Windows 7 Speed Up Boot Times XP Vista and 7

MS Config for Windows Vista:
Code:
http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_vista.html

MS Config for Windows 7:
Code:
http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_win7.html

ms config snapit.png

this is my msconfig, everything else doesn't run on start up, my start up takes about 1.5 - 2 minutes, rubbish, okay, what???? running XP Pro, inspiron 1520 laptop. Don't necessisarily want to change to windows 7, though now I have an Acronis backup that I can reinstall in 7.5 minutes, maybe I might try it. Question for you guys and Girls, should I change or should I stay where I am??

cheers,
Wheelo

from what i can see wheelo,and a quick google,you realy only need the avg and the ifrmewrk,the rest are optional or not necessary at all

View attachment 2686

this is my msconfig, everything else doesn't run on start up, my start up takes about 1.5 - 2 minutes, rubbish, okay, what???? running XP Pro, inspiron 1520 laptop. Don't necessisarily want to change to windows 7, though now I have an Acronis backup that I can reinstall in 7.5 minutes, maybe I might try it. Question for you guys and Girls, should I change or should I stay where I am??

cheers,
Wheelo

Here is a breakdown of your current running start-up processes wheelo:

it is the SigmaTel SYStem TRAY process. It provides an icon in the system tray that allows quick access to configuration options for Sigmatel audio chips

Zero Config MFC Application Windows 2000/XP/2003 Service, part of Intel's ProSET utilities and installed by the drivers for many of Intel wireless network cards

ifrmewrk.exe is installed and used by Intel wireless networking cards. This program provides access to information and configuration options for your network card.

gfxtray.exe is a process which allows you to access the Intel Graphics configuration and diagnostic application for the Intel 810 series graphics chipset

"hkcmd.exe" is Intel's "extreme" grahics hot key interceptor.

igfxpers.exe is a process installed alongside the NVidia graphics cards and provides additional configuration options for these devices.

AVGtray.exe or AVGtray : AVG Tray Monitor

ctfmon (ctfmon.exe) is a process used by Microsoft Office to activate the Alternative User Input Text Input Processor (TIP)

Perhaps you can uncheck them all other than AVG Tray & ZeroConfigMFC.

If you find that some of the icons that loaded previously in the system tray are not there anymore, and you want them back, then go back to MSConfight and re-check the appropriate tick box . :)

View attachment 2686

cheers,
Wheelo

If your inspiron is anything like mine there should be options in the bios settings relating to boot times and in relation to the performance of the hard disk, nothing advanced to change dont worry so its worth a try, should shave a few more seconds off the boot time for ya ;)

By the way, press the windows key and R will open a run command window in any operating system (windows) and then just type msconfig and hit enter....

Last edited:
Cheers Axxxo, can you expand on what you are talking about in BIOS settings, ie how to open BIOS settings, then what I might be looking for when I get there??

Sorry for the delay in responding, but fortunately for me I was away on holidays.:willy nilly:

Sorry for the delay wheelo, to boot into the bios press the F2 or F4 or F8 key on startup, once in the bios scroll through the options and you will see options for the performance of your hard disk, the default option is selected, probably normal our nominal but there should be another option for performance "may be noisier" it should say. Also similar options for boot times, then save and exit.

HTC Desire S-Tapatalk

Back