Toilet leaking

Hi fellas

I have replaced the inlet valve washer on my toilet to stop the horn nosie.
Two questions:

1/However the flexi pipe to toilet inlet from the floor is leaking at both end, it got a bot twisted lol.
Is it easy to replace this as I'm rubbish at DIY?
Tpipe.jpg
2/Can I replace the old ballcock system with a new design like the Flomasta Bottom Entry Brass Shank Fill VAlve from screwfix?
Thing is I'm not sure is the cistern has enough space to fit one?
Tspace.jpg
Tcistern.JPG
Tbits.jpg
Thanks for any advice.

Where is the water coming from as that flexy pipe should have a rubber washer inside at either end.
Main water would need shutting off first before you flood the place and check no water is running into tank when switched off.
I like the idea of a shut off valve in the flexy joint.

Hi cactikid thanks for replying.

The water is coming from the connections at the top and bottom of the flexi joint as far as I can see

Can I get some kind of end piece for the pipe coming out of the floor if I can manage to unscrew the flexi pipe, thus stopping any water coming out of the pipe?
I can then just get a bucket of water to flush the toilet until I can find someone cheap to come and have a look as I'm unemployed at moment and don't have much spare cash. :cry:

Yes you can get a stopper / blanker nut to seal the pipe but water needs shutting off first assuming there are external threads.
I do hope you have an adjustable wrench for pipe work and not using hands tight which is too loose and not sealed.
How did you fit that flexy pipe?

or this

If you have replaced the washers you can replace it with a new pipe making sure it has washers inside it

Attachments

• pipe plug stop end.jpg
    pipe plug stop end.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1
Can I get some kind of end piece for the pipe coming out of the floor if I can manage to unscrew the flexi pipe, thus stopping any water coming out of the pipe?
I can then just get a bucket of water to flush the toilet until I can find someone cheap to come and have a look as I'm unemployed at moment and don't have much spare cash. :cry:

You could do as you suggest, what you'd be needing is a compression blanking nut or a compression plug for each end of where you've removed the flexi. However, you can probably buy a new flexi for a similar price. Flexi's are pretty easy to change if you've got/can get a spanner to fit, and know how to turn the water off at the mains. Be lots of videos showing how to do it on YouTube

Yes you can get a stopper / blanker nut to seal the pipe but water needs shutting off first assuming there are external threads.
I do hope you have an adjustable wrench for pipe work and not using hands tight which is too loose and not sealed.
How did you fit that flexy pipe?

or this

If you have replaced the washers you can replace it with a new pipe making sure it has washers inside it
I didnt fit the flexi pipe.
Wont an end cap just fit onto the pipe from the floor once the flexi is off?
This compression end cap shows an olive etc but surely thats already on the pipe?
Thanks for your hep, lifes crap being skint and having no toilet!

You could do as you suggest, what you'd be needing is a compression blanking nut or a compression plug for each end of where you've removed the flexi. However, you can probably buy a new flexi for a similar price. Flexi's are pretty easy to change if you've got/can get a spanner to fit, and know how to turn the water off at the mains. Be lots of videos showing how to do it on YouTube
Yes I turn the water off a mains downstairs no problem.
So a compression plug would just screw directly in to where the flexi has been unscrewed from the pipe coming up from the floor?
Thanks for your help.

Is it your own property private land lord or council property if private landlord they should repair it for you same with council house they should repair it for you unless it's your own then down to you to pay

The second one in picture is just the nut with a seal inside a bit like the flexy pipe nut as the other as you said is a compression fitting for a virgin pipe.
I would be trying a new flexy joint and get a small tube of sealant and apply to threads just before fitting as water can weep out through threads.

Back