Windows 7 Sorting files out?? (Autoarrange)

steeeve

This is doing my head in.... Running Windows 7 Ultimate, Basically got a folder full of mp3's and want to sort them out in the order I want. In XP or Vista not a problem, just click on one leapfrog other files then drop..easy. Windows 7 isn't giving me the option WHY !!!!! :dunno:

Steve

Done some looking into this for ya, and know that you are not the only one with a complaint on this. Apparently, there are a lot of very un-happy people about the fact that auto arrange cannot be disabled in windows explorer. The only fixes that I have found are registry hacks and would be completely up to you if you want to take that chance. Try reading here:
Windows Explorer Auto Arrange - Disable - Windows 7 Forums
and
How to Disable Full Row Select in Explorer in Windows 7? - The Winhelponline Blog

I have never really paid much attention to it, as I use a lot of folders for storage but after you mentioned it, I find it rather annoying. lol I believe I will be looking in to one of the many free explorer programs available. Such as this: http://www.techkings.org/useful-free-applications/5435-q-dir-multi-pane-file-manager.html

Thanks for the Info ferguj1, got to admit, im kinda glad its the p.c and not me. Thought I was losing it :). That sorted, why on earth would they remove the auto arrange on/off tab. It's pivotal to most peoples needs I would think. What if you wanted to do a slide show of pictures in the order you want... You couldn't ! (without a 3rd party program). My first Windows 7 gripe :happy:

Anyway, I think I'll try the links you have put up, thanks

Ste

I had tried Q-Dir – Multi-Pane File Manager in the past but for some reason I had done away with it. After looking back in to it for your question, it is really growing on me. Perhaps it has been updated to be more appealing, but either way I think that it has found a permanent place on my system. And yes, in regard to your post, it will allow you to order your files in any manner you wish and do it with any manner of panes open up to four. Very handy indeed. Thanks goes out to Gman for finding this.

Disable auto arrange reg hack.

This has been a pain for me, not being able to arrange music in folders, finally found a good reg hack and its simple. Steve

Click Start, type Regedit.exe and press {ENTER}

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Classes \ Local Settings \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Shell \ Bags

3. Right-click Bags and click Export. Save the branch to a .REG file for backup.

4. Right-click on the Bags key and choose Delete

5. Similarly, export and then delete the BagMRU registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Classes \ Local Settings \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Shell \ BagMRU

6. Exit the Registry Editor.

7. It’s important that you restart Windows Explorer (Shell) after clearing out the above key. Use the "Exit Explorer" hidden GUI option to Terminate and Restart Explorer.exe in Windows 7 and Vista.

2. Download disable-auto-arrange.zip,from here
How to Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 7? - The Winhelponline Blog
unzip and extract the two REG files to your desktop.
Double click on the disabletheautoarrange reg fix. And say yes to both actions.

3. Open My Computer and then close it.

4. Logoff and login back. (Alternately, you could terminate the shell cleanly and restart it. REF: Terminate and Restart Explorer.exe Process Cleanly in Windows 7 & Windows Vista).

This should disable auto-arrange and "full row select" features in Explorer.

I see this as a continuation of your previous thread, so I have moved it.

Back