Toilet will not flush

zack

i am kind in panic mod trying to get a plumber and the price, with this virus going on,is it easy to change a toilet cistern , i have never done it before, but i eventually got a guy wanting £100, there is no pressure to flush it, £10 for part me doing it or £100 a pumber, anyone done one before, i don't want to make an ass of it..lol

i am kind in panic mod trying to get a plumber and the price, with this virus going on,is it easy to change a toilet cistern , i have never done it before, but i eventually got a guy wanting £100, there is no pressure to flush it, £10 for part me doing it or £100 a pumber, anyone done one before, i don't want to make an ass of it..lol

It would help if you took a picture, is it the old syphon flush type or the newer on with the little button?

Yeah thanks been on it think i have to pull all back off lift it up, then put it back seal it , i just hope if i do does not leak..do i take a chance or no lol

This is the one I need to fit . Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200509_215449347.jpg
    IMG_20200509_215449347.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 34
That's just a (bog) standard syphon flush.
Take a photo of the old one before you take it out so you have a reference point later.
Turn the water off at the mains.
Turn cold tap on at.the lowest point, Eg kitchen.
Flush the toilet in question.
Use rags/cloths etc to soak up the inch or so of remaining water in the cistern.
Take the old one out and put the new one in.
The only place it's going to leak is where the flush pipe exits to the toilet.
Test it with a few cups of water in the bottom before you switch the water back on

Hi it is just a normal ballcock float, i am in 2 minds will i give it a go or not, def save 90 bucks if i do it..lol i am flushing bucket of water every time its used.

I have emptied the sink it is dry now, that is a good idea with the couple cups water see what happens.

yes that is fine it is just the flap that lets water in and out has had its day, prob 25 years of it to be exact.. i know what to do, but new ones you can fill lower or higher, just by up or down you want more or less flush, old ones you never had that option.

So basically you need a big grips to loosen nut underneath and clean internal and external washer mountings so its clean and seals.

Tbh if you can find a competent handyman it'll cost you a fraction of what that plumber has quoted you.

The new one comes with idiot proof instructions.
If you can undo and then tighten up one plastic nut, you'll be fine, if you can't, who's typing your posts for you? :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

i think most of old ones have 2 wing nuts under toilet and 2 screwed to the wall, and back lifts of and you take the old one off with grips and replace it with new new one and there should be hole in middle and you do the reverse, i have never taken a back of and never changed a cistern, it sounds easy enough..lol never is with me..

Back