Signed up to a music streaming service.

adaml87

I have just signed up to Tidal using a VPN, when it came to payment, it wouldn't let me use my credit cards as I was using a VPN. Has anyone done this? I had to close the vpn to enter the card details.
It says I am signed up for 19.99 which when I set the account up was in Turkish Lira

My question is, because I had to turn the vpn off to use my card, will they charge me £19.99 a month do you think?

Thanks.

I think yes.
How much is tidal per month?
Subscription Types – TIDAL. Premium - $9.99 USD a month with standard sound quality, high definition music videos, and expertly curated editorial. HiFi - $19.99 USD a month with lossless High Fidelity sound quality, Sony 360 Reality Audio, Dolby Atmos Music, high definition music videos, and expertly curated editorial.

Surely you get an email to confirm and that should mention whether its dollars or lira...? Used this method for Netflix and still going strong after 2 years..also what card were u using

Surely you get an email to confirm and that should mention whether its dollars or lira...? Used this method for Netflix and still going strong after 2 years..also what card were u using
I got an email confirming its 19.99 a month.. With no symbol infront of it. The account at the minute under my details says 19.99 TL, so fingers crossed that's what it comes out as.

I used a barclaycard travel credit card. Wouldn't let me use a normal debit card or credit card whilst using the vpn. So turned it off, and used the nearest card to hand. Hopefully it'll last a good few years like your netflix

If the account when you login confirms 19.99 TL then think you should be ok. If it doesn't work then setup again but try revolut card works for me.
Yep, get a Revolut, put some local currency on it, and use a virtual card to pay, don't use the online shopping card as it will fail after the first payment, it gets shredded after one payment.
The virtual one you can shred when you want to cancel and a new one will generate.

Doyou have to have vpn on and connected to Argentina to use it or just to sign up for it , could I enable it on an Alexa ?

I don't know what they'll charge you but I can tell you it does happen where you get legit blocked. It's a bank thing where if you make a payment from an IP address they don't recognise they block the payment for security reasons, namely they think it may be fraud. Once you've sorted it out with your bank, if the VPN server's external IP is static it shouldn't be an issue the next time. Admittedly I have no idea is they're static or not!

Yep, get a Revolut, put some local currency on it, and use a virtual card to pay, don't use the online shopping card as it will fail after the first payment, it gets shredded after one payment.
The virtual one you can shred when you want to cancel and a new one will generate.
I have noticed that there are different plans for Revolut, will the Standard Free plan suffice or would you advise another, and why? Thanks in advance

I have noticed that there are different plans for Revolut, will the Standard Free plan suffice or would you advise another, and why? Thanks in advance
I use Revolut the standard Free plan gives you a virtual card. I top that up through direct debit, Paypal or Apple Pay and pay that way. I just leave a few quid on it monthly to cover the subscription. I use Revolut for Tidal/Youtube Premium.

I use premium,
but, thats a work thing, I work overseas quite a lot, and usually get paid in Euros, even if that may not be the currency of the country I'm working in,
so I have unlimited free exchanges, and a lot higher free cash withdrawal limits,
can also buy and sell shares on it,
one thing I really like is the online shopping card, it gets shredded after each purchase, so the number can't be cloned and used again.
plus I get free cards for the kids, that are linked to my account, so even tho they have their own balances, I can control how much they are allowed to spend, and can add additional blocks (as well as the Revolut adult site blocks) as to where they can spend their money
For me, the £120 year is well worth it, but probably not for the average UK user,
its my main bank tbh, although I still have a 'normal' UK account too for other purposes.

I use Revolut the standard Free plan gives you a virtual card. I top that up through direct debit, Paypal or Apple Pay and pay that way. I just leave a few quid on it monthly to cover the subscription. I use Revolut for Tidal/Youtube Premium.
Excellent, good information and well explained many thanks, I am sure this will help more than me, if people care to search and read! It sound like a very good way to pay for 'stuff' @steptoe mentioned something about 'shredding' the virtual card do you know what that is about? Or have I mis-understood?

I don't know what they'll charge you but I can tell you it does happen where you get legit blocked. It's a bank thing where if you make a payment from an IP address they don't recognise they block the payment for security reasons, namely they think it may be fraud. Once you've sorted it out with your bank, if the VPN server's external IP is static it shouldn't be an issue the next time. Admittedly I have no idea is they're static or not!
if Revolut thinks it is fraud they will send you a text asking you to log in to the app and confirm the purchase.

Excellent, good information and well explained many thanks, I am sure this will help more than me, if people care to search and read! It sound like a very good way to pay for 'stuff' @steptoe mentioned something about 'shredding' the virtual card do you know what that is about? Or have I mis-understood?
Sorry @steptoe has just answered the second part of my question :smiley:

Back