The great illusion of punditry & how VAR is its new cashcow

BoardmanX

Sky / BT / ESPN / whoever

Punditry and how its all become the cashcow in modern football.

We cannot escape it any more - we see it all week-long to build up games and then all night long and day after games, the debates are non-stop and VAR has become its new cashcow.

They will constantly debate subjective decisions now made by VAR, and they love it. If VAR decides a decision is "A" then the punditry debate will be it should've been "B" and what we all at home watching need to realise is this is the game they want to play and spin. The truth is if VAR actually decided the decision was "B" then the whole punditry debate spin would be it should've been "A".

VAR has become the great punditry cashcow dream - they now have something that will subjectively divide all watching, and they instantly can debate a spin from all sides thus getting you to watch for longer. Tuning into the game is no longer enough - they want you before the game and after ..

All of it from start to finish has become commerce.

The only thing wrong with var at the moment in football is that they don't show the fans at the match on a big screen what the decision is for. They paid good money to watch the game, so should not have to wait till they get home to see why.

The only thing wrong with var at the moment in football is that they don't show the fans at the match on a big screen what the decision is for. They paid good money to watch the game, so should not have to wait till they get home to see why.

I think some could possibly argue it's what VAR is for - The big sales-pitch sold to those viewing on a screen. Screw the fans at the game, they're busy watching the actual game not the big sales pitch screen at home.

The BBC wanted to attract more female viewers to match of the day so their fellas could watch it. So they introduced 'eye candy' for the women. They chose a panel of Gary Lineker, Alan Hansen, Alan Shearer and Ian Wright. Something for every women was needed. So they chose black, white, Scots, English, Blond, shaved headed, dark haired, funny and serious men. :sick:

Sky / BT / ESPN / whoever

They will constantly debate subjective decisions now made by VAR, and they love it. If VAR decides a decision is "A" then the punditry debate will be it should've been "B" and what we all at home watching need to realise is this is the game they want to play and spin. The truth is if VAR actually decided the decision was "B" then the whole punditry debate spin would be it should've been "A".
All of it from start to finish has become commerce.

Attracting viewers is the intention of any TV programme. So if my team loses because of a VAR decision I will disagree with that decision. If my team wins because of a VAR decision I will agree with that decision. The programme makers want controversy so that the team's supporters that the decision went against will continue watching.

Completely agree, the fans need to be involved.

Back