Shoplifter got black eye after 'being mistaken for Man U fan'

Mooley

TK Veteran
A JUDGE who asked a thief how he got a black eye he was sporting was told: "I got mistaken for a Manchester United supporter on Wednesday."

Michael Grundy, 31, who had flouted a suspended jail term by going shoplifting three days after, was facing jail but was spared.

Judge Beverley Lunt, who slammed him as "an absolute idiot," said a Think First programme he had earlier been given and which he was about to start might be the making of him.

Judge Lunt smiled after his response to her question and said: "When I was younger there used to be an offence called sus - a suspected person. I have never heard of being a suspected Manchester United fan. You couldn't make it up, could you?"

Grundy, of Todmorden Road, Burnley, was given a six month conditional discharge, after admitting theft in breach of the suspended jail term.

The judge told him he had been given an amazing chance when he received the suspended sentence for a burglary as had he been in front of her he would have been sent to prison. She added: "You don't go out within three days and steal from a shop. You put everything in jeopardy "

Courtesy Lancashire Telegraph

The court was told on July 10, the defendant received 12 months in prison, suspended for two years with 18 months supervision and the Think First programme, On July 13 he was in T J Hughes in Burnley where he went into the changing room, put clothes on under his own and walked out. He had a record for burglary and theft.

Back