Sky box f5s won't connect to thomson router

Christy o

Hi guys,

i need some some help I am trying to connect a skybox f5s to my friends internet he's is using a thomson router.

I have the box in my house it works perfect so the line is correctly installed the fta channels work in my friends house so it's not the dish or anything.

the internet is very fast and we are using the Ethernet connection and I have tried different cables etc.

The firewall is off on the modem.

the modern is showing the connection ie the port on the front has it's light on.

i have used 2 different boxes and both are doing the exact same thing.

i am at a loss to know it won't work any ideas people.

thanks,
christy

Last edited:
So just to confirm....you have an F5 that is working in your house and then you have taken that same box over to the your friends house and connected it and it doesn't work?

Yeah I have two boxes that I use my friend wante to try one out so I brought it to his house and it just won't work.

ive brought both boxes to his house an they are both doing the same thing ie not unscrambling.

we both use the same internet service provider but we have different routers ie that's why I think that's the problem.

Check no parental controls set from isp
This caused problems on a talktalk setup for me once.

And if same isp why not swap routers to check?

There is something about port forwarding but ive never ever needed to do that.
Have you tried hitting up the isp for a new free router?

Last edited:
My friend has turned off all protections.
the router is only a few months old so he won't get a new one for free anyway.

I have read a few threads about port forwarding but I'm not sure would that help has anyone ever used it to get there system going.

I dont mean turned off on router but with the actual provider. Just a shot in dark.
Yeh ive heard of port forwarding resolving issues. But buried in threads somewhere. Try search

Is DHCP set to ON?

If you look at the routers web page, does it show that the box is connected?

Last edited:
Does the box have the latest firmware installed? Im sure there was a problem with some skybox f5s / openbox v5s DHCP defaulting back to the original ip address that the box was originally set up on.

Dchp is on.

i have not checked the routers web page tbh I didn't know I could do that.

All routers allow you to access their web interface so that you can change wep keys, wifi channel numbers etc.

Different routers have different addresses. My Thomson TG585v7 is 192.168.1.254.

Have a look at any documentation or Google the model number to find the one for your mate's modem.

There should be a page that allows you to see which devices are connected & their addresses.

Hey thanks for all the help my friend gas called it a day and given up.

i didn't get a chance to port forward and try that but everything else wouldn't work.

again thanks guys for all the support.

christy.

This is obviously something to do with the router. I would check the firewall settings and try lowering them. Or match them to what you have on your router.

Back