Some Computer problem solving guidelines.

jodav

VIP Member
1. Ensure that you have a problem, and that it is not a user fault

2. After identifying the problem, depending on what it is of course, try and reproduce it (this will help clarify if you have rectified the problem when the time comes).

3. Ask yourself what has changed recently, have you installed any new Hardware or Software.

4. Always try and keep an open mind, try not to have tunnel vision on what causes the problem you are investigating. Sometimes this is not as easy as you think, and comes with experience. (Too many people will say things like its the memory, its the hard drive, its a virus etc, and disregard everything else totally).

5. Initially, keep it simple, i.e.: check hardware connections (leads, cards etc), use OS built in tools (Chkdsk, Defrag, System restore etc), switch it on and off etc (simple is so often overlooked for more complicated options like third party Software, Post cards etc)

6. The process of elimination is key to fixing many problems. Example: computer will not boot: - after checking connections etc, disconnect everything from motherboard apart from one stick of memory, cpu+fan, graphics card. Check-add, Check-add, Check-add

7. In general, make only one change at a time, if it does not rectify the problem, undo and try the next (otherwise you could end up with more problems than when you started).

8. Try and identify if it is a Hardware or Software fault, a lot of times if the problem arises before the Operating System has began to load, it is likely Hardware, after and it may be Software. This is just a rule of thumb, and by no means always the case. Experience is helpful here.

9. Use all your available resources, NEVER BE AFRAID TO ASK or listen to OTHER PEOPLE, too many self proclaimed know all Techs are embarrassed to ask- Don’t be, because that is a sign of a good Tech

10. Document all problems you address and the resolution, this will save many hours problem solving. I should practice this more :(

11. Be tidy and organised, this makes you more relaxed, and so makes you think clearer, and dare I say enjoy your work (well at least a little bit).

12. If it isn’t broke, don't fix it

13. Remember, if you strip down and reassemble a computer, all good Techs will have one or two screws left over lol

14. The best advice is use the INTERNET, this is without a shadow of a doubt in my mind, the best tool you have in your bag, and it never ceases to amaze me how many people use this as a last resort. What is the point in re-inventing the wheel when someone has already done it, made a tutorial on it, produced pictures on it, made a video on it, posted - or is willing to post in a forum on it etc etc etc You can then go and have a few pints instead :)

Back