Some Kryptview problem solving tips and tricks

jodav

VIP Member
These are just some of the problem solving tips and tricks I have documented for general Kryptview problems. Please feel free to add more or highlight any mistakes I may have made.

Always start with the Basics

ALWAYS start by updating to the latest firmware using S\W update. MENU-INSTALLATION-0000-S\W UPDATE (see flashing the Kryptview section IF flashing Kryptview for the first time from new, or if it has old firmware that will not S/W update). Dont touch anything while box is updating and writing and box reboots. (You must have internet connected to the kryptview via an eternet cable from your router).
Check all coaxial and ethernet cables are connected snugly. Try different scart, ethernet, and coaxial leads if possible.
Check there are no provider problems in your area.
Check TechKings forum for posts with simular problems, and read all the relevant sticky tutorials carefully here.
Switch Kryptview off and on using the flick switch on the back.
Re-Set Kryptview to factory defaults. MENU-INSTALLATION-0000-FACTORY DEFAULT SETTINGS-OK then do an AUTOMATIC scan as directed below.
MENU-INSTALLATION-0000-AUTOMATIC SEARCH-NETWORK[OK] (ensuring you have scrolled to select your provider like NTL,C&W etc)-Green Button (start search)-Select your area OK. You can not do any damage so have a play scanning different providers if problems picking up channels, each time doing a factory reset first.
If problems with picking up channels when scanning, scan from direct feed no extensions or splitters.

Specific problems after addressing the basics

"Cant find the ethernet connection socket on my new Kryptview" - Peel the black square sticker off the back of the Kryptview located near the power switch.

"Scrambled\no video" - This is usualy caused by no recognized internet connection. Ensure you have ethernet connection from router to Kryptview. Channel not currently available from the server is also a good possibility so check the TechKings forum for latest posts from others. You can also try unplugging modem, router, and Kryptview, then replug in same order at 20 second intervals. If you are using homeplugs check the ethernet lights are lighting up on them both, like everything they have a life and can die after time.

"No or Bad Signal"
- No coaxial cable feed connected (at least not a good working one), or poor connection\termination, or faulty\poor splitter.

"Glitching" This can happen periodically often or not so often when Kryptview are having problems with their server. So always check on TechKings forum for new posts that others have submited. You can not do anything but wait if it is an area or Kryptview server problem.
Bad connection\termination of coaxial cables or poor splitter, ethernet lead. Could try changing ethernet lead, splitter or reterminating with new F connectors.
Sometimes rebooting of network may help,dont download torrents as that may take up bandwidth causing glitching.

You get a continious loop from P0 to P199 after flashing the Kryptview
- This can happen if you are trying to load old firmware (or wrong firmware),try flashing the box again using this Firmware for A780 , or this firmware for A750 uploaded by BoxT for A750, and if OK do an S\W update as previously above. You may need to download and install Winrar here to unzip the file.

A750 ONLY The box freezes on an S/W update once it reaches 99% of download
- This usualy occurs on th A750 only due to the fact the Iconnector module needs flashing as opposed to the the box itself. You flash the Iconnector module in the same way as you flash the box so ensure everything is connected up. This is the firmware for the Iconnector module uploaded by cactikid.

How do I find a NET ID on a virgin subbed box to put in my Kryptview scan search? On the subbed box Press HOME-HELP-SETTINGS-SYSTEM INFO-DIAGNOSTICS.. top line is your Net id number... Note it down.. Then Kryptview scan, when it asks for net id (area code) look for your net id from the list and select that one. Credit to Ted Luxton

I am trying to flash my Kryptview but it keeps saying download not requested
See the flashing the Kryptview section below.

I have flashed my Kryptview, but it is still showing scrambled or no video, it also does nothing when I S/W update.
Check the downloads section here to see if any newer firmware has been added. I try to keep the firmware links up to date as much as I can.

I have flashed my Kryptview, When I scan for network I get no region names just "Already Exist..." over and over..

credit to eileen for below fix

1. factory default MENU-INSTALLATION-0000-FACTORY DEFAULT SETTING-OK
2. delete all channels MENU-USER PREFERENCE-0000-DELETE ALL CHANNELS-OK
3. delete all sat/tps MENU-USER PREFERENCE-0000-SAT./T.P.EDIT-OK-NTL (your provider)- (scroll right, then left to delete)
4. factory default
5, edit sat/tps, go to who your provider is, change qam to 256 MENU-USER PREFERENCE-0000-SAT./T.P.EDIT-OK-NTL (your provider)-scroll right-OK-schroll to Qam and set to 256 on each
6. go to installation, select your provider MENU-INSTALLATION-0000-AUTOMATIC SEARCH-NTL (your provider)-ensure network scan selected)
7 start search, by pressing green button
8. when your area appears, scroll up and select it,press OK
9. after its finished, exit, turn off via remote,
10. hopefully happy days,

Flashing the Kryptview

I could talk you through using a USB to serial cable with a NULL cable but there are so many differentials with different comps\BIOS\operating systems that it can be hard to communicate effectively in good time, so I will not bother. Take the below advice.

My advice is use a computer that has the old NINE pin MALE serial port on it so all you need to use is the Null modem cable, this eliminates the need for a USB to serial cable connected to the NULL modem cable. If you do not have a desktop\laptop with this type of old connector on I suggest find a friend who does (this should be the only hard part with the whole process). The older the comp the more chance it has this connector.

Once an older comp is found, forget about doing anything in device manager etc (no need to set COMM ports, BAUD rate or anything), you will be able to flash your Kryptview as per the tutorial with no problems.

It is MOST important you have the NULL modem cable as opposed to a normal RS232 cable. They look visually exactly the same but are wired differently inside. So ensure you are positive you are using a NULL modem cable.

Very Important things.

1 Find an old comp with 9pin serial connector.
2 Ensure you are using a NULL modem cable.
3 Serial connection is not hot plugable on some older systems, so reboot laptop once you have plugged the NULL cable in.
5 Follow this tutorial by HiTech closely (take your time) and you should have no problem. You may need to download and install Winrar here to unzip the Bin file.
4 The box only needs to be flashed once manualy, after that you NEED to reflash to the very latest firmware over the Internet with the boxes S\W update feature in the installation section of the Kryptview menu, repeat this process until S\W update gives you the nessage "already updated", all future flashes with any new firmware updates can be done this way.The box must be connected to the Internet via the ethernet cable to do this.
5 For A780 use this Firmware for A780 . For A750 firmware use this firmware for A750 uploaded by BoxT.

9pin MALE serial port on computer.
images

This is how to do a Box to Box flash for Kryptview

1- Connect the two boxes with a Null modem cable leaving both boxes switched off by switches at the back.
2- The already flashed box would be the Master and would be connected to the TV, this box should be facing you so as to pick up remote control actions.
3- The box to flash would be the Slave and pointed away from the remote control so it does not pick up the remotes commands.
4- Switch the Master box on.
5- Go to the S/W Send, INSTALLATION-0000-DATA DOWNLOAD-S/W TRANSFER SEND, and press OK
6- Switch the slave box on just after you pressed OK above and then you should see the data copying from good box to box to be flashed, when complete box should reboot and be flashed.

Flashing the Kryptview with a USB to Serial adapter​

If you can not get at an older computer and have to go down the USB to serial adapter route, getting a driver that suits your laptop Bios, OS, and USB to serial adapter is the main problem. Even if device manager looks tidy this does not mean the driver is suitable and the adapter will work. Here are two links to two different USB to serial adapter drivers you can try.

Code:
http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41

Code:
http://www.tri-plc.com/USB-RS232/drivers.htm

Code:
http://www.gilsson.com/usb_drivers_download.htm

Each time you install a driver go to device manager ensuring the USB to Serial adapter is plugged in, open up PORTS (COMM\LPT), Double click the USB TO SERIAL entry, click PORT SETTINGS, click ADVANCED TAB, then set COMM PORT number to COMM 1, SAVE settings (you do not usualy have to change anything else like BAUD rate or the like). Then try and flash as per tutorial. If problems with flashing still, search for alternative drivers, install and repeat the process.

Leads required for flashing the Kryptview (read above and try to avoid using the USB to serial adapter unless you are computer savy)​
Null modem cable (9pin FEMALE both ends) use this by itself if using an older comp with a serial port
images

USB to Serial adapter (USB one end - 9pin MALE the other). connect the 9pin male end of this to one end ofthe NULL modem cable if you are using a newer comp that has not got a serial port.
images

Some useful videos​

Video for flashing the Kryptview A780 here
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2RbdhH7_b4
Video for setting the Kryptview A780 here
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsEvfBnceiM

How do I connect my Kryptview A780

You need a cable feed connected to the top one of the two connections found on the back of the box. To do this you need to have or fit a splitter on your incoming cable feed. So one cable feed goes to your NTL modem\superhub, and other to your Kryptview. If you already have a virgin digital\tivo box and internet then you have the splitter so just take the cable feed out of that and put in the Kryptview.

You then need an Ethernet wire. Plug one end in your wireless router\superhub and the other end in the kryptview.

You also need a scart lead connecting your Kryptview to your TV.

Hope this helps some of you experiencing problems,
jodav :)

Last edited:
for updating with s/w add dont touch anything while box is updating and writing and box reboots.
0000 password for default.
scan from direct feed no extensions or splitters.
glitching sometimes rebooting of network may help,dont download torrents as that may take up bandwidth causing glitching.

dam was gonna show you my backside but uploads are too smalllol

hmm still wrong at 1.26 and post was done at 1.22???
post edited and now correct.

Last edited:
Hi
I need to update my a750 with iconnecter.. I have a mate with a 780 with built in... Can i do a box to box update with that or does it have to be the same model?
Thanks lisa x

Hi
I need to update my a750 with iconnecter.. I have a mate with a 780 with built in... Can i do a box to box update with that or does it have to be the same model?
Thanks lisa x

As cacti said you cannot unfortunately. If your A750 has been flashed once previously then if you go into the installation section of the menu, you can go to S/W update and press OK, this will automatically update and flash your box to the latest firmware. You must have your internet (ethernet cable) attached obviously, it must have a working internet connection.

If your box has not manualy been flashed (once) at all, then you must manualy flash it and then do the above.

reading her other post it may seem she missed vital updates and now the box freezes on updating,unsure if it needs the module update and the firmware loaded by null modem cable method but she has only a modern usb pc and lappy.

Hi
Yea it freezes just as its about to reach 100 percent been left on all night and the same :( its red too for some reason i cant remember it ever being red on previous updates.. But like i said i havent used it since it went down.. The cables i have is a null modem cable and a rs32 something/usb cable ... But i have a female to usb i thought i need to go straight into the box and usb to laptop.. But am i right on thinking that can not be used alone? I need to use the null modem cable also? So get a male connecter?this is all too confusing :/
Lisa x

---------- Post Merged at 02:55 PM ----------

And yea def need an update
System info
24/04/2011 i prev thought it was nov sorry :/
Kryptview a750 pv3.8.00
V2.0.0
Women and tech do not go !!! Sorry x

Hi Lisa121,

If you are using a newer comp WITHOUT the 9pin MALE serial port (do not get confused with a 15pin FEMALE port that you use for your monitor - 3 rows of 5). Then you need a Null modem cable 9pin FEMALE at both ends. This then connects to the USB adapter cable which has a 9pin male at one end and a USB connector at the other. You then plug in the USB end to the comp and the remaining 9pin female to the box (remember the other end is joined to the USB connector. Then you are ready to flash the box.

As in my tips and tricks section this can be very complicated for various reasons, not just for newbies at this type of stuff like yourself. Try your hardest to find someone with an older computer that has the 9pin MALE port on it (regardless of which operating system is on it), remember - NOT a 15pin FEMALE VGA port which is simular in size and shape, thats used for monitors and is completely different. Then you just need the NULL modem cable by itself, no need for the USB cable adapter. connect one end to your box, and the other to the comp, then the box will flash no problems without you having to set anything up like com ports, and driver installation for USB etc. It really is a doddle for you this way.

Good Luck,

If you haven't got a serial port in your
computer you need a lead like this

Code:
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/261153182206?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y

Put that in your computer then connect your
null to the lead and the other end on the null to the box.

These leads are a bit of a pain but they do work, eventually !

Can you not use an older computer off a friend with a serial port
at the back

Hi
Thanks for your help yes i bought a cable off ebay a 9pin female one end and usb the other but am i right in thinking i need a pin male to slot into the null cable i have .. ( use both cables) as i have just been trying with the 9pin female in my box andconnecting that directly to my laptop via usb ... I have all files ready to go but get no parity message and parimetres something .. Sordy i am on my phone at the min so cant copy/pAste my orig message
Thanks lisa x

---------- Post Merged at 05:26 PM ----------

hi
followed your link and it took me to a a780 :(
thanks lisa x

Yes you have to join the two leads together. The NULL cable is 9pin female both ends. The USB adapter is USB one end and 9pin MALE the other. You must install a driver for the USB cable in order for it to work if you have not already.

The USB cable is not the NULL cable. The Null cable is the one with 9pin female both ends and you attatch one of the ends to the 9pin male end on the USB cable. So you are left with one end USB to connect to comp, and the other end 9pin female to connect to box.

If you are not tech savvy I strongly advise you again to find a friend that has the 9pin male port on their computer as it can be very problematic using the USB adapter otherwise. Then you just need the one cable (the NULL 9pin female both ends), put one end in your friends comp and the other in the box, and nothing to set up or install, just run the loader and select the file and its done easily.

Null modem
images

USB adapter
images

Last edited:
hi
i have found a friend with an old comp that has ports for the null modem lead....but it is not linked to to the internet at the moment,,,can i download the loader and the bin file onto disc and then transfer to old comp to extract files and go from there? or do i need internet connection to update my box?
thanks lisa x

lisa stick them on a usb stick loader and bin file and bring null modem cable and box and power lead then your good to go.

you can do a s/w update at home when your internet is reattached.

hi
firmwares downloaded onto box just gonna have to plug it all back in now ...what should i do now? just go straight to sw update? or delete all channels and so on ?
thanks lisa x

---------- Post Merged at 07:13 PM ----------

Connect all your leads not forgetting the internet lead, and do the S\W update, you can then do a factory restore if you wish and do a fresh channel scan. keep repeating S\W update process until box says already updated.

Good to see your getting somewhere.

Back