Tethering my mobile to my laptop

36red

So I have an android phone and do this:
1. turn off wi-fi
2. turn on mobile network - mobile data - data roaming
3. turn on bluetooth
4. tethering & portable hotspot - portable wi-fi hotspot -hotspot settings - configure hotspot - give it a name and turn it on

On the laptop I can see the name of the new hotspot and click on it, it says connecting but no internet?

I get some error about DNS?

What am I doing wrong here?

thanks

First, turn off anything to do with bluetooth as all that is doing is consuming power and exposing both your phone and laptop unecessarily.
On your laptop, in the network settings for the connection to your phone's hotspot you'll need to set a DNS server to use. (This is because there is no DNS forwarder or resolver running on your phone or your laptop).
You can use any DNS server you want - personally I'd use eitjer Quad9 (9.9.9.9 ) or Cloudflare ( 1.1.1.1 )

Now you have told me what I should be doing I will look on google for advice on how to do this in Windows 10.
Thank you for your help and advice.

Well I can't get fast internet speeds where I live with my phone line only able to access adsl2+ so I am going to try out 4G as I can see a 4G mast from my window and on my mobile phone a speed test shows speeds up to 40mbps.
So if all goes well I will ditch BT for good like many peiople have.

Well I can't get fast internet speeds where I live with my phone line only able to access adsl2+ so I am going to try out 4G as I can see a 4G mast from my window and on my mobile phone a speed test shows speeds up to 40mbps.
So if all goes well I will ditch BT for good like many peiople have.
When I said BT I mean Bluetooth,
That has nothing to do with WiFi.
Try a 4G router first, speeds can vary massively across the day, I have speeds from 3/4meg to 50meg+

When I said BT I mean Bluetooth,
That has nothing to do with WiFi.
Try a 4G router first, speeds can vary massively across the day, I have speeds from 3/4meg to 50meg+
Yes will do am going to get a cheap Huwaei one hopefully from fleabay and see how it performs. My neighbour has 2 different 4g routers and uses 2 different networks with an outdoor aerial.

Last edited:
get a shed
big problem with pubs
TVs and wifi
go to the pub for a beer, leave tech behind,
I have my phone turned silent in the pub, except for emergency numbers

Last edited by a moderator:
get a shed
big problem with pubs
TVs and wifi
go to the pub for a beer, leave tech behind,
I have my phone turned silent in the pub, except for emergency numbers
You do what you want and i do what i want quite simple

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so I tried to tether this morning and wham bam straight away it worked. Got speed of 35mbps from Lebara so well chuffed with that it's a big improvement on 8mbps adsl2+.
I would guess that with a dedicated 4g router the speed could even get a bit better maybe up to 40mbps.
What I did notice is I could not access some site that I normally visit on my laptop, torrent sites and pirate bay not loading :-(
Any idea wha'ts causing this fellas?

Okay so I tried to tether this morning and wham bam straight away it worked. Got speed of 35mbps from Lebara so well chuffed with that it's a big improvement on 8mbps adsl2+.
I would guess that with a dedicated 4g router the speed could even get a bit better maybe up to 40mbps.
What I did notice is I could not access some site that I normally visit on my laptop, torrent sites and pirate bay not loading :-(
Any idea wha'ts causing this fellas?
Use a vpn and those sites will be blocked by some providers

I know I should use a VPN and I totally agree but on my adsl2+ connection when I tried one a while back the speed decreased to crawling as I only get 8mbps at the moment.

Back