Time to upgrade my very old Receiver - Looking for quality this time

Atari2600

I know this question has probably been asked sooo many times and you all probably are sick to death of answering it, Im sorry guys!
currently have a Zgemma star H1 box, it is so slow my gran can do things quicker than this.
using it for cable,

i want to know first of all - is there any good quality enigma 2 boxes out there that also has andriod on ? as im thinking to also get rid of the Firetv, if not then still happy to hold onto my firetv

ideally looking for 2 tuners (both cable) so i cant record and watch another
if i can get andriod also on it even better - it means i can get rid of firetv - if not no big deal.
4k but again i assume this will only come useful for andriod apps ? as i assume channels like 4k bt sports and sly 4k channel we cannot recieve in 4k ? even though it is broadcasted ?
needs to be quick response and quick at loading ,

Is there any improvement in picture and sound quality between lets say a £150-£200 VU+ box compared to a £70 zgemma box ?
i dont want another zgemma box, want something that has also got a decent build quality.

thanks guys

Have a look in for sale section members have some very good boxes for sale and would put what image you want on ect

The Zgemma H7C is in a different class to the H1, you wouldn't be disappointed with it.

hi it may be but it is still a zgemma = build quality is sh*te - plus just a had a quick read on it - its only got 1 gb ram - it may be much faster than my ancient star h1 but 1gb ram isnt going to do it now a days with all these new skins and plugins etc

Have a look in for sale section members have some very good boxes for sale and would put what image you want on ect

hey

yes i will look at it but ideally want something new not used, as for image i can do that myself - just looking for a quality reciever now and something alont quicker

anyone heard of miraclebox ? i like the look of them but not sure what build quality is like - world of sattelite have stopped selling them
so not sure

The only box I've seen struggle with new images and plugins is the zgemma star2s box but tbh you should only install what plugins you need and don't have a bloated image keep it as minimal as possible and any box will do what you want it to do lol

You can spend some serious £££ on these boxes. I have the h7s and I also have the vu duo4k
It just depends on what you wanna spend, I love the vu boxes but to be honest the h7 range are good. It would be a world apart from what you have now.
I am forever changing my boxes but the h7s Ive stuck with, so if that doesn't convince you then I dont know what will, for 120 quid you cant go wrong

The only box I've seen struggle with new images and plugins is the zgemma star2s box but tbh you should only install what plugins you need and don't have a bloated image keep it as minimal as possible and any box will do what you want it to do lol

True say
But I’m one of those guys who like all the picons channel info images etc etc lol
But you are correct - that’s what I had to do with my crappy star H1
When I was using iPad - turned off all picons , images etc and even them it wasn’t brilliant

You can spend some serious £££ on these boxes. I have the h7s and I also have the vu duo4k
It just depends on what you wanna spend, I love the vu boxes but to be honest the h7 range are good. It would be a world apart from what you have now.
I am forever changing my boxes but the h7s Ive stuck with, so if that doesn't convince you then I dont know what will, for 120 quid you cant go wrong

Is there a difference in picture quality and sound if comparing the VU box and the zgemma

What is it that I’m actually paying for if I was spending £200 on a box or £100 ??
Apart from the brand name ?
Is there an improvement in picture quality ? Because thy are using better components ??

Hi guys

Obviously I’m on the look out to but a new receiver and in the receiver world! my knowledge about brands and models isn’t brilliant in fact I don’t know!

What brands of receivers are good quality / high end - medium end would you say are?

What are the top manufacturer / main players in the receiver world?
Top 3?

Going just by on the price, I assume anything between £40-£100 for a box would be a budget, cheap and cheerful but does the job ?
£150-£250 range would be middle of the range
£250 plus would be high end ?

In car terms
Mercedes, would be high end
Audi , would be high-medium end
Vauxhall , would be low end
IF COMPARING these 3 makes!

Or in TV terms
Panasonic / Sony , high end
Samsung/LG, high - medium end,
Asda on brand , low end

How would you compare receiver box manufacturers?

Kind regards

I've got 3 Vu+ boxes and a Zgemma H7 in daily use at home.
The Vu+ range are considered high end but the Zgemma matches them in performance.
The Zgemma is virtually identical spec to a Mutant HD51 which is a highly regarded receiver.

I've got 3 Vu+ boxes and a Zgemma H7 in daily use at home.
The Vu+ range are considered high end but the Zgemma matches them in performance.
The Zgemma is virtually identical spec to a Mutant HD51 which is a highly regarded receiver.

Thanks for the reply

Your zgemma matches it in performance but how about build quality
Picture/audio quality
And remote zapping Cus I find mine (old) to be proper crap have to point directly at the box literally straight at it not in an angle

The mutant HD51 why is this particular model considering very highly ?
Is it to do with the spec vs price ?

Last edited:
I can't see any difference in picture/audio.
Build quality also seems fine.
I don't know about the remote because all my boxes are hidden and use IR extenders. (£4 from eBay)

H7s for me, I have had Mutant hd2400 good spec but no match for the new zgemma,also the high end talk is rubbish!! I owned Sony Bravia full HD 50 inch and replaced it with 55 Changhong uhd for nearly half the price 5 years ago, the picture is stunning, the sound is through high end Panasonic theatre system win win win

The build quality you have answered yourself as you still have an H1 which is years old & still working, picture quality on 2160-4k mid/high-end systems (ARM boxes) is noticeably better than mipsel boxes, as is the speed on ARM systems due to higher spec's.

What do you get on the dearer systems over the H7, switchable tuners, number of tuners/TV's they can feed, software upgrades such as WiFi, bluetooth, fancy picture panel on the front of system, longer warranty & peace of mind owning a trusted brand (if that matters to you)
Welcome surprises with the H7: It is a close contender to the dearer systems in speed & function terms, Zgemma no longer suffer firmware restrictions so VIX can be installed, plenty of support

Last edited:
Back