Shot Pc David Rathband bears no malice to Raoul Moat

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
The police officer apparently shot by Raoul Moat has said he bears no malice towards the gunman.

197.jpg

Pc David Rathband was shot in the face
and chest

Pc David Rathband was seriously injured when he was shot in the face and chest as he sat in his patrol car in East Denton, near Newcastle.

In a statement released by Northumbria Police, it was revealed the officer could lose the sight in both eyes.

Moat apparently shot himself after a six-hour stand-off in Rothbury, Northumberland.

The 37-year-old, from the Fenham area of Newcastle, had been on the run for a week, sparking a huge manhunt.

Reconstructive surgery

Pc Rathband, a 42-year-old father of two, said: "I bear no malice towards the man who shot me, but now wish to move on with my life.

"My injuries are life changing. It will require significant adjustments in the future in all aspects of my life.

"I enjoy my job as a police officer and I am totally committed to serving the public.

"Although I face long-term treatment, I am determined to return to duty as a police officer."

Pc Rathband has undergone facial reconstructive surgery at Newcastle General Hospital and is now off the critical list.

Back