Skybox F3/F5/F5S and updating them, particularly clone versions

corkbuoy

Hi
I would like to share my experience with using a Skybox F5S, which turned out to be a clone box which caused me alot of grief, but I overcame the issues and dont have much bad to say about the box now that I am that bit wiser. For the money it is good value as long as you watch the issues I mention below.

From my reading of various different posts on this, and other forums, I believe many others have experienced the same issues that I experienced and so I wanted to consolidate as much of that info into this post in the hope that it will save many others the time I spent trawling the forums for answers to several questions and many hours of trial and error on my own.

So, I purchased a Skybox F5S in Jan 2014. I wasnt aware at the time that there was such a thing as a clone box and had no reason to believe it was anything other than genuine and there is no real way to tell until you power it up as they look identical (hence "clone"!). I plugged it in and it worked fine, I did a scan and it picked up all the channels. The box came with various plugins pre-installed, which was brilliant (CCCam, MGCam, etc). All good so far.

Once I had it running I decided I wanted to edit the channel lists and came across various posts from people who provided their lists in a TP_PROG.dbs file which can then be uploaded to your box and saves you having to edit 750 channels with the remote, which is no easy task!

I downloaded the TP_PROG.dbs list, and uploaded it to my box via USB... and from here it all went horribly wrong! :)

The list uploaded fine and it appeared to work for a few minutes and then the box rebooted for no reason and it failed to come back up. All I had was a small red light on the front of the box and nothing else... box was "bricked".

So, a trawl of the forums told me I had to use an RS232 null modem cable and flash the firmware. I did that using firmware from 3 different sites and tried several versions from those sites and they all resulted in the same problem....it was now going through the boot sequence (which was progress) but it was still not working. It would show L090, L093, L095, L097 on the display and then it would reboot again. It never reached L100. And it rebooted continuously in this way.

It was at this point I saw posts about clone boxes and different firmware. It was obvious at this point that my box was a clone and would not work with the official Skybox firmware.

I found a few sites that provide Skybox firmware. Here is the list I have so far and I'm sure there are others:
skybox.cc (Genuine skybox site, I believe.)
yojiatech.com
bi-union.com
hddvbsw.com (this is the one that worked for me,: SKYBOX_F5S_20130801.zip)

The lesson here is that before you load a TP_PROG.dbs or firmware to your skybox you need to be 100% sure that it is compatible with your skybox and you need to have a backup of your firmware so that you can recover it, if it all goes wrong.

I dont know how you can determine which website is applicable to your clone box. For me it was trial and error. There is a way to tell if you have a genuine Skybox and that is detailed on the Skybox.cc website but it requires you to have the box working to do it.
skybox.cc/newsinfo.asp?id=49

Once you have your Skybox up and running the first thing to do is take a backup. You can do that via USB but I found the LAN tool was easier. That tool is available in many places but I used the official Skybox.cc one and it works fine for me, even on my clone box. It is here.
skybox.cc/down.asp?id=13

You enter the IP address of the box and then login and you can easily download and upload the TP_PROG.dbs file without fiddling around with USB sticks between computers and the box.

Now that I had my box back in action I still had the issue of the channel list. I really did not want to do that via the box remote. So, I saw some posts about channel editors. There was one called PVR800 something or other and another one called alieditor (which looked the same)...they didnt work for me and just bricked the box again when I uploaded the resultant TP_PROG.dbs file. I believe that channel editor is only for genuine skyboxes and is the reason why I bricked my box in the first place.

I found another editor, which was actually easier to use and that was called Setedit and is available here:
setedit.de/startup_d.html

I downloaded my TP_PROG.dbs from my box using the LAN tool described above. Changed the extension of the file from dbs to abs and then open it using Setedit. From there you can add/delete/move channels as you see fit and you can also create your favourites.

Save the file, change the extension back to dbs and use the LAN tool to upload to the box again. It auto reboots the box and voila everything was exactly as I had configured in Setedit. Happy days.

NOTE: The favourites worked except for the naming of the favourites. Within Setedit I created favourites for "Kids", "Movies" etc but when I uploaded it they just had their default names of "Favourite Group 1". I dont know if this is a limitation of the Setedit tool or the Skybox but it didnt concern me that much as long as the right channels were in each group.

The following is also a useful site for checking the latest sat frequencies:
en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

Firmware flash procedure
It is well documented how to do this but for the sake of completeness I will re-iterate it here and add some gotchas.

Each of the above sites have an RS232 upgrade tool listed in their download sections. I think they are all the same and the procedure is the same for genuine and clone boxes and I believe is the same for F3 and F5/F5S boxes.

NOTE: Ensure you have a backup of your firmware before attempting this and also note that a firmware upgrade will wipe your channel list so you should also backup your TP_PROG.dbs file so that you can upload that again after the firmware upgrade.

1. Download the upgrade tool and the firmware you need to your PC from the appropriate website above.
2. Plug the box out (important)
3. Connect up your PC to the Skybox using a null modem (aka crossover) serial cable. A normal serial cable wont do.
4. Run EromUpgrade.exe
5. Select the firmware .abs file that you downloaded, NOT the one in the upgrade tool directory and tick the "Include bootloader" checkbox.
6. Select "Next". It should now show something like "Please reset box". If it shows a message like "Failed to open serial port" it means you have a problem with your PC and not with the box (since the box is off!). Ensure that no other devices (Printers, faxes etc) are configured to use the PC serial port in the Windows control panel. They can hold the port open which stops the upgrade tool from "grabbing" the serial port.
7) Now plug in the box. The PC and box should do a serial handshake and you should see the word "Done" appear which shows that the upgrade tool and the box are now communicating.
8) The firmware file will now be loaded into memory and you should see a status bar appearing showing progress. Wait for it to complete
9) Once loaded the Next button will be enabled and it will tell you that it is time to burn it to flash memory. Click Next and wait for that to finish. Once finished your box should auto boot with the new firmware active.

Happy viewing and hope this will help someone!

It seems that the yojia models have the OEM ID of 0001. Does anyone have a skybox with a different OEM ID, if so, do they know who the manufacturer is? If it turns out that OEM ID is different, then this might be the easiest and safest way of identifying manufaturers and therefor which fimware to use.

It seems that the yojia models have the OEM ID of 0001. Does anyone have a skybox with a different OEM ID, if so, do they know who the manufacturer is? If it turns out that OEM ID is different, then this might be the easiest and safest way of identifying manufaturers and therefor which fimware to use.

where do you get this OEM ID from? Is it via a menu or is it physically on the box?

i thought yojia boxes are original. as when i use to sell them thats where i got them from and i had no problem loading channel lists what so ever. it also says on AJs site that you can use the firmware from there

What if you scan the square blob type thing on the outside of the box. This also takes you to either skyboxcc or hddvbm etc. Not sure if a reliable method though but it is as per the skybox website...

QR droid on Android works perfectly in order to do the scan.

Very informative post, just got a f5s box myself and its refusing to update the to the newest 7 day epg as I'm getting "Upgrade File Is Mismatch"
I've got a gut feeling that the box is a clone, the OEM Id is 0001 on my box

Very informative post, just got a f5s box myself and its refusing to update the to the newest 7 day epg as I'm getting "Upgrade File Is Mismatch"
I've got a gut feeling that the box is a clone, the OEM Id is 0001 on my box

If you get that I've been told that it will be a clone. This was only after the original seller told me to use original fw. No thanks I thought. Have you tried scanning the code on the outside of the box?

What if you scan the square blob type thing on the outside of the box. This also takes you to either skyboxcc or hddvbm etc. Not sure if a reliable method though but it is as per the skybox website...

I can confirm that the QR Code on the retail box that my Skybox came in does indeed take me to hddvbsw.com so that seems like a reliable method to see if it comes from that company rather than skybox.cc.

My OEM ID is also 0001

Last edited:

I can confirm that the QR Code on the retail box that my Skybox came in does indeed take me to hddvbsw.com so that seems like a reliable method to see if it comes from that company rather than skybox.cc.

My OEM ID is also 0001

So is mine, but when i scan my latest code, as i said earlier it takes me to skyboxcc. Not sure if the OEMID is relevant then, as my first clone box also had the same ID (0001)

Anybody looking to purchase should try and do this scan prior to buying and if not possible ask for a photo so you can do the scan. It might help to avoid buying a clone

Like whats been said before my code is ID 0001 which is Takes me to Skybox cc What happened to ,When buying the box Make sure it says GENUINE not ORIGINAL ( CLONE )

MY Skybox F5s , OEM ID 0001 and when i scan bar code on my box its bring me on www.hddvbsw.com and only firmware work for me is on same website www.hddvbsw.com and it was firmware on 08-2013, i can not install latest 7 days EPG file , always show file mismatch but i can install any TP_PROG.dbs file on my box just i can not install any firmware from other side, any help ??? only i want to install latest firmware to work 7 day EPG

MY Skybox F5s , OEM ID 0001 and when i scan bar code on my box its bring me on www.hddvbsw.com and only firmware work for me is on same website www.hddvbsw.com and it was firmware on 08-2013, i can not install latest 7 days EPG file , always show file mismatch but i can install any TP_PROG.dbs file on my box just i can not install any firmware from other side, any help ??? only i want to install latest firmware to work 7 day EPG

Send it back to the seller if possible. Thats what I did. As far as I'm aware there is no update for cloned boxes (yet) that gives you a 5/7 day working epg. I may be wrong as new to these boxes but am only speaking from my experience which has not involved trying to force original f/w onto a clone.

If you get that I've been told that it will be a clone. This was only after the original seller told me to use original fw. No thanks I thought. Have you tried scanning the code on the outside of the box?

Yep the QR code gives me hddvbsw so its a clone. But at least i know now.

Hello All.....does it really matter if its a clone? whats the difference?

Well theres a good chance of bricking it using wrong updates as first post describes, Plus you will not have all the latest bells and whistles until/if the cloned box manufacturer releases updated firmware.

Hello All.....does it really matter if its a clone? whats the difference?

From what I can tell it doesnt matter if its a clone. It will still work perfectly fine with one caveat.... you cant use the firmware from the skybox.cc website. You have to use the firmware from the clone site and at present they are slightly behind the skybox.cc site in terms of functionality. e.g. the 7 day EPG was delivered by skybox.cc a month or so ago but the clone site has not yet done that. The latest clone firmware is from Aug 2013.

Oh!! ok...thanks a lot....I purchased my first f5s and was looking to update the firmware and channel list...guess I'll be extra careful and read a lot more first

...I dont know how you can determine which website is applicable to your clone box. For me it was trial and error. There is a way to tell if you have a genuine Skybox and that is detailed on the Skybox.cc website but it requires you to have the box working to do it.skybox.cc/newsinfo.asp?id=49...

That is only for the older Openboxes.

There is no chip ID menu for the Skyboxes.

The only secret menu I have found for the Skyboxes is 11111, but that only runs through a few tests.

i think kremmen scanning the qr is a reliable method. from what i read here and other sites however, this dose present a problem if you have disregarded the packaging

Back