TV coax cabling

tarnbrick

I have moved into a new build house and need to set up my TV, Computer, Internet etc. I need to have a TV aerial installed. I am confused by the coax cabling installed by the builders. There is a TV wall socket in the living room and one in a bedroom. In the loft the coax cable is a loop about 6 feet long which would appear to feed both TV sockets. I expected to find two cables waiting to be connected to a splitter which would then be connected to the aerial. But this is a continuous cable. So is it a single piece of coax that is connected to both TV sockets and is simply waiting to be cut in two by the aerial installer? Then after cutting attach both ends to a splitter and then cable from splitter to new aerial? I can't think of any other explanation. It seems as though they have cabled one of the TV sockets then run the cable up to the loft where they have left a 6 foot loop after which it has gone back down to the other TV socket. Maybe this is the way builders do this nowadays.

Doubt it in your front room and bedroom do you have wall plates with a bit to plug a tv aerial into??? As my parents is similar all they did was get a length of coax cable put the tv aerial connectors on plugged one end into wall socket and other end into tv and tuned tv in no issues same with bedroom there’s looked like this3B96DF15-8088-4836-B5A6-19F0AEEF6A3E.jpeg

Yes I have two TV wall sockets which are cabled up with coax. They are not connected to an aerial because I haven't got one yet. The question is whether the coax in the loft is waiting to be cut so that a splitter and aerial can be installed. Thank you for your interest.

Yes I have two TV wall sockets which are cabled up with coax. They are not connected to an aerial because I haven't got one yet. The question is whether the coax in the loft is waiting to be cut so that a splitter and aerial can be installed. Thank you for your interest.
No splitter required.
Just cut the cable and connect both cut ends into the new aerial

If was me I would put the aerial bang in middle of cable in loft so can be connected without use of a splitter and hope it works lol.
Only thing with new builds most don’t allow you to do much we was going to move into a new build and asked about certain things straight got told can’t do this can’t do that ffs

Putting the aerial inside the loft would be the easiest way, presuming that the coax is installed the way I think it is. Not sure the reception in the area is strong enough for a loft aerial. Builders of new builds seem to live in their own world. Don't get me started on the non flushing and non emptying toilets, and then there's the broadband saga...

I think your assessment of the situation is correct, that they've left the loop to be cut and joined to an aerial.

Personally I'd buy a cheap TV aerial and see what it picks up when connected to wherever you can get the wire to go to. Or talk to the neighbours and see if anyone's already gone through a bit of trial and error and settled on a solution.

I think your assessment of the situation is correct, that they've left the loop to be cut and joined to an aerial.

Personally I'd buy a cheap TV aerial and see what it picks up when connected to wherever you can get the wire to go to. Or talk to the neighbours and see if anyone's already gone through a bit of trial and error and settled on a solution.
That's a good idea. Just waiting for aerial installer number 2 to turn up. Installer number one said he didn't know what to do

if your putting aerial in loft do it yourself, buy and aerial and connect to cable, easy. Just hang aerial with two pieces of string or similar, from hooks or nails.

If was me I would put the aerial bang in middle of cable in loft so can be connected without use of a splitter and hope it works lol.
Only thing with new builds most don’t allow you to do much we was going to move into a new build and asked about certain things straight got told can’t do this can’t do that ffs
I used a French man, last summer scaled the roof top & the chimney, no nasty cables showing as he traced them through tiles, after gently grinding a recess..
The least I could do was make him tea.. he was a top bloke Henry..

Back