The VPN 'myth'

I've been a cynic of all the VPN talk. Well, today I've experienced it and can verify with absolute certainty that it was an ISP block at play.

A large block of sports channels went off during the early PL kick off and then came back on afterwards. Same again for the 3pm kick offs.

For any doubters out there, the ISP block is an absolute reality. It's 'hold your hands up' time from me.

DW

If there's a court order, which there is, then it'll be pretty much all of them. They have no choice really. The main concern is whether they find which IPs are distributing the content they're trying to block. Mine is back off now due to there being a PL game on.

What was the 'myth' you thought there was? Loads of servers were blocked at the start of the season, a vpn at my end sorted it on one sub till the provider found a way around it at their end. Another sub I had pre-empted the block somehow and their streams never went down.

I'm not alone in thinking it was a myth. I've seen the VPN excuse being used to fob people off over freezing streams, where I even signed up to one myself but it did bugger all. Consequently, there has been several differences of opinion on here about whether they were actually needed. Today I discovered for myself that it is in fact real.

Just holding my hands up, that's all. :-)

They can't block what they don't know about. Your suppler IP is still safe....or they have a solution in place.

All I know is that mine (and other's) have gone off today during PL games, but a VPN got me watching again through VLC player. Sadly, my own build Vix image has trouble running Open VPN, so I'm working on that as we speak. :)

No....the whole server gets blocked - it's an IP block. In my case, all Sky Sports, BT Sports and a handful of foreign well known sports channels were black. I can only conclude that maybe his supplier of those channels have the block rather than himself - but I may be wrong on that.

see thats what i was just thinking
is it who they are getting it off is the problem

as these iptv agents dont host all the channels they get them from many different people

i would still change agent if that was the problem
why pay for something to open it up
when you can by another that will work

then that will give you a backup for channels and maybe a place to record from

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but Plusnet throttle my BB while the footy is on if they suspect you are streaming. They have no idea what you are connected to but they can estimate from your profile.

i would have thought server side would sort all that out ?

I think most have now - one of the providers I have took a short while to get their head round it so in the meantime they recommended a VPN at the customers end. It worked too, when I turned the VPN off the channels went blank, turned the VPN back on and the channels cleared.

I am with bt and got a vpn a couple of months ago. I have managed to keep all the sports channels with the server blocks now using the VPN. I tried stopping and enabling the VPN today with the 3 pm kick off's and it froze as soon as I switched off and started up again as soon as I enabled it again. No doubt they will get this the same as cs. Enjoy it while it lasts

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but Plusnet throttle my BB while the footy is on if they suspect you are streaming. They have no idea what you are connected to but they can estimate from your profile.
I use plusnet and they don't throttle my connection, I would hard reset your router and leave it off for 2 mins once a week to clear the cache out.

You'd be pretty annoyed if you were legitimately streaming the matches and the ISP you pay good money throttled the speeds!

I am with bt and got a vpn a couple of months ago. I have managed to keep all the sports channels with the server blocks now using the VPN. I tried stopping and enabling the VPN today with the 3 pm kick off's and it froze as soon as I switched off and started up again as soon as I enabled it again. No doubt they will get this the same as cs. Enjoy it while it lasts
It's a bit easier to restrict when it's distributed from just one source though. :-)

Some iptv suppliers have a workaround in place,mine went off for a moment and it was back within 15 mins,they have ways around it so I’m always weary of iptv resellers that push a particular vpn sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back