the best box to get???

hi, im new to this and was wandering which is the best box to get? ive currently got sky, tv, broadband and phone. my father in law has got a starview box, gets all the channels and pays less for 6 months viewing than i do for 1 month :( so i bought a starview box for a couple of quid off someone by me, but i think its too old. any help would be most appriciated. thanks, jason

I dont know if you`ve rigged it up to the TV yet. If you have press menu > system info and let us know what it says.

Have you not asked the Father In law about which box he bought?

not rigged it up yet, will do that in the morn and see what it says

---------- Post added at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

just connected it, it says:
star view
api ver : 4.ooe_E
boot ver : 7.0
7.jun.2007

That box is long finished. Its a starview 1.

Have a look at the links below , take your time and have a good read before deciding which box you want. You will have to pay a sub for the starview.

Starview

KryptView

For Satellite ,

Satellite

The Blade Media seems to be one of the most popular sat boxes atm.

i have a starview and i wouldnt recoment them at all channels missing the servers are rubbish and now they want you to pay for it

I'm also wondering which box is the best to get, I'm hoping for some help from the most experienced guys who have been around here on the forum.

From what I have currently seen. The two biggest boxes on the market are:

Cryptview and Starview, the major difference being that the Starview would require a subscription service.

Are there any other boxes out on the market which do not require a subscription, but also have a HDMI connection and possibly the ability to install a hard drive.

I currently have Virgin media with the Tivo starter service, which to be honest sucks. The box itself feels really nice. Good quality build and a decent box, it's a little slow but over all good since you can install apps onto it like BBC iPlayer and Ebay. Well I'm not after all that.

So which box do you guys recommend, how often would I need to flash the firmware on the box.

I'm mostly just looking for others personal opinions on taste and the quality of the Starview/Cryptview boxes. How long you have been using them and what the general issues are and how frequent they are.

I also notice that the boxes need a LAN connection, but I'm not 100% sure why. Surely the boxes are just flashed with the modified firmware and the appropriate codes are entered to recieve the desired channels. I could understand why the Starview may need this as its a subscription box which ( I think ) connects to a specific card share server through the internet connection to sync.

Can anyone shed some light on the above matters?

Cheers in advanced guys.

codes are a thing of the past,all boxes will need a lan to decrypt channels from a server,sat or cable,other box not mentioned is the blade combo,will work on cable and sat side but needs a sub,nothing is free anymore,we want your money,unless you go for a freeview or freesat boxes.some boxes can have external hard drives.

codes are a thing of the past,all boxes will need a lan to decrypt channels from a server,sat or cable,other box not mentioned is the blade combo,will work on cable and sat side but needs a sub,nothing is free anymore,we want your money,unless you go for a freeview or freesat boxes.some boxes can have external hard drives.

So if nothing is free, then apart from the subscription...what is required apart from purchasing a receiver box. I saw the blame combo, however I thought it was just for satellite, I didn't look into that box too much.

So whom exactly is the box contacting to decrypt the transmission of the channels, or is this part of the modified firmware.

If the Cryptview does not require a sub, where is it getting the decryption (key?) from.

blade combo i would say you find own server for sat,cable may be harder to find as it wont be advertised possibly being in uk,and sat servers can be anywhere.you pay a sub to your server as you may have to go through a number of free tests to find a supplier that does not glitch or freeze,it will be a cline or like an ip address that box will contact,wrong details entered will send you somewhere else and get no connection.
kv gets their info from their place that is why boxes need a lan feed also.

blade combo i would say you find own server for sat,cable may be harder to find as it wont be advertised possibly being in uk,and sat servers can be anywhere.you pay a sub to your server as you may have to go through a number of free tests to find a supplier that does not glitch or freeze,it will be a cline or like an ip address that box will contact,wrong details entered will send you somewhere else and get no connection.
kv gets their info from their place that is why boxes need a lan feed also.

So when you pay a subscription service, it's essentially just a premium service that gives you a direct connection to a decent server for the decryption key to the channels.

Are there public ones easily found for the CryptView box, also the BladeCombo box is only under the Satellite forum section, I assume you are referring the same one?

Thanks.

no kryptview has its own locked server you cannot use any other,same as starview cable boxes.yes you are paying for a service for box to work,but remember no warranty of how long things last as you can pay for a year and server can vanish next week.most people just buy the blade sat box as a 1 tuner box,combo is a 2 tuner box as one for sat and 1 for dvbc/t [ choice of dvbc or dvb/t tuner i believe. ]

no kryptview has its own locked server you cannot use any other,same as starview cable boxes.yes you are paying for a service for box to work,but remember no warranty of how long things last as you can pay for a year and server can vanish next week.most people just buy the blade sat box as a 1 tuner box,combo is a 2 tuner box as one for sat and 1 for dvbc/t [ choice of dvbc or dvb/t tuner i believe. ]

Cheers for the help cactikid. From all these hours I've spent, I think I may just resort to using the Kryptview.

It's been around for over a year now, despite 'apparently' being raided, the still managed to get the server up, and though the server has been down before a few times, it has always seemed to end up coming back on line within a few days, so the quality of Kryptview seems like the best choice.

I don't think I have the time to search for private card sharing servers, I have been searching myself but I still cannot seem to find anything of decent material on the net. I have come across a few 'free' servers, but trust worthy can they be and what channels am I likely to receive from them when I could just simply setup the Kyrptview.

Back