SKY+ HD box with motorised dish?

lostone

Hi All,

Probably a stupid question - can you use a SKY+ HD box with motorised dish? Managed to brick my old openbox V8S recently and looking for cheap alternatives on ebay :-)
Have a feeling I already know the answer but wanted to have a confirmation from others more experienced than me.

Cheers

Hi All,

Probably a stupid question - can you use a SKY+ HD box with motorised dish? Managed to brick my old openbox V8S recently and looking for cheap alternatives on ebay :-)
Have a feeling I already know the answer but wanted to have a confirmation from others more experienced than me.

Cheers
Better off getting another V8 box if you are used to them i may have an old one somewhere knocking about.

Not to move your dish with no if your dish was at 28e then your Sky box would work on the position. If your buying look at the Octagon sx88 if you dont want a linux box.

@moshibeth if getting another one might as well change the openbox if I can help it. waiting for another rs232 cable in the next few days to try and recover my v8s but let's see how that goes, confidence levels very low tbh. how much you want for it?

@Ferret. definitely in plan to get a linux one, budgeting at the moment (and need to convince "le wife" after the new dish last month 🙃 )

ps: thanks for the replies, appreciate it

@moshibeth if getting another one might as well change the openbox if I can help it. waiting for another rs232 cable in the next few days to try and recover my v8s but let's see how that goes, confidence levels very low tbh. how much you want for it?

@Ferret. definitely in plan to get a linux one, budgeting at the moment (and need to convince "le wife" after the new dish last month 🙃 )

ps: thanks for the replies, appreciate it
If you want Linux then a Octagon SF8008 is very good for the money.

If disk space is the main difference and being a Linux system, can't you just add an external usb partition and mount it where you need to extend the disk storage? I mean the /home, /var or wherever you need it?

If disk space is the main difference and being a Linux system, can't you just add an external usb partition and mount it where you need to extend the disk storage? I mean the /home, /var or wherever you need it?
Go for a better box than zgemma they can be hit and miss powering the motorized dish.

Yes you can.

But consider the amount of Ram the H8 has think it is 512mb . Half the amount of the SF8008 or H7

Went for a zgemma h11.s in the end, sorry forgot to update the thread. So far very pleased with it, and don't seem to have any motor issues, so far at least.
Installed an openvix on it, the default openatv that came with it seemed to have some issues, especially when it came to cccams (some hiccups that were making the channels un-watchable). But with openvix, all seems smooth.
Is got 1GB or RAM and the flash mem is 16G. Added a 1TB usb hdd, however have no idea what I'm gonna use it for since it has 1 tuner anyway :smiley:

Thank for all your advice in the thread, greatly appreciated!

Back