably get away with saying faulty not in full working order but stating that you listed as faulty and they have no comeback to you ( you dont have to list all faults) But you never know what your gonna get for it one day you could get nothing another day you could get a high price.
Personally id sell it as it is rather than do all that work on it or strip it down and as said all to have to do more with P&P.you can also do buyer collect and make arrangements for them to collect from anywhere you choose

You won't go too far wrong with a replacement like THIS if you only require something for general use.

-

Looks like a decent machine, although i'll be abit concerned over the 64bit OS, not sure if most my programs will be able to run on a 64bit OS. Would there be a way to install a 32bit Windows 7 OS on there or?

I did go around to my cousins yesterday, he has the same model, and i checked out his charger with my own laptop and found that it worked straight away so that is a load of my mind. A replacement is on the way so for mean time i can keep on using it. :)

There will be absolutely no problem running 32bit Progs on that 64bit system.

Windows 7 has taking care of that issue by creating two program folders

Programs

and

Programs(86)

All 32bit Apps install automatically into the Programs(86) folder and work fine.

-

Back