Should i fix my vu+duo or just bin it ?

pisshead

This situation I am in is starting to annoy me now and I am evening dreading thinking about leaning towards junk boxes
which I will let you figure out yourself which ones I mean, lol, I don't want to really but I don't know.

I have had a genuine first generation VU.+DUO twin tuner (not clone) from they first came out and it seems to have a problem.
(previous to this a couple of years ago a friend fixed the stuck on red light problem by fitting new cap/s).

Now though It has a very weak signal, both tuners are exactly the same acting the same way and it means it will only scan some
tiny fraction of channels that it should do like it done just a week or so ago, out of the few channels it can find on 28.2e the only
channels that work are like channel 4, film4 and another couple of ones associated with channel 4 ( NOT even HD Channel 4 etc)
and even that they break up sometimes and shows low weak signal although they are about the only ones that can show a picture,
forget even the likes of bbc and itv etc, they are just pixelated so much that there isnt any sound or anything, so you can see what
I am dealing with. (tried all fixes suggested from various people etc, but still same).

Anyway, had a sat guy out and he checked feeds coming into house to box and showed the signal on the in house feeds and seemed
the signal on the feeds in the house seemed perfectly fine on his test kits, he had a little meter things that showed tv channels on it
etc and I couldn't argue with that as it was staring me in the face. (plus, I have a seprate freesat box and the signal and quality levels
of signals on that are pretty much 10 out of 10).

So now I am wondering if I should just bin this box and move onto a cheapo box like a z-gemma. or something, I am not interested in the
slightest about how fancy boxes are and what fancy things they can do, once a box works for me I am happy to scroll the all channel list
and pick a channel and thats it and if and channel scan is required I can do all that and enter in new NLinés etc etc using DCC as I always
do, but that's about it.

I currently have a great N-liné, and its sitting doing nothing obviously, so time is ticking on that too and wasting money, not a lot but still,
main thing is, I would prefer to have either my VU working perfectly or just have another box, that's it (and I would not fork out the money
I originally spent on the VU years ago as it basically just worked and that was all that was required and that was it).

However, and this may be a bit of sticking point for me, after the new year passes, I am thinking about getting someone in to fit a half decent
motorised system for me and just sack the static 28.2e dish all together, so I guess if I have to get a box then its best that it can cope with
all that stuff too, would be a first for me.

So, anyone and everyone's opinions and reasons would be very greatly appreciated as I am desperate to watch some footy etc as i have been
been doing before some of you were probably born, LOL, if you get what I mean :) :peace:

Last edited:
Back