Sony Confirms Playstation 4

axxxo

VIP Member
227.jpg

The PlayStation 4 exists, surprise! Bet you never saw that coming. Except it's not called the PlayStation 4—not yet, anyway. But yes, Sony admitted it's in the offing in one of those indirectly-traveling-from-New-York-to-L.A.-by-way-of-China references.
Perhaps you've heard Sony's PlayStation division posted a profit for its fiscal year. Well it did, and though PlayStation sales were essentially flat, operating income was about $436 million, an about-face from the prior fiscal year's $1 billion loss.
Speaking to investors Thursday about the news, Sony Japan Executive Vice President and CFO Masaru Kato fielded questions, at one point talking up the PS3's product life, then adding "this is a platform business, so for the future platform - when we'll be introducing that product, I cannot discuss that - but our development work is already underway."
Instant 'PlayStation 4!' news churn. Which is just to say "yeah, knew that already." Because these guys never rest, and "already" could mean for one, two, or five years for all we know. News at this point would be when it's coming, not "if" or "whether."
So here's the actually interesting stuff: Kato talked about the PlayStation 3's initial investment overhead. It's no secret the monstrously complex franken-console was anything but dainty cost-wise when it debuted in November 2006. Sony more or less took a bath on the PS3, financially, to make it remotely salable.
According to Kato, the main reason for this was the difference in sale price and manufacturing cost for each PS3 console (obviously), but also that Sony spent "billions" pulling together its own semiconductor facilities.
Never again, said Kato, adding "[it] is no longer thinkable to have a huge initial financial investment like that of the PS3."
The good news takeaway, I'm assuming, is that the PS4 (or whatever it's ultimately called—NGC, or Next Generation Console?) should be a lot less expensive at launch, and assuming that goes hand-in-glove with architectural simplification, much easier to come to grips with for developers.
Code:
http://techland.time.com/2011/05/27/sony-confirms-the-playstation-4-is-underway/
Sony has confirmed that work on a "future platform" to follow the PS3 "is already under way".
Sony's executive vice president and chief financial officer Masaru Kato made the revelation on a conference call to investors today. He was asked to explain increased research and development (R&D) costs.
"For the home equipment the PS3 still has a product life," he said, "but this is a platform business, so for the future platform - when we'll be introducing what product I cannot discuss that - but our development work is already under way, so the costs are incurred there."

Kato's comments are in direct contrast those of Sony Computer Entertainment boss Kaz Hirai's. Hirai said, three months ago in March, that "a near-future PS4 or next-generation home console is not something that we are even debating now".
Hirai stressed that Sony wasn't "even at the half-way point" in PS3's lauded 10-year plan.
This console cycle may be destined to last longer than previous generations, but there are already rumours of top-tier publishing partners receiving prototype dev kits of Microsoft's new Xbox.
Meanwhile Nintendo has plans to formerly unveil Wii 2 - codenamed Project Cafe - at E3 next month.
Code:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-26-sony-is-working-on-playstation-4
On another note ...

Everyone thinks they have the latest news about the PS4 launch; however, this is the most up-to-date information available on the web. As it stands, many players will feel the bitter disappointment when the PS4 fails to launch in 2012. There is still some good news that those players should be aware of: The PS4 is set to launch in 2013. This should come in the form of an introduction at E3 at the end of 2012, setting the stage for a release in 2013.
Many players should remember when Sony announced that the PlayStation 2 would be a 10-year project. However, the PS3 was released six years later. It is true that games were still created for the PS2 during the time of the PS3, but that did not stop Sony from introducing the PS3 during the time of the PlayStation 2. Now, the PS3 has just about reached its six-year mark, which is an indication that the Sony PlayStation 4 should be announced in 2012.
Code:
http://www.sonyps4gaming.com/
image at top is just concept art

I've checked around for pictures of the "PS4" and wow there are some really creative people out there i must say..!

Is that somewhere you bring a friend of the female variety back to j4v? lol

I must be slow today, took me about 5 mins to catch that one LOL

And j4v I think you meant "joystick" but then again that could get twisted around also ;) ROFL

Back