Suppliers recomended speeds

mike123

VIP Member
TK Supporter
We all know that suppliers say you need between 10-15 meg to run IPTV.

Remember that is the minimum requirement I always think of a pc running windows 10 on minimum specs. Yes it will work but it may run very slowly.

I have always thought of a minimum to avoid any issues with IPTV closer to 25 meg on busy days like match and PPV events.

I am lucky in regards to I am only the one in m household who heavily uses the internet.

So wifi and wired have sufficient speeds to stream without buffering or other issues occuring.

When Netflix and other streaming services are advertised on TV they say 10mbs minimum required.
I'd have thought 10mbs would be sufficient for iptv at least for SD/HD

When Netflix and other streaming services are advertised on TV they say 10mbs minimum required.
I'm guessing could be different for live TV though but could be wrong.

FHD streams for iptv I imagine will require that extra speed to cope with the stream playing without issue.

Live isn't really live on iptv though.
It's simply downloading from a server like Netflix except the content like footy/rugby etc has only been there 20 seconds before you download it.

I dont think we can compare Netflix with a IPTV provider. I just looked how much bandwith my sheild is currently using and it is 27.5 meg pic quality= 1920 x 1080

Last edited:
In regards to Netflix they generally compress the streams it's never really untouched or the highest bitrate.

Where as certain providers who offer VOD have really high bitrate streams for shows and films and if compared to some on Netflix there is a noticeable difference.

For sd 3-5mbps for hd 10+mbps for fhd a good 15-20mbps in speeds would be needed but then I've watched fhd on 15mbps on WiFi with minimum issues.
We all know that suppliers say you need between 10-15 meg to run IPTV.

Remember that is the minimum requirement I always think of a pc running windows 10 on minimum specs. Yes it will work but it may run very slowly.

I have always thought of a minimum to avoid any issues with IPTV closer to 25 meg on busy days like match and PPV events.
You would be amazed I've seen people watching HD ppv on weak WiFi speeds as they live out in countryside ect

I think you will find 10meg is plenty for iptv, I think the issue is more the stability of your broadband/home network.
Only time i find buffering issues is when vpn takes a hit. when I then check speed its in the 6-8 range, once speed is back up above that all is fine, so I agree 10meg is a good base line. Obviously that is at device not router

Just setup to allow only 10 meg to goto sheild.

It played SD and 720 fine. However, to get FHD to stream nice and smooth had to crank up to nearly 17 meg.

Took all restrictions off router and the sheild is still demanding 25 meg for FHD.

Back