Linux Ubuntu to revive old laptop

dave007

Hi All

Pleased with this so passing it on. I have old laptop windows 7 etc a bit slow so use ccleaner but slows down again in a few weeks etc. I used a software tool Rufas to create a boot usb stick with ubuntu 20.04 on it. You then boot from the usb stick . You are then given various options . I chose to make a partition on the hard disc so you can use Linux or the old windows 7. It works very well. Very quick very responsive. It come with all the basic things you need wp ,fire fox ,file management. I added Google Chrome. Very very pleased gives a new lease of life to old laptop. You can even use the old windows files across the partition from the ubuntu side.

Hi All

Pleased with this so passing it on. I have old laptop windows 7 etc a bit slow so use ccleaner but slows down again in a few weeks etc. I used a software tool Rufas to create a boot usb stick with ubuntu 20.04 on it. You then boot from the usb stick . You are then given various options . I chose to make a partition on the hard disc so you can use Linux or the old windows 7. It works very well. Very quick very responsive. It come with all the basic things you need wp ,fire fox ,file management. I added Google Chrome. Very very pleased gives a new lease of life to old laptop. You can even use the old windows files across the partition from the ubuntu side.
I've been using Ubuntu for about 12 years now,
I couldn't ever go back to using bloated windows.

Any particular problems in the 12 years ?
Nothing that couldn't be worked around.
I like it that much when my kids bought me a new laptop 2 Xmas ago the first thing I did was delete windows and install Ubuntu on it.
If you need to use certain proprietary software you can always use a VM, otherwise most windows stuff has a Nix equivalent.

Nothing that couldn't be worked around.
I like it that much when my kids bought me a new laptop 2 Xmas ago the first thing I did was delete windows and install Ubuntu on it.
If you need to use certain proprietary software you can always use a VM, otherwise most windows stuff has a Nix equivalent.
Ok thanks for that. . Am I right in thinking the only security stuff you need to do is make sure Linux is regularly updated?

Ok thanks for that. . Am I right in thinking the only security stuff you need to do is make sure Linux is regularly updated?
More or less, you can't run as an administrator like you can in windows, so nothing can self execute without your permission.

Back