Strange problem with SkyBox F5s

Doc_Gonzo

Hello everyone! I have a set of problems that I hope you can help with.
I have owned a F5s box for nearly 2 years and it has given me near flawless service. . . . until 2 days ago. Whilst the girlfriend was watching something, the picture went all pixelated, froze, and a mixture of red and green covered the screen. The box had frozen and wouldn't respond to the remote control. The LCD screen on the box read the channel number it was stuck on and the LED light on the box had turned RED. I unplugged it from the mains and plugged it back in again many times over the next hour but it would not work. The following day I tried again to get it working and this is what happened. (This was yesterday and I had to go through half an hour of the same thing this morning before it worked!)

The box would show 'Load' on the screen, then start to search for channels. It would get to channel 40+ and then freeze, (at which point I would unplug it and try again) - then it would freeze multiple times getting a bit further every time. Sometimes it would get to showing 100 on the LCD screen. . . . and then start searching again. Eventually I get the 'splash screen' with the SkyBox logo and it would work for a few minutes showing a channel before freezing again. Finally it will load up and work as it should but it must take a good half an hour of switching it on and off to get it going. Initially I thought it was completely dead and I only tried to get it going so that I could retrieve certain files from it, that I know I will need to get my Sky channels on a new box.

My first question is - does anyone know what the heck is wrong with this box? I have checked the Ethernet cable, satellite dish cable and power lead and they all look okay. No update was done prior to this happening and the box hadn't been touched at all. It was rather warm to the touch when it first happened though. . . . overheated and damaged maybe?

My second question relates to setting up a new box (Openbox V5s). I have ordered the new box from an online store but I have bought just the box as my current 'channel package' should have another 3 months left. The first box I bought came with the Sky channels pre-installed so I had to do nothing - it just worked. No adding a 'Gift' or messing with files and before yesterday I had not even explored the settings menu fully! The guy I bought it from is no longer around so I can't ask him about this.

I have read the forum and my brain is on information overload! I have copied the CCcam.cfg file and the newcamd.list file from my current box (as well as a bunch of others) - is that all I will need to get a new box working? I have found the dummies guide and read a lot of other posts and am confident that I can install a channel list and the other files but I don't know if both of the files that I mentioned are needed. I am getting confused about what a 'cline' and 'Nline' are! To clarify, I have never purchased a 'Gift' and so I do not know what files are needed for that. I have just guessed from what I have read here.

Sorry for the length of the post and thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Already bought the OpenBox. I know very little about this stuff so I figured that it would be easier to transfer my 'package' to a system that I am already slightly familiar with. With what I'm learning now, I'll buy a better box in the future. . . . if all goes well with setting up the Openbox and maybe fixing my current Skybox.

Openbox Setup
· Press the menu button and go to network local settings.
· Select Camds setup (if not there press 66666 or 00000 and it will appear.
· Then select CCcam Client Setup and then manage config files then CCcam.cfg.
· If there is anything here please delete it.
· Go to add and enter the details here
· Protocol = CCcam
· HOST =
· PORT =
· USER
· PASSWORD
· Then press ok and you should see the new line you have entered.
· Press ok on the remote control and a tick should appear.
· Then you need to press exit and it will say saving data
· After its saved press exit again
· Then press power button to turn off
· Now turn back on
· When it has loaded press FAV button on remote and go to movies premier.

@ Aslam - Thanks for the offer - I'll drop you a message if I run into any problems.
@ marksmith012 - thanks for the instructions! Wow - It's really that easy? I sure hope the OpenBox arrives tomorrow :grin:
If anyone has any ideas about what could be wrong with my current box, please do let me know. It's been switched on since 8am this morning (same yesterday) and it's working fine. It's just all the hassle to get it switched on that is the problem.

...I have copied the CCcam.cfg file and the newcamd.list file from my current box...

Did both of these contain information?

You can transfer these to your new box using the "Upgrade by USB" menu, rather than having to put them in manually. It will save making any typing errors & is much quicker.

Surely you must have installed new channel lists over the 2 years you have had your box? Or do you scan for channels when they move transponder?

Have you tried using a different mains adapter with your current box? It might be worth a try if you have another 12V type with at least a 2A rating.

Yes - both files contain information. The CCcam file starts with "N:" and then gives server info, username, pass etc. The newcamd.list starts with "CWS =" and then gives the same info. Does that mean that I have both types of line (C & N)? Should I upload both of them to the new box?

Thanks for the reply! I was expecting to have to use the upgrade by USB method and I'm fine with that. I only updated the channel list once before the box started freezing and I followed instructions from the guy who I bought it from. However, I did do it again after the box started acting up and I used AJ's list as I had lost a few channels. The update worked great after following instructions on here. I had been meaning to do it for a while but didn't know where to look for instructions. Only the box freezing on me made me find the time.

I don't have another power supply to try but I will have when the new box arrives - I'll try that - thank you!

I left the box on standby last night as it has been coming out of standby fine once I get it working. BUT, it isn't working again now. It loads all the channels, displays a picture and then freezes within seconds. I'm on attempt number 8 now and it's staying on for longer than usual (about a minute so far).

EDIT to add: Just after I posted it didn't freeze but it started scanning the channels again, loaded up, displayed a channel and then promptly froze!

Before you set up a new box just try the new psu as 90% of problems can be attributed to thepsu [plug and lead] which deteriorate over time.
Reaper.

btw...when the box starts up, it doesn't actually scan for channels. The numbers on the box are just a counter from 1 to 100 to show that it's booting up.

Thanks to everyone who posted!
@ The Reaper - Thanks for the info. I got my new box and I tried the power supply and lead from that. It is identical but it didn't solve the problem with my old box which it still froze / crashed.
I plugged in my new box, hooked up the leads, added AJ's channel list and then added the newcamd.list file from my old box via USB as per the instructions found in another thread. I can hardly believe that it was so easy! I now have a fully working box and all my channels are there :woohoo:
I guess I'll just bin the old box!

One other thing I would like to know is if it's possible to find out who has the server I'm connecting to. It's well known as I looked it up on google and they used to have a website. Unfortunately, the website is no longer active but I have had such good service from them that I would like to renew my subscription when it ends in a few months. I don't think I am allowed to name the server here?
But if anyone thinks they may know, please drop me a PM!

I left my personal files and details stored on the box so putting it on Ebay probably isn't a good idea. . . . unless I can get it going one last time and remove certain things;)
On a brighter note, If the box hadn't died on me, I would never have come here and learnt all that I have. At least now I am pretty clued up on how things work - thanks to the great threads, members and guides on here!

I left my personal files and details stored on the box so putting it on Ebay probably isn't a good idea. . . . unless I can get it going one last time and remove certain things;)
On a brighter note, If the box hadn't died on me, I would never have come here and learnt all that I have. At least now I am pretty clued up on how things work - thanks to the great threads, members and guides on here!

Could you tell me where you got box from I already have 1 but it was brought with gift but line only lasted 5 months I sorted out a new line. Its just my sister wants 1 but I don't know a seller who sells originals not clones thanks.

Back