Shakhtar shock Europe with Costa signing

Mooley

TK Veteran
SHAKHTAR DONETSK have pulled off a real coup by signing long-term Manchester United target Douglas Costa.

The highly-rated Brazilian was trailed by Sir Alex Ferguson for some time but the Red Devils boss is believed to hesitated over a deal because of doubts over the youngster's character following some reports of poor off-the-field behaviour.

United also frustrated Gremio by trying to set up a trial spell for the classy midfielder when they were aware of other clubs' intention to pay big money for somebody being dubbed 'the new Ronaldinho'.

The Ukrainian side have splashed out a sizeable undisclosed fee on Costa and tied him down to a five-year contract.

"I was not expecting it," he admitted ahead of flying out to join his new club. "I only thought of Gremio.

"Today I think about Donetsk and I'm extremely happy.

"That's two times they tried to sign me. I do not know if this is the right time to leave but I mostly thought about my family."

The 19-year-old has represented Brazil at Under-20 level and is tipped for a glittering future in the game.

Chelsea, Barcelona and Real Madrid have also been linked with the Samba starlet but Shakhtar have once again flexed their financial muscles in the transfer market.

Back