SKY SPYGLASS

Kaspas4450

TK Veteran
TK Supporter
Can't find any other threads on this just yet, but thought that I would ask:

Has anyone got this yet?
What are your views on it?
How is it connected - just Ethernet or is other equipment/box required?
Does this mean that the dishes that customers currently have will become 'defunct'? And what will this mean for current Satellite users/Zgemma users that use the Sat connection?

I am intrigued to find out, thanks in advance for your comments/opinions

I wouldnt touch this service with a bargepole lol.

There service heading more mainstream IPTV was always going to happen and eventually could see them not taking on new customers who have dishes but will still provide their existing ones who do with the service.

Just my view on that tbh.

TBH I wouldn't use it either, but I am curious to find out what people think, and how it works. It sounds as though it is just IPTV, but I presume they have some sort of extra equipment in play, not sure.

I think they (Sky) are now in competition with those that have been providing IPTV for years, maybe they should ask for some advice, because those that provide IPTV do not require their customers to also buy a TV from them :smiley:

TBH I wouldn't use it either, but I am curious to find out what people think, and how it works. It sounds as though it is just IPTV, but I presume they have some sort of extra equipment in play, not sure.

I think they (Sky) are now in competition with those that have been providing IPTV for years, maybe they should ask for some advice, because those that provide IPTV do not require their customers to also buy a TV from them :smiley:
Not sure fully how it works but I'm sure some will be enticed by their shiny brand new TV they don't stop advertising about every day :whistle:

In theory it’s been in the making for years especially for those that couldn’t have sky dishes due to many factors from what I’ve read it’s pretty Much there version of iptv and all streamed via broadband so no sattalite dish or lnb cables to be run some people will find it a deal breaker others won’t especially those that’s never been able to have sky in there homes

In theory it’s been in the making for years especially for those that couldn’t have sky dishes due to many factors from what I’ve read it’s pretty Much there version of iptv and all streamed via broadband so no sattalite dish or lnb cables to be run some people will find it a deal breaker others won’t especially those that’s never been able to have sky in there homes
Yes I heard something like this also, it was initially aimed at those that lived in Multi Storey Flats, Sky realised that they were missing out on these customers as the Councils/Owners of the blocks would not let individual tenants have dishes, otherwise the block of flats would just have become a block of Sattelite dishes.

They did try and put 'communal' dishes up, i.e. 1 dish on the roof of the flats to serve all residents that wanted to be Sky customers, but these were a massive failure, as masses of cables had to be run in, around and through the building and there were forever issues. Then of course Grenfell happpend (god rest their souls) which almost immediately put an end to all of that, and the compromising of the buildings integrity.

Yes I heard something like this also, it was initially aimed at those that lived in Multi Storey Flats, Sky realised that they were missing out on these customers as the Councils/Owners of the blocks would not let individual tenants have dishes, otherwise the block of flats would just have become a block of Sattelite dishes.

They did try and put 'communal' dishes up, i.e. 1 dish on the roof of the flats to serve all residents that wanted to be Sky customers, but these were a massive failure, as masses of cables had to be run in, around and through the building and there were forever issues. Then of course Grenfell happpend (god rest their souls) which almost immediately put an end to all of that, and the compromising of the buildings integrity.
Yeah true bud my parents couldn’t have their own dish but they have a communal dish where they live so use that for sky

Those who prefer to have legit subs this could be something they go ahead with and there will be Skys own high quality streams available and able to cope with the masses on their servers with the Huge infrastructure and systems they would have in place.

Those who prefer to have legit subs this could be something they go ahead with and there will be Skys own high quality streams available and able to cope with the masses on their servers with the Huge infrastructure and systems they would have in place.
I don't disagree, but you forgot to mention the premium prices too. I agree the quality would not be matched, but for the fraction of the cost it could be very close nowadays!

I don't disagree, but you forgot to mention the premium prices too. I agree the quality would not be matched, but for the fraction of the cost it could be very close nowadays!
Sky would never change their pricing as those who want to pay for the Sky service will do so no matter what and they are banking on that with their new service.

"premium prices" to some doesnt mean anything they will happily pay such prices if they get the content their after.

Agreed, and to be honest I am one of those, I have Amazon Prime (for the deliveries, I might add), Netflix, and VM, I should really review my outgoings.................................rapidly £85 a month for VM, £79 a year for Amazon, and I think £7.99 a month for Netflix. I think I need an accountant :LOL:

Agreed, and to be honest I am one of those, I have Amazon Prime (for the deliveries, I might add), Netflix, and VM, I should really review my outgoings.................................rapidly £85 a month for VM, £79 a year for Amazon, and I think £7.99 a month for Netflix. I think I need an accountant :LOL:
More like need to come over to the DARK SIDE :sneaky:

Called it 17 months ago matey.
Suppliers not supplying URLs
Until they bring their prices down they can't compete but it's their only hope so you have to love a tryer

I'm more worried about the TV side of things. What happens if the screen gets cracked for example. Do you have to pay to replace the TV side of things and be without until its sorted. Or are you allowed replacements, because I assume based on shipping alone that it won't be viable

I'm more worried about the TV side of things. What happens if the screen gets cracked for example. Do you have to pay to replace the TV side of things and be without until its sorted. Or are you allowed replacements, because I assume based on shipping alone that it won't be viable

It'll be covered by your household contents insurance, unless it's a defect covered under the product's warranty.

just a bloody expensive sky box if you ask me. seriously who wants to pay £800 for a sky box with a screen on, unless someone is thinking up upgrading their TV why would they want another screen? they would be better selling a dongle that people can plug into their existing tv.

questions I have is, can you install third party apps on it or are you just restricted to the apps/services sky have deals with? what happens if you don't renew your sky contract? why do i want to pay £800 when I can get a new tv for £300-£400 with all the apps installed for VOD services etc?

Be very wary of the things, they are spyware. They have inbuilt camera/infra red devices to know when you are in the room, what and whom is watching.

just a bloody expensive sky box if you ask me. seriously who wants to pay £800 for a sky box with a screen on, unless someone is thinking up upgrading their TV why would they want another screen? they would be better selling a dongle that people can plug into their existing tv.

questions I have is, can you install third party apps on it or are you just restricted to the apps/services sky have deals with? what happens if you don't renew your sky contract? why do i want to pay £800 when I can get a new tv for £300-£400 with all the apps installed for VOD services etc?
My thinking is that it is hardware locked,
If it was a dongle or similar then it would have to be compatible with (more or less) opensource hardware, and therefore susceptible to being hacked.

Be very wary of the things, they are spyware. They have inbuilt camera/infra red devices to know when you are in the room, what and whom is watching.
no different to a lot of Android TV's with built in/USB camera's

Back