TV screen half dark

channelking

Hi guys

Really hope someone can help me.

I have a Samsung TV and problem started over last week.

So any channel I view now half the screen is black. I believe it was flickering but not now. Also noise was coming from the TV.

Have rebooted cable box and TV still same issue.

Really worried screen has gone not sure how. But can't afford a new tv. Even if I could there is stupid amounts of tv's out there.

Anyone experienced my issue and managed to fix it?

Dont think power surge, as got surge protector extension so would prevent fusing to prevent the electronic devices from being destroyed.

What would I need to check in TV menu? Settings?

Tried different HDMI half screen still dark.

try the box on a different TV to see if it's that
try a different input on the TV, like a firestick or playstation to see if there's still half a screen
is it half botom/top or side/side?

Have you tried on normal TV like freeview see if does it then or Netflix bbc iplayer if it does looks like picture tube to me

Old smart TV doesnt have youtube built it

Dont have freeview on TV just sat/cable mate.

That is what I am worried about inside light/parts are burned.

try the box on a different TV to see if it's that
try a different input on the TV, like a firestick or playstation to see if there's still half a screen
is it half botom/top or side/side?

Can the box really cause half dark screen as thought would be TV?

Have streamed media from phone to TV and still half screen is dark.

Its left side of screen which is dark and right side which is normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
im no expert but can u do a pic test.
Picture Test? Menu > Support > Self Diagnosis > Picture Test.
dont know if it applies to ur tv , i dont have a sammy tv

I would ask how old tv is as will presume they should give life of tv for so many years,if it fails in under that is one able to argue its not up to the task?
i have upgraded from 15 year working tvs to a larger screen.

Just over 8 years old this was.

Reset the TV and changed other settings same issue. Tried different inputs with devices but again half screen black. So seems light has gone and is burnt.

Seems the makers of TV just want to you to keep feeding them more and more money and they pay poor quality TVS that dont last long.

No doubt non smart TV from years ago lasted over 10 years. Nowadays with modern technology it is designed NOT to last.

Brother has bought a temporary 4k tv in the meantime lol.

With so many TVs out there not sure what the "best" one is.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you hold a torch to the screen can you see the picture,?
If so it's prob either the LED driver or the LEDs themselves,
A £5 fix either way usually if you DIY it.

From what I have been told mate last month is that inside light is burnt hence half screen is dark now.

Expensive to fix it.

From what I have been told mate last month is that inside light is burnt hence half screen is dark now.

Expensive to fix it.
If it's the LEDs they are about a fiver for ten, if you are handy with a soldering iron (or two simultaneously ) it's a fairly easy fix, just a bit time consuming.

If it's the LEDs they are about a fiver for ten, if you are handy with a soldering iron (or two simultaneously ) it's a fairly easy fix, just a bit time consuming.

Not DIY guy mate, learnt my lesson with things I carried out number of years ago and went pear shaped lol.

Dont want to throw it away as was good TV.

Brother bought this panasonic 4k LED one after issue with old one. Said its temporary until finds better one. Obviously 4k seems superior with the quality.

Brother have 4k tv back so using old Panasonic tv I had for 10 years still going ok.

Still got old Samsung as didn't feel like binning it as would be a waste. If led lights are dead hence why some of the screen is dark no other way of fixing than opening tv up and soldering?

Back