Swapping receivers.

Hi @cactikid,

Let me go through the order of things:

I have had several satellite receivers since 1995, mainly Technomates at the beginning. up to around 2017 (I think), when I purchased my first Zgemma - an H2S which worked fine, also on the same motorised setup which has been up for at least ten years.

In May of 2019, I decide to upgrade and purchased the Zgemma H9.2S and it worked fine with the same motorised system - both tuners worked fine, although I only used one at any one time.

About a year ago, my late brother gave me his days old VU+ Zero 4K because he was used to Technomates and could not get on with it. I decided to try it immediately and it has worked fine - better than the Zgemma, in that the tuner is far stronger - so I have been using it since then.

Just recently, I discovered that I could actually watch one channel and record another, and decided to reinstate the Zegemma due to its two tuners, and it is not finding the satellites or anything. I have not changed anything becuase the set up is the same as it was when I first used it.

I know the receiver works because, As I have already stated, I have tested it at a friends house without a motorised set up.

Nothing at the motor or dish has changed EXCEPT the LNB. The old one was a single LNB - and indeed VERY old, but worked fine - and the new one is a Technomate TM-2 Twin Universal LNB.

I hope that this makes sense, but I am trying to give a picture in order to avoid confusion.

Thank you so much for taking the time to assist me! - You and everyone who has contributed!

I know the receiver works because, As I have already stated, I have tested it at a friends house without a motorised set up. = Meaning its pointing to a sat

Connect up the vu and see what sat dish is pointing to.

Power off remove box and stick zgemma in and is it pointing to the same sat , check the green button for choosing sat list and see if it gets a signal.
Same for the tv.

Last edited:
Oh, ok...

Yes, I have done that several times before removing the Vu+ and when I have connected the Zgemma, there is no signal at all in Signal Finder.

I think that I shall pass the Zgemma on to someone who does not have a motorised system, as it works fine, and go for something else.

Are you familiar with the Gigablue that I mentioned in post 19 above?

Nein as i have the older Quad version with 4 sat tuners.

Your 100% sure when you had the Zero connected it was pointing to say 19.2 ????

When you connect the Zgemma it is asso pointing to 19.2
Pointing to other sat = no signal

As said if it works elsewhere your setup is not correct.
Hence why i am on your back as its easy to see what you cant see.

Apologies to all for the late reply, but work gets in the way of leisure...

Thank you all for your responses and help. @lamblamb, I think that you are right, and that starting afresh is the answer.

I am beginning to become desillusioned with Zgemma, though, as the VU+ seems to have a much stronger tuner, in any case.

I am wondering whether it would be far better to invest in a receiver such as the Gigablue UHD UE 4K UHD 2xDVB-S2X FBC (8 demodulators). I know that it is far more expensive but, will it offer me the option of watching one channel and recording another - on the same satellite, of course?
You won't be disapointed with the gigablue.

Hi @cactikid, I really do appreciate your being 'on my back'!:laughing:

Yes, to all that you mentioned in you post. I point the satellite at a particular sat, say 19.2 with the Vu+, replace it with the Zgemma, which in fact, only has 19.2 on it, for the purpose of testting,... and nothing.

I understand exactly what you mean, about how it is easy to miss something and that is exactly the reason for coming on here and requesting assistance for kind people such as yourself, so thank you!

@woody6222

Thank you for your comment! Am I right in thinking that with the Gigablue I shall be able to watch one channel and record another (or others) from the same satellite, not necessarily from the same transponder? That will be the deciding factor for purchasing it.

Thank you for your comment! Am I right in thinking that with the Gigablue I shall be able to watch one channel and record another (or others) from the same satellite, not necessarily from the same transponder? That will be the deciding factor for purchasing it.

With only one universal LNB, the Gigablue will be able to receive from one band/quadrant ( whichever the LNB is switched to) because it has an FBC tuner. Non-FBC tuners would only do one transponder. You still have not answered the questions about your dish setup or attached a picture of your LNB/s.

The golden rule of tuner configuration is that the configuration must match what is hooked up/connected to it. If you have configured both tuners but only one of them has a signal wire, then it won't work correctly or at all.

The physical layout of what you suggested/hinted about your equipment is as pictured. If the picture accurately reflects the reception hardware, any twin tuner receiver (if correctly configured) will allow you to access two transponders on two different bands/quadrants on the same satellite.

Attachments

• twin tuner motor and 2nd cable.jpg
    twin tuner motor and 2nd cable.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 18
It wont have exactly the same setttings as 2 different boxes ie manfacturers. You need to say what image, size of dish, make of motor, have you installed a channel list for a motor, have you a twin tuner and have you configured the tuners correctly?? Answer these and then we can help. The zgemma may not be able to drive motor.
I have had 4 different zgemma models & all have driven the motor attached to a 1.1m dish, without issue & that is with a 30 metre cable. I often hear mention of Zgemma boxes not having enough power output to drive a motor, but this is simply not the case.

I have the GigaBlue Quad 4K and it's a fantastic box. It's super fast and I'd certainly recommend it if you're looking for an upgrade, although I fear there may be some kind of user error going on here.

I've got a couple of Zgemmas as well and the signal on my GigaBlue is much higher than those. To the extent that a transponder on the Zgemma which might be breaking up will often be fine if the same LNB cable was plugged into the GigaBlue. Although I expect your signal would still have to be very marginal, say one that regularly went off in the slightest bit of rain, for your Vu+ box to recieve something that your Zgemma can't.

Can you tell us what kind of SNR% you're getting on the Vu+ box. If it's decent enough then coupled with the fact your Zgemma is working at your friend's house then this would suggest you're making an error somewhere.

Are you sure you're not putting the LNB cable into tuner B and not A on the Zgemma?

Also make sure you're using Astra 19.2e KU band not Astra 19.2e KA band in the tuner settings.

You shouldn't have to but if all else is failing I'd be tempted to reflash the firmware and start again (make sure to back up your line).

The GigaBlue UE 4K and Quad 4K both have two built in FBC tuners and another two (non FBC) Plug and Play tuners which can be added. With a universal LNB you can, in laymen's terms, make multiple recordings from a quarter of the transponders on one satellite on each of the FBC tuners at any time. Replacing your universal LNB for a unicable LNB would allow you to make multiple recordings from all transponders on one satellite on each of the FBC tuners at any time.

Back