Spraying steel car trailer with 240V HVLP sprayer

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of the above. I want to use the something like Metal Flow (think that's the trade name, but there are other brands too) which allows you to paint over light rust without sanding down to bare metal. These paints are very expensive, thick and gluppy, and take forever to put on with a brush. I have a HVLP sprayer that's only been used once on a fence. So I don't want t to ruin the sprayer, or waste expensive paint. Has anyone tried this before?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of the above. I want to use the something like Metal Flow (think that's the trade name, but there are other brands too) which allows you to paint over light rust without sanding down to bare metal. These paints are very expensive, thick and gluppy, and take forever to put on with a brush. I have a HVLP sprayer that's only been used once on a fence. So I don't want t to ruin the sprayer, or waste expensive paint. Has anyone tried this before?
Never used hvlp sprayer but all other sprayers I've used will only work with thin paint, even normal emulsion is too thick and needs diluting, anything 'thick and gluppy' almost certainly won't go through the nozzle

If it's only thin surface rust I'd be inclined to go over it with a wire brush, then instead of trying the sprayer, use small rollers.
You can get a 100mm roller, tray and four or five sponge sleeves from cheap shops, Home bargains/ B&M etc for a few quid, I use them for glossing doors and they give a good finish and more to the point they are quick, meaning you can build it up in layers, two or three coats in less time than doing it once with a brush

If it's only thin surface rust I'd be inclined to go over it with a wire brush, then instead of trying the sprayer, use small rollers.
You can get a 100mm roller, tray and four or five sponge sleeves from cheap shops, Home bargains/ B&M etc for a few quid, I use them for glossing doors and they give a good finish and more to the point they are quick, meaning you can build it up in layers, two or three coats in less time than doing it once with a brush
Screwfix ones are great quality

Ah rust brings back memories , i would still treat the rust with a kurust or other paint that allows to be painted over.

Good old hammerite metal paint and had to use a paint brush to get it on.

They did aerosols also but thick is better.
Hammerite, that was the brand name that I couldn't remember. Pull the arm out of you putting it on and didn't go too far either

3 or 4 coats hmmmm. I hate painting and spraying is quick

Ronseal direct to metal paint 15 yr protection
Fleetwood metal shield paint direct to metal 5 yr protection.
Rust-Oleum

Back when I worked in ICI we used to use zinc phosphate primer but it's not cheap at £80 but you get 5 litres for that, it's quick drying but don't get it in your eyes unless you enjoy screaming in agony.

I wouldn't be arsing around with little 500ml tins of commercial stuff for £15 a pop, you'll need two dozen of them to get two coats on it

Back when I worked in ICI we used to use zinc phosphate primer but it's not cheap at £80 but you get 5 litres for that, it's quick drying but don't get it in your eyes unless you enjoy screaming in agony.

I wouldn't be arsing around with little 500ml tins of commercial stuff for £15 a pop, you'll need two dozen of them to get two coats on it
Your right, £80 sounds a lot, but for a car trailer maybe not ( how big is it? ), aerosols and cans ? , you'd need a sh*t load of them for a car trailer, very costly !

To thin the paint down you would need to dilute it with water then give it a really good mix which could have an effect on the end result.
I’m with pablo get a cheap pack of glossing/emulsion rollers and roll it on personally I would sand it down then put some filler over it then undercoat and primer then paint but if wanting to use sprayer you run the risk of ruining your sprayer or another option take it to a car sprayer and see what they would charge probably a lot more but saves you the ballache lol

Rust treatments.

Have a look at the Bilt Hamber range.

Use these all the time on Car and Motorcycle restorations

Thanks for all the suggestions. The trailer is 6 x 4 ft so I won't mess arount with small quantiies. Reckon I'll nee 3-4 litresfor 2 coats. Off to start prep with flap disc and grinder

Like many of my "little" projects, this one is escalating. I have ground off all the flakey/rusty bits and used mould/algae chemicals to remove various fungi.
The lights were alway a bit iffy sometimes needing a kick or two to make them work, so today I bought new 7 core cabling, connecting plug, and a set of new led lights! I've installed the cabling today and also a jockey wheel (this make it easier to manoeuvre a loaded trailer onto the tow-bar)
Regarding the paint, I've been advised to use tractor paint and given a contact who can mix it to whatever colour I fancy.
To date I've spent around £100 - if I can get away with £150 in total I'll be happy 😊

Should have updated this week's ago but forgot - sorry.
Regarding the paint, I eventually found a local guy who paints and mixes paints for lorries, agricultural equipment and steel outbuildings and could mix to any colour you wanted. The paint could be applied by brush, roller or my hvlp sprayer (although thinners would be required for a sprayer) so I just used a combination of brush and roller. The paint itself was easy enough to apply, but impossible to remove from brushes and roller sleeves, so use disposable ones. I applied 2 thick coats and used about 3 litres - the cost of 5l of paint was about
£40.IMG_20230815_195347.jpgIMG_20230815_195331.jpg

Should have updated this week's ago but forgot - sorry.
Regarding the paint, I eventually found a local guy who paints and mixes paints for lorries, agricultural equipment and steel outbuildings and could mix to any colour you wanted. The paint could be applied by brush, roller or my hvlp sprayer (although thinners would be required for a sprayer) so I just used a combination of brush and roller. The paint itself was easy enough to apply, but impossible to remove from brushes and roller sleeves, so use disposable ones. I applied 2 thick coats and used about 3 litres - the cost of 5l of paint was about
£40.View attachment 93623View attachment 93624
Glad to help, roller sleeves aren't worth cleaning if they've been in solvent based paints.
You've got a few litres of paint left over, after 12 months or so, give it a quick rub over and give it another coat

Back