Stay Protected!

d4rkn1ght

Hello fellow TechKingser

Chances are, your computer has been infected with malware at least once. Well, ex-malware infected victim, say goodbye to infections... forever!

Okay, maybe "forever" is an exaggeration, but you can at least try! :) With the complexity of today's malware and the alarming rate of malware variety growth, a single antivirus simply will not do. What is stressed is a multi-layered defence, protecting a computer against all facets of malware attack as well as against the unknown.

The main components of a good defense system include:

Antivirus
Antispyware
Firewall/HIPS
Browser protection
Keeping up-to-date
Backups
And last but not least, a very special ingredient...

Antivirus

Antiviruses have been around since the 1980s, and they're probably going to stay a little longer. They are required to protect your computer with a vigilant alert against known viruses/trojans/worms/rootkits.

My Recommendation:
Avira AntiVir Personal
rszreflectiveantivirico.jpg

Not only is this antivirus free, it has among the lightest resource consumption
and the best detection of viruses/trojans/worms/rootkits, as well as spyware.

See here:
AV-Comparatives
AV-Test.org

Antispyware

Spyware is a relatively new threat that was not covered by traditional antiviruses, thus giving birth to the new security application; the antispyware. Even now, antiviruses don't entirely detect all spyware, which is why separate antispyware products are required. Normally, antispyware products don't offer free realtime protection, and no single one product detects all the spyware out there, thus calling for more than one free on demand scanner.

My Recommendation:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
rszpost11205697861.jpg

SUPERAntispyware Free Edition
superantispyware.png

Both of these products are among the frontline of spyware detection in today's
cyberspace, and while realtime protection is a paid feature
only, regular scanning with these free products will protect your PC well.

Other free alternatives:
a-squared Free
Note: While this product features award winning detection with the combination of antispyware (Emisoft) and antivirus (Ikarus), it is extremely prone to false positives and sluggish updates, therefore is not my recommendation.
Windows Defender
Spyware Terminator

Firewall/HIPS

Firewalls are perhaps the second best known aspect of security, and their main purpose is to keep fires out, i.e. prevent people/malware from penetrating your computer. Even though chances that a hacker will be dedicated enough to devote his/her attention to you, stray worms and script kiddies are out there on the loose. What I would recommend is a combination of both a hardware firewall and a software one. Hardware firewalls provide deep defense on a physical basis against the most common attacks, and a software firewall can provide protection where hardware firewalls do not, e.g. outbound traffic. Also, with the growth of malware varieties, not all malware can be detected by antiviruses or antispywares. This calls for an internal firewall, also called a Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS). By monitoring system activities and what executed files do, HIPS can stop undetected malware by alerting the user to it.

My Recommendation:
Router
+
Comodo Firewall Pro
rszcomodoicon.jpg

This free firewall ranks consistently among the top in both outbound and
inbound traffic protection, serving excellently both as a firewall and a HIPS.

Other free alternatives:
Windows Firewall
Zonealarm Free Firewall
Jetico Personal Firewall
Sunbelt Personal Firewall
Online Armor Free
Threatfire

Browser protection

Browser exploits are a lesser known aspect of computer security, but are among the main fronts of malware attack. Through "holes" in a browser, viewed webpages may contain scripts that can implant unwanted code into your computer. Even though Microsoft's Internet Explorer may be adequate protection as long as it is fully updated at all times, some feel safer with a browser that doesn't have as many "holes".

Free alternatives to Internet Explorer:
Mozilla Firefox
Opera
Google Chrome

If you use Firefox, make it more secure with these add-ons:
NoScript - for blocking ads and other malicious scripts
Adblock Plus - for blocking annoying ads and banners
McAfee SiteAdvisor (also available for Internet Explorer) - this tells you whether the sites you are about to visit are safe or not

If you prefer to stay with Internet Explorer, do the following to make IE more secure:

• Click Start > Run
• Type inetcpl.cpl and click OK
• Click on the Security tab
• Click Reset all zones to default level
• Make sure the Internet Zone is selected and click on Custom level
• In the ActiveX section, set the first two options (Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and (Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe) to "Disable".
• Next click OK, and then OK to exit the Internet Properties window.​

You can also protect your browser by setting restrictions on what sites are visited and what can be done on those sites. You can do so with the following applications:

Keeping up-to-date

The only way you're gonna keep safe is to be constantly up to date, just like you would with fashion. Update all your security software frequently and regularly, and also check for updates to products such as Adobe Reader and Java to get security fixes for those as well. And of course, don't forget

Backups

Backups are the only way to ensure that even if malware strikes beyond repair, you still have hope. Keeping copies of important files on a separate hard drive or CD is good practice, as well as the steps below:

System Restore

System Restore is a function within Windows that will allow you to restore files and settings from an earlier date/restore point.

Download SysRestorePoint to your desktop and unzip it.
• Double click SysRestorePoint.exe so that we can make a new system restore point.
• A box will pop up after it has made a new point, usually after a few seconds. Close that window and exit the program.​

If you run Vista Premium, Business, or Ultimate, you have the ability to set automatic backups of your files.

• Click Start > Accessories > System Tools > Backup Status and Configuration
• Click Back up files, and then follow the steps in the wizard.
• Select where you want to back up to, i.e. another partition,hard drive, CD or DVD.
• Select which files you want to back up.
• Select how often to back up.
• Select the day/time.
• Then click on Save settings and Exit.​

Read more here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

Image Backups

What is an image backup? To put it simply, it will back up all your data into a single file, including system and registry data, allowing you to do an easy, fast, and complete PC restore should your computer ever crash.

Here are some suggestions:
DriveImage (Recommended!)
Acronis
Macrium Reflect

The secret ingredient

There's a secret ingredient to it all. In fact, with this one thing, people have kept malware at bay for years without even the basic antivirus. Here it is.... COMMON SENSE!!! Surf safely; don't visit illegal sites, never open email attachments without the necessary precautions, don't click on those "You're the millionth visitor! Click here to get your prize!" ads, and such. Go online the way you think would protect you best. Read here for more tips: http://billmullins.wordpress.com/2008/11/29/common-sense-tips-to-avoid-malware-infections/

Extras:

Using a Limited User Account can increase security by limiting administrative privileges, and thus limiting actions done by malware. Read more here: http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/advanced/useraccount.mspx

separatr.gif

If you use Vista, I'd advise you to keep User Account Control (UAC) turned on. It is an excellent defense against malware.
To enable it,

• Please download this file: Enable-Disable UAC
Unzip the archive.
Run it, and when a black window pops up, type in E.
• When the tool has finished, click any key to continue, and then reboot.​

separatr.gif

Keep Data Execution Prevention (DEP) turned on.

For XP:

1. Click Start
2. Select Control Panel
3. Select System
4. Click the Advanced tab
5. In the Performance region select Settings
6. Click the Data Execution Prevention tab in the dialog box that opens
7. Select Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only
8. Click Ok
9. Reboot​

For Vista:

From the start menu, select "All Programs", then "Accessories" and right-click on the "Command Prompt" shortcut and choose "Run As Administrator". From here you can use the following command to enable Data Execution Prevention (DEP):

Code:
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

separatr.gif

Stay protected, and enjoy your time online!!

Best Regards :grin:

very compelet thanks for putting this as a a.i.o very handy

this one should be sticky

Last edited:
you were busy d4rkn1ght,
very good information, just to add I also run a program called secunia which keeps an
eye on your settings, and if a new program is added a banner comes up to tell you.
it also tells you if there are updates for your programs and directs you how to get the
updates. I like this one as it is also free and informs me without me having to search every time that there is an update. Available here

Yep.....a listing I almost completely follow.....with the exception of UAC. UAC has become more of a hinderence to me, than helpful.

looks like im about to learn an aweful lot in a short space of time, fingers crossed.

cheers ferg, just giving myself back if the pc goes down, toshiba portege 100 razor, £149 its a refurb.

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

cheers ferg i just thought id give myself back up with a lappy, rtm had trouble with his pc and got me thinking, its not bad refurb toshiba portege

I`m using microsoft security essentials at the moment but there is some very useful stuff here.

Thanks Darknight (y)

Back