Slave router blocking internet access to selected devices!!!!!

scrfta

Got a strange one here guys!

I have 3 routers around my home as wired and wireless access points. The setup worked fine with a previous router I had but that died so I switched it out for a sky sr102 that I had lying around.

The sky hub is in my sons room so he can have a wired connection for his PS4 and zgemma box. Whenever I plug it in and connect his devices to it his phone and my partners phone will no longer connect to the internet. (They are connected to the main router in the house!!!)

Every other device I have tested works fine, my iphone works, partners ipad works, my samsung s6 works, it is just my partners samsung galaxy s5 and my sons s7 that will not connect. As soon as I disconnect the sky hub they start working fine again!

I am not a stranger to setting up networks as I have done my own and various others for years now. I have checked for ip conflicts and everything is fine. I am baffled as to why just these 2 devices are being blocked when I add the extra sky hub into the network.

Any suggestions before the sky hub ends up under the wheels of the next passing lorry!!!

have you actually tried rebooting the modem after plugging in the sky router.?
I have 5 re-comissioned modem/routers being used as routers in my house and have never had any issues.
the only thing I may suggest is to set DCHP on the modem/router to something like starting at xxx.xxx.xxx.50 and assign each router a fixed IP below this, thats what I have done

have you actually tried rebooting the modem after plugging in the sky router.?
I have 5 re-comissioned modem/routers being used as routers in my house and have never had any issues.
the only thing I may suggest is to set DCHP on the modem/router to something like starting at xxx.xxx.xxx.50 and assign each router a fixed IP below this, thats what I have done
I'll give this a shot tomorrow. I can't understand why this would be an issue but hey, this is technology after all and it always works great when it works!!!!!

I'll give this a shot tomorrow. I can't understand why this would be an issue but hey, this is technology after all and it always works great when it works!!!!!

give it a shot mate,
who knows,
you're the IT guru
I've only set up dozens of mates networks like this with no problems.
are you sure you have the settings in the sky hub correctly and that its not still trying to issue addresses.? some modems will work as routers OK but they will still try and issue IP if they get an allowance unless they are turned off

you're the IT guru
I've only set up dozens of mates networks like this with no problems.

Hey!! I wasn't being remotely sarcastic!!! I was merely poking fun at the way modern technology is great when it actually works!!
I took your suggestion on board, I tried it today and it worked.

I actually came back here to thank you for your assistance. I am far from an IT guru, I am self taught and learn from other people when I run into issues.

There was no issue with the way I set up the sky hub, after rebooting the main router everything starting working as it should.

Hey!! I wasn't being remotely sarcastic!!! I was merely poking fun at the way modern technology is great when it actually works!!
I took your suggestion on board, I tried it today and it worked.

I actually came back here to thank you for your assistance. I am far from an IT guru, I am self taught and learn from other people when I run into issues.

There was no issue with the way I set up the sky hub, after rebooting the main router everything starting working as it should.

sorry mate, read it back and it doesnt come out the way I said it,,,
I'd still set fixed IPs on the 'slave' routers and have DCHP on main start at something like xxx.xxx.xxx.50

sorry mate, read it back and it doesnt come out the way I said it,,,
I'd still set fixed IPs on the 'slave' routers and have DCHP on main start at something like xxx.xxx.xxx.50

No worries, we all read things the wrong way from time to time (well I do especially at my age!)

I have set fixed IPs on the slave routers and i believe DCHP starts at something like xxx.xxx.xxx.64. The fixed IPs I set are within the DCHP range though so I guess I should change that so there can be no conflicts??

No worries, we all read things the wrong way from time to time (well I do especially at my age!)

I have set fixed IPs on the slave routers and i believe DCHP starts at something like xxx.xxx.xxx.64. The fixed IPs I set are within the DCHP range though so I guess I should change that so there can be no conflicts??
yes, set your fixed IPs below the start of your DCHP
I have all my fixed items, [ TV , STBs , PC , CCTV , PRINTER , etc ] all set below my DCHP start number.
otherwise you may have issues of having to reboot your modem when you connect a fixed IP item.

Back