Transfering everything from one internal hard drive to another

gazc87

Alright lads and lasses!

I decided to upgrade the hard drive in my laptop a while ago but ever since then the laptop has been overheating and shutting off without warning. I have been using the new hard drive a while and have a lot of programs and data I want to transfer straight onto the older hard drive. Is it possible to do a back up onto an external hard drive and switch internal hard drives over then upload the back up onto the original hard drive?

I think that makes sense lol...There is enough space on the original hard drive for everything on the upgraded one.

I can't think of anything else that might help people work out a solution so hopefully someone will have the knowledge!

Many thanks

Gaz

Yes you can do what you are suggesting using a 3rd party software such as Acronis True Image home among others, not all are free though. (See This Post)

But before you leave the trap, are you sure the drive is the issue? When you installed the OS on the new drive did you also install the correct chip-set drivers?

Yes you can do what you are suggesting using a 3rd party software such as Acronis True Image home among others, not all are free though. (See This Post)

But before you leave the trap, are you sure the drive is the issue? When you installed the OS on the new drive did you also install the correct chip-set drivers?

Well I can't say to be honest I took it to a shop for them to install the windows and drive. I upgraded ram at same time and couldn't get the laptop to boot up and it ended up being one of the ram sticks was broken.

Even if they haven't done this why would my laptop overheat and shut down? It definitely only shuts down when the laptop gets red hot.

Thanks for your help so far buddy

Are you sure it's overheating or assuming it's overheating?

Does it just shutdown without notice? or does it blue screen?

Try using only one stick of ram and if that's what you are already doing try that stick in the other ram socket.

If you right click on computer and choose "Manage" then look at your device manager and see if it is reporting a problem with any of your devices.

I'm assuming you are on Win 7 but you don't say???

Always give as much detail as you can about your setup when seeking assistance.

I can feel the bottom of my laptop and it is very, very hot. The laptop never shuts down unexpectedly if it is coo, it only shuts down if the bottom, mainly where the hard drive is situated, gets red hot.

The laptop just shuts down without notice, no blue screen etc.

As far as I can see device manager is showing no problems.

Sorry, yes I am using windows 7 premium home edition x64. I've just downloaded that acronis true image and i am using the free trial. See what happens (y)

All laptops get hot when running for an extended period but they shouldn't get that hot.

A lot of the time it's down to the processor cooling fan being blocked with dust so it might be worth getting access to that and blowing it out.

When you say you had it in the shop? Was that just for the new drive and fresh OS install in order to gain more space or was their an issue with overheating at that stage too?

I had a similar issue with my sons gaming laptop and it was none of the obvious things causing it. I eventually solved it by doing the following, you should give it a go too, you have nothing to lose ;)

Procedure:

In Win 7 go to

Control Panel

Hardware and sound

Power Options

In power options, click on the link for "Change Plan Settings" (for the chosen plan)

Click on the link for "Change advanced power settings"

In the resulting window, scroll down to "Processor power management"

Set the "Minimum processor state" to 80

Set the "Maximum processor state" to 90

Restart the system and see if it sorts your shutdown issue.

If all else fails it's back to the shop.

Cheers mate but it was fine before it went in, I've checked for dust and my 4 year old laptop is surprisingly gleaming inside!

I have done what you said but now I am thinking I may just reformat my old hard drive and start again and bring over only what is necessary.

How easy is it to format a hard drive and install windows 7 home x64 without a disk?

Before you wipe,

Download the Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit) Eng ISO file HERE:

Use a free Prog called Imgburn to burn it to DVD and use that to do the reinstall using your own key ;)

Best of luck with it :)

Last edited:
Back