Sly Replacement - Best boxes to go for

KnownAsCJ

Hi all, thanks for having me here on your wonderful forum, I have learnt an awful lot off you guys over the last few days since I took the plunge.

I had been having discussions with colleges about my Sly system and thinking of replacing it for awhile now, (especially since recent price hikes in June).

One of my colleagues gave me the info on an Openbox which I thought for £40 I couldn't go wrong to dip my toe and try it out. Ordered a V8S & setup and now I'm convinced this is the way forward for me, but not with this box as it doesn't really fit my requirement for ditching my current service, however all is not lost as this box will now be used as a 2nd box in the bedroom.

The reason I am posting here is as I now have a much better understanding of how I can get what I want from boxes like theses, I am now wanting a permanent replacement for my Sly system with all the benefits.

Can anybody please recommend to me (and anybody else that's interested) a box that covers my requirements listed below, I'm looking to spend around the £200 mark to cancel my other service. (but I am quite demanding lol)

I want a box to have:

* Fast processor - for minimal lag and waiting after pressing buttons
* Twin receiver - record 2 channels at once while watching a previous recording
* Excellent & Fast 7 day EPG - (the V8s is terrible, barely now and next let alone whats on in 2hrs time)
* Series Links - This really is a must and would be a deal breaker on any box without!!
* Built in HDD - preferably 500gb + or customisable box to replace a lower spec easily enough with my own 3.5 or 2.5 drive (would accept box with 2+ USB slots for Ext drive, so long as it supports a big size drive)
* I would also like to have C/Nlines menu (available or hidden) without flashing a new OS to the box if possible (I will flash if I need to, so long as the software I put on is good enough to do so)
* Built in WiFi or enabled for me to plug in an antenna/dongle (my router is currently at the rear of the property and no easy ethernet available to plug straight in)

If all my demands a too high for my budget, please recommend the best box that will cover what I want so I can review and consider my available options.

Please don't just post, "this ****** is a good box, get this 1" - Give me the reasons, specs and your own personal experiences with it and why you believe it's what I'm looking for.

I thank you all in advance and look forward to doing some serious research on all your recommendations.

I have a Technomate TM-TWIN-OE and it does what you want.
Also, the newer TM-NANO-2 OR TM-NANO-3 will also do the job with better processor.

Both can come with ViX which supports everything you want to do.

Series link is called 'Auto timer' which are actually more powerful than series link.

Zgemma Star 2S if you're on a budget - now use Google or search on here to find out why...
Doesn't look too bad but would rather have the HDD internal, but what's the system like to live with? Is it really a good enough replacement for what I currently have (not laggy and no freezing menus forcing a reboot) price looks good but would i end up wishing I'd have spent a bit more and got something substantial. Plus is there any series link for future shows on this box as I've not read anything that mentioned it...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
VuSolo2, 1.3ghz dualcore, 1gb ram, very quick, I don't like wireless, try homeplugs.
This was / is the box I was / am leaning towards, but when you spec it up with internal WiFi (save the ugly antenna and additional USB) plus put a decent size drive in it, for a few extra quid ain't it worth going for the Duo2 instead?

I have a Technomate TM-TWIN-OE and it does what you want.
Also, the newer TM-NANO-2 OR TM-NANO-3 will also do the job with better processor.

Both can come with ViX which supports everything you want to do.

Series link is called 'Auto timer' which are actually more powerful than series link.
Cheers Wabby, I'll take a look at this later when I get a spare 20mins, sounds promising

All of the above - Zgemma, Vu, Technomate - can run OpenATV, OpenVix, etc. - so the actual software that they run will be identical (so you can use "Auto timers" on all of them). The differences between the boxes are simply down to the hardware (CPU speed, and RAM mainly) and I/O capability (AV outputs, no. of tuners, no. and location of USB ports, internal space for HDD and/or wifi, etc.).

You pays your money, etc. - and if you can stretch to the Vu models then you should be very happy with the complete experience.... but a Zgemma will give you the same experience (same software) albeit with slightly slower processor, less RAM and no internal space for HDD or wifi - for £75

All of the above - Zgemma, Vu, Technomate - can run OpenATV, OpenVix, etc. - so the actual software that they run will be identical (so you can use "Auto timers" on all of them). The differences between the boxes are simply down to the hardware (CPU speed, and RAM mainly) and I/O capability (AV outputs, no. of tuners, no. and location of USB ports, internal space for HDD and/or wifi, etc.).

You pays your money, etc. - and if you can stretch to the Vu models then you should be very happy with the complete experience.... but a Zgemma will give you the same experience (same software) albeit with slightly slower processor, less RAM and no internal space for HDD or wifi - for £75
Great input, thanks MrShades, I need to research the software next then, the BlueHD looks good for the missus to convert too but is that more of a theme within a software than an actual OS? or am I looking at it the wrong way?

Hi,

This is probably about the nearest you can get to your spec and price, twin tuner, 1.3 Ghz processor, will take
an internal HDD, genuine Vix support.

But will need to pay extra for the HDD and homeplugs

HTML:
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Xtrend-Linux-HD-Receivers/Xtrend-ET8000-2x-DVB-S2

Don't go wifi with any sat box if you can help it, go homeplugs. Total is probably around £300 with the extras.

You may find recording two programs and viewing another recording a bit of an ask with most boxes.

Another box would be the Xpeed LX2, 750 Mhz processor so slightly slower, and will only take a USB external HDD,with a pair of homeplugs ,all in about £200

Technomates have a similar spec but are a bit more expensive.

Have a look at the twin tuner sat boxes on world of sat and compare the specs.

Order a box with the Vix image pre flashed.

Your spec is for what I would say is a top end box, but your budget may be mid range if you want the whole lot for £200, so you may have to
decide on what features are a priority or up your budget a bit.

Zgemma isn't supported by vix, which is a popular image, it uses a modded "clone safe" version. No online updates.
It is officially supported by other images though, so will have similar features but I would question the long term support.

Good Luck (y)

Last edited:
Ok thanks bees, the only reason I'd rather WiFi is my router is I'm the kitchen at the rear of the property (closest to the telegraph pole) & the socket is plugged into is only a 2gang with the microwave in the other side.

I have been thinking of ditching my ISP tho in favour of Fibre from the cable company (only a couple of £ more but would loose the landline, no hardship as its rarely used) but should relocate router to front room and boost speeds dramatically from avg of 10-12mbs to 50mbs (sounds a no brainer, but try telling missus that).

You can buy "pass through" homeplugs.

Plug the homeplug in the socket then run an appliance or extension lead from the homeplug.

pass.jpg

Yeah i have them or variation of, which I have used in the past at previous property for a Wireless IP cam when I couldn't get the wireless to work.

Back