Sky Is Getting Binned - Bought a Vu+ Duo2

Hey all,

Just thought I'd drop a small intro in here - Been trawling the net for forums for Linux-box onwers, think I've hit home. I've been a Sky customer for a very long time, but £55p/m on TV + £16 on line rental + £30 on broadband [£100 in total] is just far too much! I feel like Sky are taking the mickey. Especially when they want an extra £10 p/m for multi-room as well; else I'd be paying £120. I'm going to pick up a couple of Vu+ Zero boxes for other rooms too.

To be honest, I never use the TV much - It's only the Mrs' and the kid. She uses Sky to watch MTV [Geordie Shore?], Sky Living [CSI?] and we currently both use Fox [Walking Dead]. There's obviously a couple of others; Nicktoons/Peppa Pig for the kid. We've got oodles of crap on the Sky box that's been recorded and never been watched. I bought the Duo2 so I could stream media [downloaded HD stuff, since the HD channels are dead] and so she can record her TV shows - We still have SkyHD, as of today, but more often than not, she records the SD version. The actual quality of Sky HD is still fairly crap, especially when compared to Netflix!

As a quick question/assumption - I'm assuming the FreesatHD (council channels) stuff will still come through - Most of the stuff we watch is on FTA anyway!!

I do have a TV with a FreesatHD receiver, with the option of attaching a USB hard drive, but I like the idea of having a dedicated bit of kit to do my bidding - Especially since I can get all of the Sky standard definintion channels [for now?] for much cheapness.

Now, time to head over to the Cline thread!

Welcome, Prices of Sky are going up in next couple months (to pay for the footy) Been doing it for few years saved a fortune the 1 thing i did with my old skybox was take the hard drive out and use it on my box:welcome here:

Good luck mate, enjoy the journey lol

---------- Post Merged at 06:02 PM ----------

oh and yes the Free to air channels will come through

Hey lads - Thanks for the replies! Yes, I am looking forward to enjoying the journey. Depending on how I get on with all of this, I'll probably be investing in a motorised unit to take full advantage of all the services available - Possibly a larger dish, to replace the ickle Sky one.

Yeah, I feel like I'm being mugged by Sky. I was going to sell my old Sky+ HD 2TB box + the wireless receiver. I'd rather sell it, so someone can get use out of it rather than rip the HDD out and then bin it. Oh, and I've already bought a 2TB Western Digital 5900RPM HDD :grin:

hi Tommy Tank , you do have me thinking, can you tell me tho, as I have Sky too and im just new to this, ( i actually thought i replied to this earlier)

does the VU work on your original sat dish, is it stable , and is it easy to reload/upgrade if required.
Pabs

Hey lads - Thanks for the replies! Yes, I am looking forward to enjoying the journey. Depending on how I get on with all of this, I'll probably be investing in a motorised unit to take full advantage of all the services available - Possibly a larger dish, to replace the ickle Sky one.

Yeah, I feel like I'm being mugged by Sky. I was going to sell my old Sky+ HD 2TB box + the wireless receiver. I'd rather sell it, so someone can get use out of it rather than rip the HDD out and then bin it. Oh, and I've already bought a 2TB Western Digital 5900RPM HDD :grin:

one tip you dont replace sky dish you add another motorised setup thus giving permanent feeds from 28.2 and motorised will give you 1 feed.
as per the stb only a subbed person can access the recordings on the 2 tb hdd.

hi Tommy Tank , you do have me thinking, can you tell me tho, as I have Sky too and im just new to this, ( i actually thought i replied to this earlier)

does the VU work on your original sat dish, is it stable , and is it easy to reload/upgrade if required.
Pabs

yes vu works on sky dish and easy enough to upload/upgrade if needed. remember you can only view 28.2

Good for you Tommy, I did the same and with the saving I made paid for the stuff. The 1st months savings paid for my 1yr nline, the next 2 months savings paid for my box so after 3 months I'm enjoy all the sly channels for FREE :)

You'll find great help on this forum and have you up and running in no time at all.

Hi there im new here, as anyone got any opinions on the golden interstar xspeed box? I have been recommended it, as its good for both cable and sly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep another excellent box well supported,think are 2 models on the lx version

Yeah think theres the lx2 and lx3 version, i have a kryptview a780 atm, and as become unwatchable lately and keeps glitching so looking for an alternative, do you know if anyone as got the sly 3d channel working, via a cline? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got my Duo2 set-up, got the basics all working AKA TV :grin: Now, I need to wait for OpenVIX to get back online so I can start downloading some plugins! :grin:

I've got some Picons working, but I apparently don't have them all.. I guess they're like Pokemon...

Nice box.I have one myself.Let me know if you get a full picon pack as a couple missing in the lcd window ;)

I've got some Picons working, but I apparently don't have them all.. I guess they're like Pokemon...

Nice box.I have one myself.Let me know if you get a full picon pack as a couple missing in the lcd window
winky.gif

For Picons get the collection I've been making:
http://www.techkings.org/general-satellite-discussion/68121-uk-picons-download-support.html

If you spot some missing then please let me know in that thread and I can find them and add them. I've done it as a complete picons collection is like chicken lips, impossible to find lol

Last edited:
I did write a reply, but my token expired - short version: Found some packs on another forum, will investigate soon! :-)

UK Picons Download/Support
Tried it today mate.Not working.SNP format with the LCD4L plugin.But apparently its now compatable but i cant get it working.Any help appreciated!

UK Picons Download/Support
Tried it today mate.Not working.SNP format with the LCD4L plugin.But apparently its now compatable but i cant get it working.Any help appreciated!

My understanding is that currently SNP format picons are not compatible with the LCD4L plugin, this needs to be fixed in the plugin itself.

Back