Signal detection

I've been reading many posts since joining this forum & I've noticed a few people asking about problems whilst aligning their dishes.
I've played about with sat tv for a number of years (even going back to analogue only days) and have struggled with getting the best signal strength. Recently I was given a tip to make life easier so I thought I'd share it.
(Apologies if it's been mentioned before)
As I don't own a sat meter, I made use of skype on my mobile phone.
Set your receiver up on a known frequency with the image showing on your tv and have a (family members) phone skype you on your phone (or tablet), whilst their phone is facing the tv.
Now you can go to your dish and adjust its location, using the skype video to see your signal strength & picture quality from your receiver inside the house without running up & down ladders.
(a cheap waterproof phone holder from a pound shop also provides a nice phone holder to allow both hands free to adjust the dish and prevent you dropping your phone)

I wouldn't trust using sat receiver for signal different boxes tuners can give different results.

Try using app like dishpointer on phone or tablet to help get it in the correct sort of area but really i do not know why people do not just buy cheap sat meter.

I wouldn't trust using sat receiver for signal different boxes tuners can give different results.

Try using app like dishpointer on phone or tablet to help get it in the correct sort of area but really i do not know why people do not just buy cheap sat meter.

cheap sat meters wont tell you which sat you are on,
hence why I found 23 when I was looking for 19
tuners on sat box is ideal, actual db level is pretty much irrelevant as to accuracy on the box,
just tune for highest level on any particular sat you want,

cheap sat meters wont tell you which sat you are on,
hence why I found 23 when I was looking for 19
tuners on sat box is ideal, actual db level is pretty much irrelevant as to accuracy on the box,
just tune for highest level on any particular sat you want,

I class £100 as cheap which would get you a sat meter which does tell you sat you are on also these things last ages also decreases the work rate

Each box is different so no you can not go by that example is zgemma h1 vs h2 has different levels the same with original sky pace box to panasonic sky box (yes it can give some details but proper sat meter will scan through all the bands so you know that all of them are fine this is problem lots of people have some channels are great lower signals ones can be missing or have issues)

DMSatFinder android app is great, connects to enigma2 over your local network and shows your current signal strength and quality for any transponder you select. Gives an audible beep to help tuning when you can't look at the screen too.

I class £100 as cheap
I dont know what you work at,
but very few people I know would class £100 as cheap.
most people on here are doing this as a one off, or maybe for a couple of friends,
I'd like to think [at least] that a professional installer isnt on here looking for advice on how to do his/her job

Back