Sir Alex: Ref got it right

HiTecK

Administrator
Staff member

Sir Alex: Ref got it right

Sir Alex feels Mark Clattenburg's decision to allow Nani's late goal against Tottenham to stand was the correct one.

Confusion reigned for the final few minutes of United's 2-0 victory at Old Trafford after the Portuguese winger had stolen in to poke the ball in to an empty net after Spurs stopper Heurelho Gomes had put the ball down believing his side had been awarded a free-kick. In actual fact, the ball was still in play after Clattenburg had waved play on following a penalty appeal and hand-ball from Nani.

Sir Alex admitted to being totally baffled by proceedings at the time, but having seen the replays and spoken to his players he feels the outcome was the correct one.

"At the time I had absolutely no idea what had happened!" the boss told MUTV. "We appealed for the penalty and didn't get it and as Nani fell the ball hit his hand and went into the goalkeeper's arms. At that point the goalkeeper's got control of the ball and the referee said to play on.

"The linesman didn't flag until after the goal was scored and I've still no idea why. The referee didn't blow his whistle at all and Nani actually looked at him to check. He said play on, so Nani put the ball in the net.

"The goalkeeper should know better. He's an experienced player and made a bit of a mess of it. You've got to play to the whistle, but he put the ball down thinking he was going to take a free-kick and, of course, it wasn't.

"The goal should definitely have stood because the referee has played on. It's the linesman and goalkeeper who have made the biggest mistakes."

Up until the controversy in the latter stages, it had been a closely fought game with Spurs, and Rafael van der Vaart in particular, causing more than a few scares for United's defence, especially in the first half.

"We gave him too much room and caused ourselves problems by doing that," said Sir Alex. "At the same time though, we played some good football and created some decent chances, but the game was probably too open.

"Once we got ahead we needed to make sure we didn't leave as much space as we had in the first half and we were far better in the second. Tactically and concentration-wise we did really well."

The victory over Spurs was United's third in a week following wins over Stoke and Wolves in the Carling Cup, and the manager feels his side are now heading in the right direction following some indifferent form.

"I think the result at Stoke last weekend has lifted the team," he added. "Getting in front in these big matches is important and I think we played some good football against a strong side. Hopefully we can kick on from here."

LOL not a penalty,clear hand ball,(yellow card) then the diving nanni kicks the ball away from what should of been a free kick(2nd yellow card) red of you trot.

Only banter wheelo,you cant realy take it serious anymore,well especialy the Liverpool fans until they win the title and realy have something to talk about and i do mean in the last 2 decades

i know, just thought i would add a little spice lol, especially after tonights typical :mancity: result, the city that i know and love lol

Never give up,and always support your team and manager wether good or bad,that doggedness of the scott brought us to where we are

Back