Thinkpad X60s BSOD Memory fail help needed

madsam106

So, my thinkpad X60s has been running well since I bought it a couple of years ago. Last week while running Memory Map program (hooked up to my Garmin GPS) it crashed with the old blue screen of death

uploadfromtaptalk1446059458944.jpg

and would then not reboot! At first I thought the hard drive was duff and bought a new one - fitted it bit still wouldn't boot. Got some help of another forumista off here via pm suggesting it may be memory fail.

So, I removed one of the two memory sticks (1x1gb and 1x512mb) the 512mb one and voila we have boot up into Windows XP. I bought a replacement stick and fitted it and it wouldn't boot.

I'm now running on 1gb of ram but have a new 512mb in a box that the thinkpad doesn't like :mad:

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated

Cheers in advance

Sam

sent from my Huawei Ascend G300

Try the 512 in the slot occupied by the 1G. It could be a slot issue as opposed to memory issue.

Was going to send you my old 2gb stick but looks like that system is ddr2 :( should be able to pick up another stick pretty cheap though if it's the cause

Put both sticks in and boot in to BIOS and see if the system is seeing both sticks, if not then chances are its not a memory issue but a motherboard failure on the memory port

Put both sticks in and boot in to BIOS and see if the system is seeing both sticks, if not then chances are its not a memory issue but a motherboard failure on the memory port

Thanks all, looks like a memory slot fail!
I actually really like the build of these little Thinkpads so will have to decide whether to

Buy a 2gb stick and run it in the working slot
Leave alone and plod on with 1gb
Look for replacement X60s or equivalent on the bay

The thinkpads are good, the upgrade to 2GB would be the cheaper option too but is this the perfect time to buy a new pad? You may spent the money on the upgrade to 2Gb and the 2nd slot could fail too or something else. You could consider taking it to your local PC shop and see if they can fix it cheaper, they may spot a issue that saves the thinkpad in the long term

Back