The IPTV Market: a look at Supply and Demand. A UK/US/Canada bias?

Hello everyone,

First and foremost, please be aware that I genuinely enjoyed coming up with such a thread's title. However, my question is of the utmost seriousness and intrigues me. Allow me to elaborate: for over a year now, I have been subscribing to various services and providers, testing them extensively. Unfortunately, the test results are seldom conclusive because, in the long term, the service tends to become more unstable than in the short term, and often, it simply does not meet my requirements. Specifically, French channels (especially those related to sports) are frequently absent and unreliable.

After enduring a series of failures and disappointments, I began to wonder if the issue might simply stem from a mismatch between my need and the typical supply and overall demand. All the providers I have tested (including those here) appear to have a primary focus (geographically speaking) on the United Kingdom, the United States, and Canada. Indeed, these channels seem to work quite well, which aligns with the idea that the demand is predominantly English-speaking. Browsing through this forum, this intuition strengthens, as it appears that the majority of you are also interested in these channels (UK, US, etc.). Of course, some might argue that this is logical given that this website is based in the United Kingdom, but despite that, it seems to me that this actually supports my intuition. A forum like this one is created where the demand is strongest. Therefore, I would appreciate your perspective on the matter, specifically:

1) Is there truly a bias in favor of English-speaking countries, which consequently leads to channels from other countries like France being unstable (did you also notice that and do you agree with this statement)?
2) If such a geographical bias exists, how would you explain it? Is the audiovisual market more fragmented there than in other countries?

Thank you for your responses and insights!
You undoubtedly have far more experience than I do.

SG

You might be better looking at Satellite on 19.2 east for the canal+ channels, They work on e2 box with oscam maybe someone can confirm they work with viark/V8uhd also

Interesting points raised. In general one wouid expect a forum of this type in most developed countries, particularly one so close in many ways to the UK. Questions I might have are:

Is there a legitimate way of viewing sports, movies etc in France that people don't find too expensive, hence the need for piracy isn't there?

Is the availability of football on TV better in France than the UK? It's currently impossible to legally watch any Premier League matches that kick off at 3pm on a Saturday and that drives up demand for iptv, especially as there's so many other countries with services streaming the matches in high quality.

Are people in France more concerned about the consequences of getting caught watching illegal streams, or maybe just more honest in general than people here, or maybe copyright infringement is not as socially acceptable as it is here?

Interesting points raised. In general one wouid expect a forum of this type in most developed countries, particularly one so close in many ways to the UK. Questions I might have are:

Is there a legitimate way of viewing sports, movies etc in France that people don't find too expensive, hence the need for piracy isn't there?

Is the availability of football on TV better in France than the UK? It's currently impossible to legally watch any Premier League matches that kick off at 3pm on a Saturday and that drives up demand for iptv, especially as there's so many other countries with services streaming the matches in high quality.

Are people in France more concerned about the consequences of getting caught watching illegal streams, or maybe just more honest in general than people here, or maybe copyright infringement is not as socially acceptable as it is here?
I use a 60cm dish I get astra 19 live in East Midlands and no you can't view it legally unless you live in France

1 and 2) I don't think so. The supply in France is highly fragmented (between private broadcasters) and public television does not broadcast any football matches (or other sports) free of charge. Everything is broadcast on private channels. Taking football as an example, Ligue 1 (the national league) is shared between Amazon Prime (70%) and Canal+ (30%). To watch the Champions League, the best matches are broadcast on RMC Sport and Canal+ and then the rest are broadcast on Bein Sport. The Europa League is split between Canal+ and RMC Sport, and so on. In other words, the supply, even in France, is really very fragmented.

3) From a macro point of view, it's hard to say. I'd tend to say no, but I'm only basing my opinion on myself and the people I know (which isn't necessarily representative of the French population).

Back