Setup your own OpenVPN Server

Well, why not use a standalone VPN service? There are a lot of VPN providers giving away this VPN protocol automatically. So, why go through all the hassle of setting it up manually? Moreover, in my opinion, when it comes to OpenVPN compatibility ExpressVPN aces above all. Expressvpn offers excellent features along with a great streaming experience. I went through to one of the detailed review about Expressvpn here: https://www.reviewsdir.com/expressvpn-review/ and So, what do you think? Isn't a standalone VPN a good option?

Last edited:
Nope, Sky/Virgin will cotton on to the big VPN providers and start blocking them on Match Days/Weekends, etc.
Running your own, they cannot identify if you are a genuine business VPN or consumer TV.
Also you know you not being logged by anyone and in control.
Granted it is not for everyone, but if you want to use VPN on your phone, tablet, PC, TV running your own makes more sense.

Nope, Sky/Virgin will cotton on to the big VPN providers and start blocking them on Match Days/Weekends, etc.
Running your own, they cannot identify if you are a genuine business VPN or consumer TV.

How and why? Unless my ISP can crack the OpenVPN encryption between me and my VPN provider, how can they cotton on to whether I am downloading a database or watching football? For the sake of discussion, if they can crack encryption between me and my VPN provider, why can't they crack it between you and your own server?

Also you know you not being logged by anyone and in control.

Actually, I think the opposite is the case, because e.g. Vultr, your cloud machine provider, seems to provide no zero-logging undertaking, while my VPN provider does.

To me, zero logging is the principal protection for confidentiality, because any provider must offer up whatever they have logged and what they know to government agencies with a court order. Additionally, all VPN providers have a huge vested interest in protecting the confidentiality of their clients (or else they will all walk), while companies like Vultr don't simply because confidentiality might or might not be the main reason why their clients use them, i.e. they have other fish to fry.

One might say a company like Vultr is not a mainstream VPN provider, so they might be less of a red rag to governments such as the Russian who are determined to undermine VPN, but Vultr seems to have no interest in maintaining that, as evidenced by https://www.vultr.com/apps/openvpn.

Clearly running your own server is more costly (your Vultr plan costs nearly twice my VPN sub) and far more trouble technically. For the above reasons, it seems to me it is also less secure.

Granted it is not for everyone, but if you want to use VPN on your phone, tablet, PC, TV running your own makes more sense.

I don't see why running your own server is advantageous for users having multiple and a variety of devices, given it is technically far more troublesome to implement, and far less well supported, even for a single device!

If anybody wants to use VPN on multiple and a variety of devices, putting VPN on a dedicated router behind the ISP router makes most sense, because that circumvents the need for configuring/updating vpn on all the individual devices.

Cheers!

I don't use a VPN at the moment but did look at playing with my own vpn either on an existing server of mine or by getting a vps but I had handshake errors so gave up, I will take a look at your guide shortly.

If you have a private vpn then you know you are not sharing the bandwidth with other users, a network card has a max bandwidth so if there are 1000 users sharing the same vpn server then you get .1% of the available bandwidth, that's not an issue on private vpn, on other hand if server crashes for some reason then you need to manage it on a private network, public vpn then you just wait for them to fix the issue. Anyone could put on their website 'zero logging' but that doesn't mean that is true and you wouldn't know until a court order is issued by which time it could be too late.

There are pro's and cons for running own vpn, I like control so a private vpn appeals to me, pricing is about the same so should not be an issue.

If they can do that why don't think they block it permanently ? To me, this has just been an excuse made by bad IPTV providers. Unless their is evidence to suggest otherwise ? Not evidence from "Kev's Best In The World 100% Glitch Free Money Saving IPTV" page

Hi,
VPN is a personal thing, I don't like relying on a 3rd party, I have the knowledge to do it myself, and have greater control, so I do it.
Not about the price, "you buy cheap you buy twice!" or in this game you get in trouble.
I have worked in ISP's and I still have friends their, they are monitoring 3pm and traffic, they have the IP's for majority of TOR, Proxy & VPN Providers in their limiters and if they start seeing mass traffic they will start limiting the speeds to these popular services.

I use my own VPN for individual devices as doing it from "entire house" is problematic, I use my phone normally, if I want to access a blocked site, or a logging site, I will simply activate VPN. If I want to change location, I will use my USA vpn for example. I also use SQUID on these for Web Proxies as well as OpenVPN.
IPTV and VPN's is a small part of what I do, I run a Web Hosting and Co-Lo business.

If a court order comes for my devices, I will find out, and I know there are zero logs of anything on the server, I don't do anything [too]illegal, but I don't like being told what I can and cannot access based on my location.

I know this is not for everyone and I did not say that, if you have the desire, technical ability I just provided a guide and some advice for NOT using VPN & IPTV, but ISP's are cottoning on to IPTV daily and they are putting plans into motion to protect their bandwidth from being swallowed up by 15% of their users paying £10 month.
I have heard some ISP's are thinking about IPTV supported SuperFast BB for premium price, but time will tell how marketing goes with that.

From ISP perspective IPTV drains a lot of bandwidth, worse than torrents were a few years ago, less than 15% of users are using 95% of the bandwidth, and that is IPTV/KODI/etc. so they are going to tackle it and use the court ruling they already have.

That's really good post! I am handling the search engine optimization campaign for my own business and this open VPN server tutorial will help me a lot with that campaign. Anyways, I also would like to learn the facebook ads campaign management as well. If you have any tutorials for beginners, please let me know!

Back