Sky Q Wideband LNB With Technomate TM Twin 4K - Tuner Setup Help - Multi Channel Recording

townsmcp

Hi all,
Looking for help please.
I have a Sky Q LNB fitted (from about 5 years ago).
I have a Technomate TM Twin 4K box (Technomate TM-Twin 4K Enigma 2 Linux UHD PVR Twin Tuner Satellite Receiver) and the features lists compatibility states 'SCPC & MCPC receivable from C/Ku band satellites LNBs supported: Universal, Single, Single S & C band wideband LNBs'. The box has a hard drive to be able to record.
I currently have OpenATV 6.4 installed (using Grogbuild).
The 2 tuners are setup as 'single' mode (satellite 28.2E Astra 2E/2F/2G).
I can watch all the freeview channels without issue and record from 2 channels at once or watch a channel and record another channel.
When I had the Sky Q 2TB box setup, I could watch a channel and record 6 other streams at the same time however I do not seem able to do this with the current settings.

Does anyone know what settings I should use in the tuner configuration so that I can watch a channel and record up to 6 other channels at the same time?

SkyQ LNB wont work with the TM Twin properly. If your is a Hybrid LNB it will if you have the Coax on the correct connectors of the LNB for the TM.

If not you need to replace the LNB with a Twin universal LNB, but as you are watching all the channels i suspect you have a Hybrid.

If the hybrid has 2 Universal ports its still limited to recording 1 whilst watching 1 unless all the channel are on the same transponder.

See if you can get a pic of the LNB model number so we know what we are dealing with.

Last edited:
@Ferret.
Thank you. Yes, I guess it is hybrid then as the box will let me view all the unencrypted Freesat channels (I have 2 cables into the back of the box the same way I did when Sky Q box was fitted.

Without going up a ladder, is this pic any use? I can see 3 cables coming out of the dish and 3 spare cable holes from the bottom of the LNB

Attachments

• IMG_6123.jpeg
    IMG_6123.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
@Ferret.
Thank you. Yes, I guess it is hybrid then as the box will let me view all the unencrypted Freesat channels (I have 2 cables into the back of the box the same way I did when Sky Q box was fitted.

Without going up a ladder, is this pic any use? I can see 3 cables coming out of the dish and 3 spare cable holes from the bottom of the LNB
Yeah that is a hybrid EL010

So youll never record 6 channels at the same time with that LNB a tuner setup unless there on the same transponder.

@Ferret. thanks for the info. Should I be able to watch a channel and record at least 2 other channels at the same time? I dont think I can even do that in its current state (think I can only watch 1 and record another at the same time) - if so, should the tuner be set to something other than 'Configuration mode: simple', 'Mode: single'? I saw there is toneburst as a mode - shroud the box be set to that?

@Ferret. thanks for the info. Should I be able to watch a channel and record at least 2 other channels at the same time? I dont think I can even do that in its current state (think I can only watch 1 and record another at the same time) - if so, should the tuner be set to something other than 'Configuration mode: simple', 'Mode: single'? I saw there is toneburst as a mode - shroud the box be set to that?
Sorry my post was confusing earlier.

You have 2 tuners so watch one and record one or record two is the best it gets unless the other channels are on the same transponder.

What you want to do will need a receiver that has a FBC tuner using a Unicable LNB.

@Ferret. thank you so much for your help. Would I need to run more cables from the dish with a unicable LNB? Can you recommend a Unicable LNB?
Youll need a new receiver to use a unicable LNB

Gigablue UE as an example.

You get 2 tuner and 6 virtual tuners down one cable with a FBC tuner and Unicable LNB setup.

Think ive had upto 20 channels recording at same time, more possible probably.

The UE has 2 tuners my setup is simple, one cable with one tuner connected to the other in the LNB setting so internal connection.

Youll need a new receiver to use a unicable LNB

Gigablue UE as an example.

You get 2 tuner and 6 virtual tuners down one cable with a FBC tuner and Unicable LNB setup.

Think ive had upto 20 channels recording at same time, more possible probably.

The UE has 2 tuners my setup is simple, one cable with one tuner connected to the other in the LNB setting so internal connection.
@Ferret. With a box like the Gigablue, would it then allow HRTunerProxy to use more than 2 tuners for sharing to something like Plex or other software that uses a HomeRun proxy? Or would that software still limit due to 2 physical tuners?

Last edited:
@Ferret. With a box like the Gigablue, would it then allow HRTunerProxy to use more than 2 tuners for sharing to something like Plex or other software that uses a HomeRun proxy? Or would that software still limit due to 2 physical tuners?
In theory is should work with Tunerproxy or Homerun but its not something ive much knowledge on.

Wait till someone else chimes in before making a purchase decision .

I don't mean to be pedantic, but you do not need a new receiver to use a unicable LNB. This is big misunderstanding that we need to stop. You can even use a DM500 with Unicable. To get the most out a receiver with FBC tuners in terms of recording more than two transponders, yes you will need a Unicable 2 LNB. You had SkyQ before which would have used the two wideband ports on the LNB. Did you move the cables from the Wideband to the Universal outputs on the LNB? You only have three cables coming out of the LNB. How many signal wires are connected to the Technomate?

I don't mean to be pedantic, but you do not need a new receiver to use a unicable LNB. This is big misunderstanding that we need to stop. You can even use a DM500 with Unicable. To get the most out a receiver with FBC tuners in terms of recording more than two transponders, yes you will need a Unicable 2 LNB. You had SkyQ before which would have used the two wideband ports on the LNB. Did you move the cables from the Wideband to the Universal outputs on the LNB? You only have three cables coming out of the LNB. How many signal wires are connected to the Technomate?
Oh im sure you mean to be pedantic you have a habit of picking holes in what others write.

Maybe i should of wrote, to use a Unicable LNB to its full potential you'll need a new receiver with a FBC tuner.

To do what he wants multiple recordings, he needs both a new receiver with FBC tuner and a unicable lnb, explained in laymans terms here.

Sky Q Wideband LNB With Technomate TM Twin 4K - Tuner Setup Help - Multi Channel Recording

@Abu Baniaz no, I haven’t touched any cables from the LNB. This was how Sky fitted the dish and LNB originally. I know 1 of the cables goes off to a single port in the master bedroom and the other 2 cables go to a media plate on the wall in the lounge. From the lounge media plate, I have 2 coax cables going into the 2 reciever ports on the Technomate

You will need to change the outputs the wires are connected to on the LNB, as they will still be connected to the wideband outputs that the SkyQ was using.

You will be able to record from two transponders then. (I got to 12 channels comfortably with the original twin which was using Technology from 2009 when the driver bugs were being worked on). If that is not enough for you or your viewing habits results in tuner clashes, then look at spending money on new gear.

@Abu Baniaz thank you. I just change all 3 cables to the other 3 outputs? Is there any config needed on the tuners on the sat box? Tuner A and B are both currently configured as:

Attachments

• IMG_6121.jpeg
    IMG_6121.jpeg
    579.1 KB · Views: 7
@Abu Baniaz thank you. I just change all 3 cables to the other 3 outputs? Is there any config needed on the tuners on the sat box? Tuner A and B are both currently configured as:
You only need/ed to change the two cables connected to the wideband outputs that are marked H (Horizontal) and V (Vertical). All the other outputs are universal, so no need to change the third one. Tuner config you have is correct for universal LNB, so no need to change it.

Last edited:
You only need/ed to change the two cables connected to the wideband outputs that are marked H (Horizontal) and V (Vertical). All the other outputs are universal, so no need to change the third one. Tuner config you have is correct for universal LNB, so no need to change it.
@Abu Baniaz thank you. So I guess in that case, I could do a quick test by plugging the Technomate in to the master bedroom cable which should be a universal port feed (albeit 1 cable into 1 tuner) and should be able to watch/record more channels than I currently can (ie more than 2 channels at any one time)? (Not sure my ladders are tall enough to reach the dish without borrowing longer ones)

@Abu Baniaz thank you. So I guess in that case, I could do a quick test by plugging the Technomate in to the master bedroom cable which should be a universal port feed (albeit 1 cable into 1 tuner) and should be able to watch/record more channels than I currently can (ie more than 2 channels at any one time)? (Not sure my ladders are tall enough to reach the dish without borrowing longer ones)
From a single lnb feed to a single tuner as you describe, you will only be able to watch one and record multiple channels that broadcast on the same transponder.

An example is the transponder here

Astra 2E (28.2°E) Transponder 50 - KingOfSat

Those channels there are on one transponder so you could watch 1 and record as many as you like with a single tuner active.

If the channel you wish to record is on another transponder-frequency, then you can not watch a channel from the above transponder and record from another transponder frequency on a single tuner and LNB feed.

With 2 tuners, you can watch one channel from the above transponder and record one channel from another transponder, or record 2 channels from different transponders frequencies but not be able to watch one or record more channels unless again the extra channels are on the two transponders your tuners are using.

There is also a simple test you can do to see what is available to you channel wise.

With your TM connected to your upstairs Universal feed on a single tuner, start a recording on the box.

Now enter the channel list with the recording still running.

You will see most channels will be greyed out, these will give you a tuner error if you try to select them. But you will see a few channels not greyed out that can be selected and watched or another recording set for them, these channels are on the same transponder as the recorded channel.

When you move your 2 connections downstairs to the universal ports on the LNB you can repeat the above test with 2 recordings going from different transponders-frequencies again selecting the channel list to find channels that are not greyed out and selectable. This will show you the limitations of your LNB/receiver setup for watching and recording multiple channels at the same time.

Back