Strange no signal issue

sb040

So my mate has bought a V8 and extended his sat cable using some new RG6 cable...

The problem he has, is that when he plugs in the box into his new TV via HDMI the box gives no signal (10%) across all channels including freeview BUT if he then plugs in another 15" HMDI monitor using HDMI which is not far (and also tested with it sat right in front of the new TV with both sets powered up) from the new TV it works fine i.e. 72%+ signal.

I thought it had to be the cable and advised him to purchase some webro wf100 which he has done but this has made no difference...For what it's worth the TV that gives no signal, you can see and navigate the box menus without any problems and I've tried setting it to a different resolution etc, but again, no change.

Could it be interference from the TV that causes the signal to drop or the box itself??7

The feed is running from a spare LNB connection so completely independent.

Bizarre!

EDIT - Have the same outcome when using scart to AND his old normal white $lybox :-(

The TV set in question is a techwood 50".

Last edited:
Sounds like the TV is sapping power from the receiver a possible Ground fault inside the TV itself, HDMI is powered both ends via the receiver and TV on all makes but SCART is not only from pin 8 if it is fully wired, deffo sounds like the TV is suspect

Sounds like the TV is sapping power from the receiver a possible Ground fault inside the TV itself, HDMI is powered both ends via the receiver and TV on all makes but SCART is not only from pin 8 if it is fully wired, deffo sounds like the TV is suspect

Thanks for this as it pretty much sums up what i was thinking but it helps when there is some kind of explanation to it...He's only had the TV a couple of weeks so there should be no problem in getting an exchange given that he's tried every possible combination of box and boxes and different TV's all of which produce the same result i.e. no signal :-/

Ok so new TV arrived the other day and now the freeview channels (not all) are working but the others still say 'no signal' and the same situation still applies i.e. if he plugs it into a different allbeit smaller screen TV everything works fine.

Could it be that the 2nd TV is also suspect???

I was thinking maybe the 'no signal fix' might apply here but then nothing would work no matter what TV he uses so it kind of rules that out i guess.

Same thing happening here, TV in the dining room works fine, living room no luck

He found a workaround in the end...No signal fix did not work either.

So, in the end he connected the smaller tv/monitor to the larger (not working) tv using a monitor (pc) cable and the box to the large tv via hdmi as well and the large tv is now working when the smaller one is left in standby.

Seems like the smaller one is boosting the signal just enough to do the trick.

I reckon the lnb is weak/at fault but he'll leave it as it is for now...

Back