Skybox / Openbox with Gifts from eBay - SCAM

This post is for all of you who have or about to purchase a box with Gift from eBay - please read fully before purchasing and share your experiences to deter others from falling into this trap.

Hi All

On the 27th January 2015 my SKY DRX890 (500GB) totally stopped working for me, I have previously purchased 2 from Gumtree but after around 6 months they all stop working (keep crashing, stuck on channels, wont show TV Guide) so instead of buying a 3rd box I decided to have a look at alternatives and came across a deal on eBay;

OpenBox V8S with 12 Months Free Gift Plug and Play

After some frantic bids I won the item for £64, which compared to my monthly SKY bill was a bargain for 12 months.

I then decided to buy a WIFI Antenna too (£6 separately) as my router is only 10 meters away and don't want a network lead showing (my OCD wont like it).

Both items arrived
I unpacked and plugged everything in, connected onto WIFI and for a few minuted I got the scrambled icon but then it all came to life.

I have been enjoying all the channels until 8th Feb 2015...(today)

SCRAMBLED
So, I have previously had this error too but a simple box and router reboot normally resolved the problems however today this did not fix anything. I do have an IP and Youtube works.

I contacted the seller who by now has 2 negatives and here's his reply;
Hi. My supplier just came back to me and told me that there server is not working anymore and they will be issuing a full refund upon returning the box.
Please return the box back to
<Address>
Once the box is returned we will issue a full refund including return postage costs.

Sorry for the hassle.

From previous experience I know once I post an item back "it was never received" so they don't have to refund and keep the item.

What are my options?

Option 1. I have since responded to him and suggested that I will keep the box but he pays me £15-20 as a part refund and I will consider the matter closed as I have withheld his feedback on eBay.

Option 2. Raise a complaint via eBay as I am still in 180 days buyers protection but then I still have to post the item back.

Option 3. Cut my losses and buy the package elsewhere.

My suggestions

Don't buy Gifts from eBay, these scammers simply get a new account every couple of weeks, no customer service or support will be given, they just want your money and start all over again.

If you really do want to purchase from eBay get a genuine box from a reputable seller and buy the subscription from this site.

So, what will I be doing now ? No idea, but I will post a few updates on here.

A question for you all?

Should I post the seller's name on here for naming a shaming to protect other innocent victims out-there? Or does that go against the rules?

Back