Sound problems

sartranew

My Pc at home, is running windows 7 and every so often the sound goes it says no audio output device is installed, i have installed the realtek drivers but its still intermittant.
Any help?

thankx in advance

Hi sartranew,
A couple of things you can try one at a time are, preferably in this order,
Go to device manager and check to see if there are any yellow warning signs showing, if so fix them by installing correct drivers etc.
Check you can see your sound card in device manager under "Sound, Video, and game controlers".

1) If all is well in Device manager, surmizing it is a desktop, remove the side and then remove the sound card.
Blow out the PCI slot it comes out of, and also blow the card itself down (can of compresed air would be ideal if you can get hold of one). (Ignore this option if it is a laptop)

2) Uninstall the sound card in Device Manager, reboot the PC and let it install itself again.

3) Find the sound card make and model, download the latest driver from manufacturers website, uninstall old one, and reinstall the new one.

Hi
The device manager doesnt have any yellow signs, and all the drivers are upto date, i use driver genius and it states i am upto date.
The sound card isnt a removeable one, its a desktp, but when i opened the pc, the audio plug thingie goes into a fixed little box. Am i right in saying this is the soundcard?
the pc is a packard bell imedia and was bought around 2007.

Hi sartanew,
It very much sounds like your on board sound card is faulty. Yes by your description, your audio plug is going to your sound card sounds correct. You could maybe try buying a sound card from ebay.
Try running a virus scan. download malwarebytes and running that, but by your description it sounds like a hardware fault bud.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link for a new one, i cant help but notice that the product comes direct from hong kong, would i get stung for customs. Thanks

Ive bought a bit of stuff from HK myself before and never get stung with customs but just make sure to check the sellers feedback first, you might see someone complain about it getting stuck in customs, watch out for repeated feedback from the same buyer too!

As axxo stated it is always possible to run into problems when buying from abroad. Sound cards are easily available in the UK so maybe better and quicker to buy UK.
Something like this should be OK.

Check the support site for the manafacturer and see if there is a BIOS update.. you will find the current one on startup pressing F2.

try locating your model number and searching the drivers page. it will be an .exe file save it and run it from desktop

this may help

garry

Back