Sockets with integrated USB ports

Corby

TK Supporter
Just a bit of a rant and a warning really. We, the Mrs and I, had some fancy sockets with integrated USB ports fitted not so many years ago. The USB’s have had some usage but nothing over the top. They have now, one by one over a couple of months bit the dust. Total waste of money. I’ve done a bit of research and its quite logical why they’ve stopped and I wish I’d done my homework before we bought them. Because they’re always live the capacitors etc, sooner or later give up the ghost. Simple really but I never gave it a thought. I will not be buying anymore soon and can live with the good old three pin plug with USB socket. I knew I should have stuck to my guns when the Mrs decided they were what she wanted…

Now that is interesting. I just checked the 2 sockets that I have USB on and ...... HS they are 9 years old. I use one for ipad and the other with 2 in use for smartphones. What I did notice at one stage it did appear as if one was not charging but after a few days it came back on and not missed a beat, they are 5v 2amp.
Got them from amazon but no longer available.

Try them again after a period of time you never know. Were they very fancy ones?

Could you not complain to the maker? Nothing to lose

They are alot cheaper now ,(depending on design), and worth buying from electrical wholesalers as opposed to Amazon etc.

We have a couple of those twin ones in brushed steel i think. One socket is high power the other is lower power. One of them is in use constant use every day all day and they have been in about 7 years. Still working fine.

Pays to get a decent make like MK, BG, CLICK, CRABTREE. Also a lot of them were 2 amp but the better ones are 3.1 amp. And as mrmchd mentioned, buy them from an electrical wholesaler as they generally sell better quality ones.

Back