Skybox F3/F5/F5S and updating them, particularly clone versions

Just got my F5S, i'm from Argentina. QR code gives me skybox.cc, so i upgrade to last firmware from skybox.cc, no problem at all. Got it from YojiaTechnology (AliExpress).

Thanks Corkbuoy a great help. You helped me through the same situation.

Would you mind sharing your channel list? I can't seem to find one for our boxes anywhere (plenty for the skybox originals)

Thanks again thus far.

Hmm, I am not a happy chappy!
I thought I had done my research and just bought a F3s from a dealer after reading a tutorial on here. (And a dealer was mentioned)
I started playing with it and noticed that the firmware was from august 2013. Searched net for the firmware number and quite a few posts were saying clone! I scanned the QR code and was directed to the hddvbsw site :(
I specifically asked the dealer if it was a clone and he said no because it also has holographic sticker on the box.
It was a long drive to Leicester and back to pick these 2 boxes up!

I would like to update to 7 day EPG but not so sure now.
Also need to update the chan list.

I will ring dealer in the morning and start off by asking him where I can get the 7 day EPG software from and also latest chan list.
I think how he answers that question will determine what I say/do next.

Not happy

Chainsaw

Last edited:
Hi,

well I spoke to my dealer this morning.
He says it is not a clone box and he has sold thousands.
He reckons that I will only be able to update the firmware by using the RS232 interface method. They done it this way so as to stop people from returning dead boxes after they have messed up the firmware updates.
He also says that there will be no problem using files from the skybox.cc website using the rs232 method.
I really don't know what to believe. To me it all points to being a clone box?
I did read on one of these threads about there being a firmware update block but cant recall which thread now.

I dont have the null modem kit, I suppose I will have to buy one of those now as well.
All I really want to do is try the 7 day epg firmware.

I aslo want to update the chan list but a bit dubious as to what effect it will have on my box.

It all works, don't get me wrong but I hate being taken for a mug!
He told me it wasnt a clone when I asked, and their website says 100% genuine skyboxes.
But I do get directed to the hddvbsw site NOT skybox.cc when I read the QR code.

He said I can take them back for a refund but Leicester is a long drive again just to do that :(

Hi,

well I spoke to my dealer this morning.
He says it is not a clone box and he has sold thousands.
He reckons that I will only be able to update the firmware by using the RS232 interface method. They done it this way so as to stop people from returning dead boxes after they have messed up the firmware updates.
He also says that there will be no problem using files from the skybox.cc website using the rs232 method.
I really don't know what to believe. To me it all points to being a clone box?
I did read on one of these threads about there being a firmware update block but cant recall which thread now.

I dont have the null modem kit, I suppose I will have to buy one of those now as well.
All I really want to do is try the 7 day epg firmware.

I aslo want to update the chan list but a bit dubious as to what effect it will have on my box.

It all works, don't get me wrong but I hate being taken for a mug!
He told me it wasnt a clone when I asked, and their website says 100% genuine skyboxes.
But I do get directed to the hddvbsw site NOT skybox.cc when I read the QR code.

He said I can take them back for a refund but Leicester is a long drive again just to do that :(
Looks like you have been done he as said you will need the cable as If you load the firmware from skybox cc You will get either file mismatch or it will Brick your box

Chainsaw...everything points to it being a clone. There's no reason why the firmware cannot be updated by USB if it's genuine. Your dealer is talking rubbish.

I cannot see it working by RS232 if it doesn't work by USB.

This sounds like exactly the issue I have got my friend, it's so frustrating lol

Hope there is a fix soon...

Last edited:
My f5s box is a clone found that out after I bricked it but it runs the 7 day EPG Also update my channel list when ever my my sub puts one out which was 1/7/14 with no problems talked to a few people that have bricked boxes that never delete there channel list before adding a new one I have always deleted mine don't no if that makes a difference

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance, guys, but how do I run/scan the QR Code please?

Many thanks
On a i phone or android phone get a app called QR reader . On the outside of the box your skybox came in there is a little box about a inch square with a fuzzy picture, scan the picture with the phone on qr reader will take you to a site where your box is done

Hi, just tried the link in the post (hddvbsw) and the site is blank. Has this been taken down and, if so, is there anither site withsimilar information?
Cheers.
I have too firmware updates on my usb I know one was the latest from the hddvbsw site but I can't remember which one they're on it months, ill send you both.
I have a clone box too I used the update on.

http://www.megafileupload.com/943m/SKYBOX_F5S_140326.abs

http://www.megafileupload.com/943o/SKYBOX_F3S_F5S_3601HD_CMT_13102406AE.abs

One of those is the clone update lads.

Last edited:
Hi ISVs I need firmware clone for f5s as my box has been crupted from uploading latest channel list. I been searching for 2 days to get a clone firmware for my f5s box. I would be greatful if you could send me a clone firmware if you still have it.

Back