Speed changing due to light on ethernet port?

channelking

This issue has been going on for a long time but never really bothered too look into but it has got worse last few days.

Basically the light at the back of my PC changes different colours on the ethernet port frequently which in turn is affecting the speed.

So atm the light on the port is "green" but I am getting nearly half speed less on wired connection.

But other times when the light turns "orange" I max out my speed on wired connection.

I never understood why the light changes between both on the ethernet port thus affecting the speed.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and what the issue is and what can be done?

Could the port and even the ethernet cable be faulty?

Ye mate. So atm its green but not getting full speeds.

Other times the light goes to orange where I do get full speeds around 115meg.

Bit hard to explain properly so apologies.

All I know is something is faulty but not sure what.
I'm pretty sure that's standard. If they didn't flash you wouldn't be able to problem solve. Each colour represents it. Only way maybe is if you can turn it off in your bios settings? Some Motherboards allow you to disable it. It's nothing to do with your LEDS effecting your speeds though.

Orange Light represents a higher speed. I'm pretty sure over 100MB. A green light is a lesser speed. It's not your LED causing this. You just think it because when the Green light is on your getting a lesser speed lol. That's what the LEDS are for though.

Green Light = Connection

Orange light = Higher Speed

I'm pretty sure that's standard. If they didn't flash you wouldn't be able to problem solve. Each colour represents it. Only way maybe is if you can turn it off in your bios settings? Some Motherboards allow you to disable it.

I dont know what you mean "didnt flash"

But surely ethernet port should stick to one colour and not change to another as well as affecting whether you get full speeds or not.

I dont know what you mean "didnt flash"

But surely ethernet port should stick to one colour and not change to another as well as affecting whether you get full speeds or not.

Of course it should mate. If it didn't flash you'd have no connection lol

Green Light = Connection

That's what your noticing. Your speed is better when the lights orange. Find out why your Internet keeps dropping? It's not related to your LED though. Your LED is just showing what your Connection is currently.

Of course it should mate. If it didn't flash you'd have no connection lol

Green Light = Connection

That's what your noticing. Your speed is better when the lights orange. Find out why your Internet keeps dropping? It's not related to your LED though. Your LED is just showing what your Connection is currently.
I know light is meant to be flashing.

But I thought the light changing wasnt meant to happen. So if I am getting full speeds when its orange light it should stay on that all the time but it doesnt because it goes on the green light which screws up the speed. Even if its at green light dont understand why that doesnt give full speeds.

Internet does drop at times when the light changes. Again I dont know why.

I dont know if the port/ethernet card is the issue or whether its the ethernet cable or both.

I know light is meant to be flashing.

But I thought the light changing wasnt meant to happen. So if I am getting full speeds when its orange light it should stay on that all the time but it doesnt because it goes on the green light which screws up the speed. Even if its at green light dont understand why that doesnt give full speeds.

Internet does drop at times when the light changes. Again I dont know why.

I dont know if the port/ethernet card is the issue or whether its the ethernet cable or both.

That's exactly what it is. When it's Orange the speed is higher. You notice a drop in speed when it's Green.

That's exactly what it is. When it's Orange the speed is higher. You notice a drop in speed when it's Green.

I honestly dont get that. If the connection light is green by default you should still get the best speeds not hope for it to go to orange to get best speeds like I do.

The light is an indicator of speeds.
Not a controller of speeds.
When you are just sending emails or browsing it will be green.
If you are streaming it will be orange

I honestly dont get that. If the connection light is green by default you should still get the best speeds not hope for it to go to orange to get best speeds like I do.

I'm almost certain Orange is faster. Like Pablo says when your doing less it will be Green once you do something demanding it will be Orange. You are thinking Green is what you need but Orange is what you want.

Capture.PNG

The light is an indicator of speeds.
Not a controller of speeds.
When you are just sending emails or browsing it will be green.
If you are streaming it will be orange

Nah doesnt apply here mate.

Whenever I am streaming or downloading its still green I have checked. Still lose aroun about half my speeds also even when I try streaming or downloading.

So speeds to automatically increase if I stream or download as light stays green not orange.

It only goes orange at random times on random days.

Whenever I am streaming or downloading its still green I have checked. Still lose aroun about half my speeds also even when I try streaming or downloading.

So speeds to automatically increase if I stream or download as light stays green not orange.

Then if your not getting your speeds the issue is your end. Your port is telling you this. See my image above and according to your ISP Providers Speed determines what colour you should get

The colours don't dictate what speeds you can get.
They merely show fast or slow

I'm almost certain Orange is faster. Like Pablo says when your doing less it will be Green once you do something demanding it will be Orange. You are thinking Green is what you need but Orange is what you want.

View attachment 61523

I know orange provides the best speeds thats what I stated originally.

My point is no matter if I stream or download light doesnt change orange nor to speeds increase.

I would have hoped with it being green alot of the time I would have got full speeds even doing demanding things as has been suggested here but I dont.

The colours don't dictate what speeds you can get.
They merely show fast or slow

But with green max you can get is 100meg whereas with orange you can get 1gig speeds.

So surely that would mean speeds are factor depending on the light that on.

But with green max you can get is 100meg whereas with orange you can get 1gig speeds.

So surely that would mean speeds are factor depending on the light that on.

Yes they don't dictate your exact speed. However Green Light = Lesser Speed Orange Light = Higher Speed

Your port is telling you what Speeds you are getting. I'm struggling to understand what your asking here? If your noticing a Speed Drop then try the usual, Reboot, Swap Ethernet, Run some speed tests, Complain to your provider....

You will only get the maximum speed of your connection.
Have you bought a 1gig connection?

No lol

Its 100meg but I have been get 115meg quite alot when on orange but about 60meg when it goes to green.

I am still talking to VM about new deal and they might move me to 200mb which is gona be so pointless if I have same issues with 200mb speeds.

Yes they don't dictate your exact speed. However Green Light = Lesser Speed Orange Light = Higher Speed

Your port is telling you what Speeds you are getting. I'm struggling to understand what your asking here? If your noticing a Speed Drop then try the usual, Reboot, Swap Ethernet, Run some speed tests, Complain to your provider....

I am not sure why your struggling to grasp what I have asked.

I have done all the trouble shooting steps already and complained to VM and they have said everything is fine.

All I am asking is if I was getting 115mb speeds when on orange light then why its now stuck on the green light with nearly half less speed when I am doing demanding things like streaming, downloading etc.

Back